• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My dyeing journal - fails and wins

Flush

I want to keep track of my dyed discs, and also keep notes on what worked (for me) and what did not work. So I figured why not do it here. That way I can keep track, and maybe not do the same mistakes later, and maybe someone that wants to try dyeing later can learn something from my mistakes.

So, this is my first dyes:

Disc: S-Line P2 Sky God
My very first dyeing attempt. Conditionerbed, blue Rit Dye More, sat for 16 hours. I don't like it, but I don't hate it. Accepted that it was my first attempt, and put it back in the bag :)
IH75fE3.jpg

Disc: Star Wysocki Destroyer
Did this one at the same time as the Sky God. Shaving cream bed,Rit Dye More, sat for 16 hours. Came out a bit dark, but definately something close to the effect I wanted. Should have been on a white disc, would have looked alot cooler I think.
Sk2voFI.jpg

Disc: Star Valkyrie
Shaving cream bed, Rit Dye More, and I think it sat for 13-14 hours. This looks allright, but I forgot to spin the disc 30-45 degrees after I put it down on the shaving cream.
oGsLxIO.jpg

Disc: Star Teebird
A new test, conditionerbed and rit dye more. Sat for 8 hours I think, turned out very ugly at first. Tried to salvage with another round with more red. A bit better, but not happy with it.
SFGARHX.jpg

Disc: Yellow Lucid EMAC Truth
Shaving cream, Rit Dye More, 10 hours. I am not liking this technique on colored discs very much. But with my patience, I had to try anyways.
elrpN8I.jpg

Disc: White Lucid EMAC Truth
This was my first attempt with this disc. It was on a shampoo bed, with yellow, blue and red RIT Dye More, and it sat for 21 hours. I think the dye soaked a bit too much into the shampoo, thus not giving alot of color to the disc. It was okay, but I wanted a bit more.
ABVP8wK.jpg

So I made a bed out of conditioner and gave it 5 more hours with Rit Dye More. Then it came out like this (a bit brighter in real life than on the picture). More satisfied with it now, and for sure keeping it this way.
OGUbGtd.jpg

Disc: White Opto Saint
This was done at the same time as my first attempt with the white EMAC, and also a bed of shampoo, RIT Dye More and it sat for 21 hours. This one got a lot more color compared to the Truth, and I'm not sure why. Love how it came out.
IdQLuXL.jpg

Notes for my self after my first weekend of dyeing:
These techniques works best on white discs in my opinion. Don't try more on colored discs.
Shampoo-technique needs more testing. The Opto Saint got the effect I wanted. Try to replicate.
Shaving cream technique looks cool on white discs. Needs more testing.
The shaving cream mound does not work very well with liquid dye. Next try with iDye powder dye. (Pictures of this attempt later)

Other things I want to try:
Stencils
Spin dyeing
This

That's it for now. I have 2 discs on shaving cream beds right now. One is an attempt to salvage a failed shaving cream mound with liquid dye, and the other is an attempt at mixing dye and shaving cream to gain more control on how it lays out.

So the Trespass and the Escape is done.

Disc: Fuzion Escape
So this was my first attempt on shaving cream mound. Does not work very well with liquid dye. Tried to salvage it with the same technique as I did with the trespass, and luckily it turned out a bit better. So first this had 10 hours on the shaving cream mound (first picture) and then it had 12 hrs on shaving cream bed with pattern made with mixed shaving cream and dye.
Us8kE1I.jpg
dpWiRzq.jpg

Disc: Lucid Air Trespass
I managed to somewhat get the effect I want, needs more time next time for sure. This was 12 hrs, and shaving cream bed with pattern made with mixed shaving cream and dye.
pcB4goH.jpg

Ok, so alot has happened and I have forgot to post my progress. So I'll just start posting what have been finished since last time.

I have added alot of equipment and some new dye. Biggest thing I got was a record player, so then I set out to learn how to spin dye.

I think these discs got quite a better finish now.

Attachments

• Fuzion Escape shaving cream mound RIT Dye More, 10 hrs + shaving cream 12 hrs+red spin dye.jpg
    Fuzion Escape shaving cream mound RIT Dye More, 10 hrs + shaving cream 12 hrs+red spin dye.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 60
  • Opto Saint Shampoo 21hrs + red and yellow spin.jpg
    Opto Saint Shampoo 21hrs + red and yellow spin.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 71
  • Lucid EMAC Truth Shampoo 21hrs+Conditioner 5hrs+red spin.jpg
    Lucid EMAC Truth Shampoo 21hrs+Conditioner 5hrs+red spin.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 66
Here's some other spins during testing and learning.

I also started to experiment with stencils and hot dipping with idye poly.

So the Sexybird is a spin dye done with red rit dyemore and acetone.

