• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Atlanta->Kentucky in March

mullethead326

Par Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
In mid-March, I've got some time to take 4-5 days off with a buddy and I'm thinking of trying to take a trip to Kentucky, starting from Atlanta. I'm fairly happy with getting to Cincinnati/Idlewild, but I'm having trouble filling out the way back with worthwhile courses.

So the current look is:
Day 1; four courses, about 5 hours driving total
Start in Atlanta, I-75 North
Camp Jordan DGC, Chattanooga (4.38 rating)
Sharp Springs Park, Smyrna TN (3.91)
Seven Oaks Park, Nashville (3.88)
Cedar Hill Park, Nashville (4.22)

Day 2; four courses, about 4 hours driving total
Lover's Lane Park, Bowling Green (3.68)
Kereiakes Park, Bowling Green (3.92)
Holler in the Hills, Brownsville, KY (4.62)
Freeman Lake Park, Elizabethtown, KY (4.11)

Day 3; three courses, about 3.5 hours driving total
Idlewild, Burlington, KY (4.76)
Mt. Airy Forest, Cincinnati, OH (4.06)
Lincoln Ridge Park, Independence, KY (4.46)

Right now that looks like http://goo.gl/maps/Ww5Hh

The issue I'm running into is finishing the trip... there aren't a whole lot of courses on 75 S that seem to be truly worth the visit. Any thoughts on modifications of courses, the route in general, and where to go to break up the way back? Are the Louisville courses worth doing?

Considerations:
-We've got a dog. All of these courses are pet-friendly according to DGCR. She can handle all of this distance and more.
-It's March, so camping and hotels are both on the table.
-Both my friend and I are competent enough to enjoy a variety of courses. We've played 200 holes in four days before, so none of this is drastically out of scale.
-I have family in Elizabethtown, so I'd like to start or end a day at Freeman Lake Park to take advantage of the free lodging.

Thanks for the help!

There really isn't much on the way from Cincinnati to Atlanta. There are some courses mostly east of Knoxville that look promising, but I haven't played any of them.

Seviren Lang and Charlie Vettiner in the Louisville area are both excellent 4+ rated courses and worth the trip, especially since you're passing through anyway to go from E-town to the Nati. There are certainly other quality courses in the area, but from looking at your list it appears you're trying to hit the best of the best in each area. Seviren and Vettiner definitely fit that bill as they are best of what Louisville has to offer.

Lovers Lane is a fine course and the front nine is great, but after hole 12 the course is wide open. It's a fun course but the back lets you down so overall it's not very memorable IMHO. If it were me I'd pass it up and play the Goat Path instead. The Goat Path has more varied terrain, is a bit more challenging and is more visually interesting. Just be sure to contact Greg before you go.

Last edited:
There really isn't much on the way from Cincinnati to Atlanta. There are some courses mostly east of Knoxville that look promising, but I haven't played any of them.

Seviren Lang and Charlie Vettiner in the Louisville area are both excellent 4+ rated courses and worth the trip, especially since you're passing through anyway to go from E-town to the Nati. There are certainly other quality courses in the area, but from looking at your list it appears you're trying to hit the best of the best in each area. Seviren and Vettiner definitely fit that bill as they are best of what Louisville has to offer.

Lovers Lane is a fine course and the front nine is great, but after hole 12 the course is wide open. It's a fun course but the back lets you down so overall it's not very memorable IMHO. If it were me I'd pass it up and play the Goat Path instead. The Goat Path has more varied terrain, is a bit more challenging and is more visually interesting. Just be sure to contact Greg before you go.

Thanks for the tip on Louisville; might add those in since it's a really small detour. The reason I'd looked at Lover's Lane is because it's only a mile from Kereiakes.

Maybe I'll amend my trip plan, do the three Nashville-area courses on day 1, swap Lover's Lane for Goat Path on day 2, play those 2 Louisville courses + Mt. Airy + Lincoln Ridge on day 3, and Idlewild + Sinks/Camp Jordan in Chattanooga on day 4 on the way home.

Day 1;
Start in Atlanta, I-75 North
Camp Jordan DGC, Chattanooga (4.38 rating)
Sharp Springs Park, Smyrna TN (3.91)
Seven Oaks Park, Nashville (3.88)
Cedar Hill Park, Nashville (4.22)

Day 2;
Lover's Lane Park, Bowling Green (3.68)
Goat Path
Kereiakes Park, Bowling Green (3.92)
Holler in the Hills, Brownsville, KY (4.62)

Day 3;
Freeman Lake Park, Elizabethtown, KY (4.11)
Hang out with relatives, sleep there 2 nights?

Day 4;
Idlewild, Burlington, KY (4.76)
Mt. Airy Forest, Cincinnati, OH (4.06)
Lincoln Ridge Park, Independence, KY (4.46)

Day 5; long drive straight thru to home
Riley B in Lexington KY
Groves Park in Oak ridge TN
The Sinks in Chattanooga TN

This is probably what I would do.

If you are coming back through Lexington..... Riney B (not Riley B) is a good option.... if you like a good mix of open bombers and woods. Veteran's Park is another very good ... if you like super-wooded.

If you were coming up to Lexington in like 6-8 months we would have a new championship level course in at Jacobson Park.

Playing Idlewild, Mt Airy and Lincoln in the same day will be physically demanding. It's do-able but be prepared. I'd consider finding time for playing a 2nd round at one of these as they will be the highlight of the trip. Then playing the 3rd one on a different day while in the Cincy area. I've made 3 road trips there, it's great golf!

I will argue that Holler in the Hills would be the highlight of the trip.... that place is amazing.

Good thoughts, keep them coming. Relatedly, what local eateries/beers should we not miss? I've heard it's a moral imperative to get a six-pack of 3 Floyds if we're in that area.

In Bowling Green I would definetely do Keriakes. For the second course there I would either do Bowling Green Tech, or Hobson Grove. Bowling Green is a small town and none of the courses are more than 10 minutes apart.
As for the Nashville leg, I would be careful putting off Cedar Hill till the end of the day. All the Nashville courses are great, but you DO NOT want to miss Cedar Hill. It is a must play for sure.
And I agree with Burritoes, you really should try and fit The Sinks into your schedule.
If you want a guide in Nashville let me know and I'll show ya Cedar Hill for sure, and maybe 7 Oaks if I'm free.

Good thoughts, keep them coming. Relatedly, what local eateries/beers should we not miss? I've heard it's a moral imperative to get a six-pack of 3 Floyds if we're in that area.

You can go with some Cincy style chili and most people in Cincy will recommend Montgomery Inn but a place that I think is better is BBQ Revue on Madison Road. Not sure if they'll still have it(seasonal) when you visit but get the jambalaya if you go.
http://www.bbqrevue.com/BBQRevue/BBQ REVUE HOME.html

Another fun place that I would personally recommend is The Hofbrauhaus
http://www.hofbrauhausnewport.com/the-beer/

Last edited:

Latest posts