• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

At what point do you throw from the pro tees

I've been playing for about six years and have developed a pretty decent throw. Everyone seems to always play the amateur tees at every course I go to as well as me. I have the distance in my throws to get close to the basket from the pro tees. (of course birdies would be much more rare depending on pin positions) Depending on the course I rarely even use my long distance drivers. Is there a certain number under par I should be shooting to change tees?

Thanks

You should play the long tees even if you can't get the disc to the basket. Look at it as a new course, the holes are different and you'll get to throw the disc more per round. :p

When you want a better challenge or variety.

I would normally say when you're comfortably getting birdies on every hole, but that's relative to the course. I made a conscious decision one day that I would get better faster if I sacrificed my scores for a little while and started shooting from pro tees without exceptions. Now I'm getting the same scores that I was previously getting from the Ams and my whole game has improved.

I would only suggest that if you're getting too comfortable with the Am tees it's time to move up.

Play the pro tees whenever you want. There should be more to disc golf than duece or die.

That being said, I never refer to tees as 'pro' and 'amateur' because its rarely appropriate. On some courses there really isn't that much skill difference between them. In some cases, they are more a matter of left and right than short and long.

my friends and I play from the pro tees and if a drive doesn't go past the short tee we have to finish the hole with no pants. hasn't happened to me yet...knock on wood.

also, to answer OPs question: If you challenge yourself you will get better faster, play the pro tees

I always play the longest tees at any course I go to. I just want to play the most challenging course possible. IMO you don't improve by playing holes you can easily birdie over and over. That being said, I think you should do what makes you happy.

Pro Tees will make you better for sure as it can force you to learn course management.

That being said I still play the short tees at Renny and Hornets nest most of the time when I go there just because of how hard the long tees at those particular courses.

If you can throw far enough to get to the pin from the short tees, then you should move back to the long tees and challenge yourself to make it to the pin from those tees. Of course if its too long for you than it could just make it not fun anymore.

I don't have a disc golf course in my immediate area with more than one tee, but I play ball golf and almost every ball golf course has more than one set of tees, and I will play from the set that I feel will challenge me, but not too long to quit making it fun.

Well, if you know the course real well then I'd say mix it up a bit with the longer tees. I usually play from short tees if I don't know the course that well and there are danger spots all around (i.e.- cliffs, deep schule, thorny vines, water, etc). I will usually play from a tee that looks like the most fun if I know the course or there isn't too much to worry about if shanked.

I do only b/c it's easiest to count it out... who has time to figure out if this one or that one is par4? besides, I don't think that there is a hole out there that can't be done in 3 by someone...

each hole i just count plus or minus... so par on 1st hole is 0... bogey on 2nd hole is +1.. birdie on 3rd hole is back to 0...birdie on 4th hole is -1... double bogey on 5th is +1... and so on... easy

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=2737&mode=ci

Iron Hill hole 17 pro par 6. I don't think anyone has hit a miracle 3 on it yet.

Ok, i could make a hole that is 700' or more with tons of trees and say yeah pro par 6 but is it really a hole worth playing?
'sides, couldn't someone just get a beauty roller with the luck of the irish on it and make it in 3? i think so and I think that noone is trying hard enough or throwing enough mulligans at it...:p

Its all personal preference. Since I started playing, my friends and I have always played the long tees and pro pars to challenge ourselves, but we will play shorter tees to change things up. Some courses offer new paths and an entirely new perspective on some holes with different tee pads.

If your unsure of it, then try it once and don't keep score. Its much easier to practice throws when your not worried about your score.

Latest posts