• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Atlas

brichert

Bogey Member
Doing an after school disc golf class for elementary students, I have 13 kids enrolled ranging in age from 7 to 12? I am leaning towards buying an Innova Atlas for each of them. What weight and plastic would be best?

This is only my opinion, but as I've been playing for about a year, and have tried a LOT of midranges, I think it's both relevant to new players, and reasonably well-informed.

I got an Atlas a few months back. I don't bag it, because it's not the best disc for... anything.

I throw a Mako3 for dead straight. I throw a Roc3 for overstable. I bag a DX roc for upshots and when I risk losing a disc. I bag a beat-up old Gateway Element as another chance-of-loss disc.

If I wanted a disc with more fade than the Mako, and Less than the Rocs, I'd probably get a Shark.

Why should you NOT get an Atlas? Because the overmold process makes them more expensive, and (from my experience) gains you absolutely nothing.

What you SHOULD get? I'd say mid 160s weight Shark in DX, for the kids closer to 12, and absolutely lightest weight for the kids closer to 7. Look on the Innova pro shop site, where you can get factory seconds pretty cheap. http://proshop.innovadiscs.com/

Okay, so let's assume you ignore this advice, and DO go with the Atlas. For plastic, get whatever's least expensive, and try to get the same wights as I mentioned above. The odds that this disc will go in the water, in a tree, or get chewed on by their family dog seem pretty crazy high. I don't see any sense in investing in higher grade plastic for a person's very first disc.

I am going to agree with Lynn, though not for the reasons given above. I love overmolds (see my sig) and my Atlas has a spot in my mixed bag every time. It will be way too fast for your kids to learn from. Nova would be a far better choice, unfortunately they don't make a really lightweight mold, which I believe to be essential for young beginners.

My seven year old grandson has adopted my 145 Birdie as his disc of choice, but any 150 class putter would be a good selection.

It would probably be easiest to get them some Baer plastic midranges. Buzzz, Shark, Truth and Compass would all be good bets.

FWIW, Gateway also has solid midranges and they are usually willing to put together an affordable package deal for school programs that will be easy on your wallet. You might even look into their lightweight stuff that's easier for kids to throw.

FWIW, Gateway also has solid midranges and they are usually willing to put together an affordable package deal for school programs that will be easy on your wallet. You might even look into their lightweight stuff that's easier for kids to throw.

As I mentioned above, I bag an Element, and own two others. I REALLY like it as a neutral/understable mid. Highly recommend it as a good first disc mold. I only didn't mention it earlier as it seemed the OP might be more interested in Innova.

DX Shark in a lighter weight (150 class) is the classic answer for school kids. It's stable enough to be useful even for the athletic ones, but light enough to give them all decent distance. The baseline plastic will wear a bit as they use it and teach them how discs wear. Also, cheap.

As I mentioned above, I bag an Element, and own two others. I REALLY like it as a neutral/understable mid. Highly recommend it as a good first disc mold. I only didn't mention it earlier as it seemed the OP might be more interested in Innova.

I understand the Innova interest. It's just not really practical unless you're ordering in larger quantities. I have a couple friends that have done small local after school programs in my area with similar size "classes". They ended up using used discs (we have hundreds between all of us), but we did price out options for new discs and Gateway came out to be the cheapest/easiest option. If you get their lightweight plastic (not a bad idea for 12-13 year olds) they can really cut you a good deal.

If we're talking about elementary school kids (as OP said), we aren't talking 12-13 year olds; the majority will be much younger than that. Honestly, my son is 5 and he loves his XT Colt. It's shallow enough for him to grip easily both forehand and backhand, and he can throw it 40-50 feet. At some point I might get him a lighter DX Colt because he could probably throw it even further. Whatever you do, don't go with some deep dish putter than the 2nd graders won't be able to grip properly for throws.

Nobody wants to throw mids, give them drivers!!!

Diamond lite = kidz having fun

Another consideration might be attention span, given the age group. I have found that some/most kids lose interest in the basket after 20-30 minutes and begin playing catch with each other, so be sure to have at least a few 'catch friendly' discs available.

Another consideration might be attention span, given the age group. I have found that some/most kids lose interest in the basket after 20-30 minutes and begin playing catch with each other, so be sure to have at least a few 'catch friendly' discs available.

I was going to suggest the Magic, as it is shallow and the kids can grip it. But PBokor is correct and they'll start throwing them to or at each other, so maybe get some (truly) soft plastics...

No plastic is soft enough if someone hits you point blank with a disc. I've gotten hit by a gumputt before and even that hurts. Kids that age won't probably be able to throw hard enough to actually injure one another, which is good, but TEACHING safety should be a top priority of any program. Teaching them course safety, courtesy, good etiquette, etc. is going to go a lot further than just giving them a soft disc. It's like teaching gun safety; you just need to impress upon them that you never, ever throw a disc in the direction of any person who is not actually expecting it (obviously the rules of gun safety are different but some sort of absolute mandate should be in order similarly). Even my 5-year-old knows that and is pretty good about it. I wouldn't give them champion-style plastic, but I also wouldn't be trying to find the softest, floppiest plastic possible because that's going to make certain things difficult (like teaching push putting).

Always best to start off a new dg'er with a putter regardless of age. The best form teaching tool in any bag. Plus they can practice putting with a real putter not a midrange.

This is only my opinion, but as I've been playing for about a year, and have tried a LOT of midranges, I think it's both relevant to new players, and reasonably well-informed.

I got an Atlas a few months back. I don't bag it, because it's not the best disc for... anything.

5x World Champion Juliana Korver might beg to differ, and she plays a low-power game. Check out her in the bag.

Kids would like the bright colors of the Atlas, although I don't think they come lighter than about 167.

Not to throw another one into the mix, but Cobras are awful fun/easy to throw, and come in light weights, and are cheap and easy to find.

Latest posts