The other disc is a gstar leopard 3. The spins are done with rit dye more and acetone, and the stencil is hot dipped for about 20 minutes with idye poly.

Attachments

• Champ SexyBird red spin.jpg
    Champ SexyBird red spin.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 85
  • Leo3 Blue and red spin + stencil star TESTDISC.jpg
    Leo3 Blue and red spin + stencil star TESTDISC.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 77
I also wanted to try stenciling with colors.

Disc: Champion Leopard clear pink
The stencil was dyed with rit dye more mixed with lotion and then heated in the oven at low temperature (40-50deg celsius/100-120 fahrenheit) for 2-3 hours.
I then added a spin with rit dye more mixed with acetone
Champ Leo stencil + lotion dye oven + spin.jpg

Disc: C-Line FD clear pink
Same as the leopard above.
C-Line FD Stencil lotion heat in oven 3 hrs 40-50deg+red spin+touch up2.jpg

Disc: S-Line CD3
Stencil dyed with blue rit dye more mixed with lotion. Otherwise, same as above.
S-Line CD3 Punisher 13 hrs lotion mix Rit Dye More + spin dye.jpg

Note to self: When putting the disc upside down on a lotion bed in oven, colors don't take very good. When put with the top up, and lotion brushed on it took alot better - need to experiment more on how to get cool effects with this technique.

In a moment of total brainfailure, I tried to cold dip a disc in rit dye more mixed with acetone.
It only sat for 30 minutes... :D
The whole stencil melted on me - but still gave a pretty cool effect.

Disc: C-Line FD Orange
C-Line FD dip dye FAIL.jpg

Then it was time to experiment some more with hot dipping.

This was one of my early fails, with a conditioner bed I believe. So a good disc to start testing hot dipping. Hot dipped for 20 minutes, later spin dyed with black idye+acetone.
Star Teebird bearmoosecanoe idye poly heat dyed 20 min + black spin.jpg

Disc: Star Roadrunner
Same as above.
Star Roadrunner heat dip + spin.jpg

Disc: Opto Explorer
Hot dipped for 20 minutes.
Opto Explorer Wu Tang.jpg

Note to self: Focus on centering stencils, gives a much better look.

Then I did some salvaging of earlier fails.

Disc: Lucid Air Trespass
Hot dipped for 20 minutes + spin
Lucid Air Trespass shaving cream 12hrs + heat dip + spin.jpg

Disc: Lucid EMAC Truth
Same as above
Lucid EMAC Truth, shaving cream, 10 hrs + spin + dip dye.jpg

I wanted to try the shaving cream mound technique with stencils.

Disc: K1 Falk
So I first stenciled and hot dipped the bird. Then masked the bird with contact paper, and made a shaving cream mound. Tried to be very careful with how much dye I used. Spritzed a tiny bit of water on the mound before setting the disc on top and letting it sit for 8 hours.
Pretty stoked about the result.
K1 Falk stencil + idye poly heat 20 mins + sc mound 9 hrs.jpg

Disc: S-Line FD
Here I just stenciled without hot dipping, and made the sc mound. I put a bit too much dye, and a bit too much water I think.. But came out pretty nice anyways I feel. Sat for 8 hours.
S-Line FD BobbaFett SC Mound.jpg

Disc: Opto Saint
Same technique as on the Falk, but I also kept the contact paper around the edges to give my self some room to spin at the end. More careful with the amount of dye and water. Sat for 8 hours.
Opto Saint Phoenix heat dip + SC Mound 8hrs min water + spin.jpg

Then it was time to experiment some more with hot dipping.

This was one of my early fails, with a conditioner bed I believe. So a good disc to start testing hot dipping. Hot dipped for 20 minutes, later spin dyed with black idye+acetone.
View attachment 70587

Disc: Star Roadrunner
Same as above.
View attachment 70588

Disc: Opto Explorer
Hot dipped for 20 minutes.
View attachment 70589

Note to self: Focus on centering stencils, gives a much better look.

The Star Road Runner, that should be a production stamp from Innova though DGU or something. I would buy it for my brother as he uses Champion Road Runners.

The Star Road Runner, that should be a production stamp from Innova though DGU or something. I would buy it for my brother as he uses Champion Road Runners.

I agree, it's the perfect stamp. Maybe some copyright issues?

When I get my hands on a vinylcutter I will attempt a more detailed one with colors. But I do think this one would look cool on a roller, in slow motion :D

I agree, it's the perfect stamp. Maybe some copyright issues?

When I get my hands on a vinylcutter I will attempt a more detailed one with colors. But I do think this one would look cool on a roller, in slow motion :D

Well there could be a partnership between WB and Innova for use on the stamp.

Latest posts