• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

At what point do you throw from the pro tees

"At what point do you throw from the pro tees"

Around here: every time the pros are cement and the ams are dirt...or really any time.

If I played Black Diamond as a rec round I *might* try playing from the Golds...but it'd be a real chore.

\/\/

Plenty of holes out there that are difficult to 3....Nockamixon # 10, Iron Hill # 17, Idlewild #6, to name a few. As for OP I usually play th longer tees even if they are a reach for my skill level. I prefer the challenge. A few times the long tees have been too much for me...at Killens Pond in DE I could not handle the increased technicality of many of the tees and at Knob Hill the longs often became too long and tight for my level of control. Typically though the pro tees really don't punish off the tee as much and can be played with equal enjoyment IMO and experience.

my friends and I play from the pro tees and if a drive doesn't go past the short tee we have to finish the hole with no pants. hasn't happened to me yet...knock on wood.

also, to answer OPs question: If you challenge yourself you will get better faster, play the pro tees

we would be playing without pants a LOT around here...

\/\/

Got to admit, I have not even considered playing the pro tees at my home course (Oak Meadow). The white tees (three sets of tees with white being in the middle) are plenty hard enough. In the last PDGA tournament, par from the whites was a 1,002 rated round. The whites are 6,972 ft and the blues are 7,685. They share the same tee pad for all but 5 holes. Three of those 5 are at least 543ft par 3's from the whites, and I have no need to make them any longer. Plus, the blues do not have concrete tee pads.

The only times i throw from the pro tees is when i have been playing a course a lot recently and kinda get "bored" of the layout. It obviously does make things harder and change it up a little, but even though the my score will climb considerably (i am far from even considering myself a pro), its still fun to do every now and then.

I throw from the long tees all the time. My thought is that it forces me to amke at least one extra throw on a bunch of holes. I need the practice. A bad score doesn't really bother me. It's happened before, it will happen again.

If I play 2 or more rounds I'll mix in a round or 2 from the shorts. It's good to change up the angles and length once in a while for variety.

The OP doesn't say whether he's trying to improve his game or just have fun or meet some sort of disc golf ethos. So I'd say, play the long tees a few times, and decide if that's for you.

Obviously, it's the way to improve your game. You may find it more fun as well. Ignore the peer pressure.

For myself, I'm a weak player who nevertheless plays long tees almost exclusively. I don't find a chasm between challenge and fun---challenge IS fun, and the long tees give you more chance to create second shots and make great saves.

I always play the longest tees at any course I go to. I just want to play the most challenging course possible. IMO you don't improve by playing holes you can easily birdie over and over. That being said, I think you should do what makes you happy.
This is pretty much exactly what I was going to say. Pro tees = more discing per course.

That being said, I'll sometimes play an am tee if there's a high chance of losing a disc if I threw from the pro tee. It's not worth it to me.

I used to play the short tees, but my 21yr-old son got me in the habit of playing the long tees.
I think he did it to gain an advantage, but the old man is catching up...

if you and you're friends do more than a round in a day,play the alt pads.
from the regular pads, if you can get to within putting range consistantly(regardless if you make the putt),move to the alt pads.it might hurt your score for awhile but it's not gonna hurt your game.

at the lil 9 hole course i play, me and a buddy have 2 and 3 different alt shots that we play,some are longer throws but most are different angles.

Personally, When I started I threw from the long tees exclusively at my home courses. My thought was I needed to learn to throw distance as much as learning to controlled up shots. When I first started I would not make it within putting distance so I had to throw a lot of upshots which really helped my game. A few months into playing I started playing the shorter tees on occasions and of course that made my score better on the shorter hole.

Now a little over a year later I can drive 350 consistently and 450 on a shot. So I say play the pro tees all the time Don't worry about your score and enjoy the game.

I have played some courses where the short tees actually seem harder at times because they are not much shorter but usually put you right up against the shule so your throw has to be more on target.

I mix it up, even in the same round as I dont like to give up some shots from the long tees that are fun to throw.

i always thought it was guys tees and womens tees...learn something new every day

We actually enjoy it around here when grown men need to play from the ladies tees. Long story short DoWhatchaLike. If you are satisfied being under par from the ladies(um...I mean shorter) tees, then that's on you. Me, when I broke even par from the shorties I moved to the longer tees to see if I could do the same from them, but sometimes I play the shorts just to "see a different course" as a previous poster mentioned. Have fun.

It totally depends on what you are about. I am an older guy(50) and not that long from the tee. I almost always play the short tees. At this point I am not thinking about getting better but just about enjoying the sport and I find I usually enjoy it more from the short tees. Most of the courses I play regularly have only one set anyway. If there are 3 sets of tees and one is very short I might play the middle set. I say do what makes you feel good ie what will help you best enjoy your experience at the course.

@Noill Golf "I don't think that there is a hole out there that can't be done in 3 by someone..."
Quote:
I going to have to completely disagree with this statement.

Well, let me rephrase... I don't think there should be a hole that can't be done by SOMEONE in 3...

@Noill Golf "I don't think that there is a hole out there that can't be done in 3 by someone..."

Well, let me rephrase... I don't think there should be a hole that can't be done by SOMEONE in 3...
Disc golf is easy enough as it is, we don't need to dumb down courses to make it even easier.

What's wrong with a hole that can't be 3'd? Why wouldn't you want holes where course management skills are put to the test just as much as techniqe?

I would say every hole should be able to be 3'd by someone at sometime....like maybe Ken Climo on his best day with some luck.

Ok, i could make a hole that is 700' or more with tons of trees and say yeah pro par 6 but is it really a hole worth playing?
'sides, couldn't someone just get a beauty roller with the luck of the irish on it and make it in 3? i think so and I think that noone is trying hard enough or throwing enough mulligans at it...:p

Its definitely worth playing. The ground is not condusive for rolllers with large rocks and roller dams. The fairway is tight and snakes. At best you would be looking at a 200' uphill shot to a well protected basket for a miracle three.

I do only b/c it's easiest to count it out... who has time to figure out if this one or that one is par4? besides, I don't think that there is a hole out there that can't be done in 3 by someone...

each hole i just count plus or minus... so par on 1st hole is 0... bogey on 2nd hole is +1.. birdie on 3rd hole is back to 0...birdie on 4th hole is -1... double bogey on 5th is +1... and so on... easy

I count my score the same way on courses that claim to have par 4's or 5's. I get a three on par 4 then -1. All par threes may make it easier to add up score at end of round because par is 54 lets say but easiest to say par is 59 i shot 2 under therefore 57.

Latest posts