• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Atom

Proxy is dead straight with just a slight fade at the end when new. Atom has a very small amount of turn and will fade out some.

Envy 0 2, Atom -.5 1.5, Proxy 0 .5, more or less depending on power level and weight.

I think when both discs are new they are gonna more or less land in the same place. It just depends on how you want it to get there.

EDIT: I was referring to the premium plastics not the electron.

Last edited:
Looking to try a few new molds after losing my 2 Tangents this season. I have a 169g Envy, but it feel a little light for me. I do like it for upshots.

I was looking at picking up an Atom and/or a Proxy to try out. So I wanted to see if anyone could tell me what the difference is between the 2 or are they too similar to bag both?

If you liked your Tangent then the Proxy is the closest in flight to it. Very straight flying. The Atom is very similar I would say the same or a touch more hss but definitely more LSS than a Proxy, ime it likes more power. It kind of depends on range of shot and how many putters you carry because they are similar.

Looking to try a few new molds after losing my 2 Tangents this season. I have a 169g Envy, but it feel a little light for me. I do like it for upshots.

I was looking at picking up an Atom and/or a Proxy to try out. So I wanted to see if anyone could tell me what the difference is between the 2 or are they too similar to bag both?

I'm a fan of all those discs - Proxy, Atom, Envy, etc -

They are VERY Similar - but depends on plastic, condition / wear - stability if its an overlap to carry both - I will say that the Atom in general feels thinner, and its a little faster, with a little more fade. So I've described it as Proxy and a Proxy3 (atom)

Plastics as well - Plasma is pretty US in comparison to proton - So if I carry a Plasma Proxy and a Proton Atom they will differ plenty so that carrying 2 makes sense. But a Neutron Proxy and an Electron Atom will kinda overlap. I hope that makes sense. Basically they are BOTH awesome. I have been leaning toward the Atom lately since I can get an array of stabilities from it - I carry a Heavy Proton for Stable to Slight fade, Electron Firm for straight and for putts, and an Electron medium that has seen some action for that straight to turnover floaty long putts.

If you are new to both I would suggest Grabbing a combo of both and just figure them out

Stability for Proxy: Proton (I think only the watermelon ones?? not sure), Neutron (stable straight some turn with power barely any fade), Plasma (it will turn but its smooooooth)

Atom: Proton, Neutron, Electron Firm, Electron M/S, Beat Electron

If youre a 1 mold guy Go with an atom, Protons couple electrons, youre set ;) :hfive:

They are all great, Brutalbrutus description above is very good. Personally I'd buy an Atom in Neutron and if you wish it was more OS then go Envy, if you want more turn get a Proxy. I have both Atoms and Envies and they coexist well. Proxies don't interest me really. There is just a slight feel to the rim I like less.

Hey really digging that Neutron heart of chains atom for JYLY putting, got three soft e Envy's and the Atom is putting about the same little flatter but it is working out.. Just need a fifth disc.. The soft e Atom is way off. I'm considering the Atom taking my beloved Proton Envy's spot itb, Spins not leaving!

(All putters exactly 166g)

Hey really digging that Neutron heart of chains atom for JYLY putting, got three soft e Envy's and the Atom is putting about the same little flatter but it is working out.. Just need a fifth disc.. The soft e Atom is way off. I'm considering the Atom taking my beloved Proton Envy's spot itb, Spins not leaving!

(All putters exactly 166g)

I feel a heavy proton Atom takes the place of my neutron envy ----BUT as my proton atoms have seen over a year of use (I think its been that long?) they aren't as OS anymore - so maybe the Envy will find a way back in. But for hand-feel I really like the atom - its just such a good disc (they both are)

@ThomasOrion, I was wondering the same thing. I've been throwing my Envy a good bit since losing my Tangent and wondered if a heavy Atom would be pretty much the same disc. I've really enjoyed the Envy, and it's pretty much replaced my mid-range disc for everything under 150. My Axis and Vectors or getting pretty lonely. My only need is something a little more US, so I think I'm just going to add the Proxy first.

I am debating on going back to thinner putters. I've been using an Ion the past couple of seasons, and it's been good. But, I've been missing the thinner feel, as I threw classic rocs and XD's for putters for a long time.

@ThomasOrion, I was wondering the same thing. I've been throwing my Envy a good bit since losing my Tangent and wondered if a heavy Atom would be pretty much the same disc. I've really enjoyed the Envy, and it's pretty much replaced my mid-range disc for everything under 150. My Axis and Vectors or getting pretty lonely. My only need is something a little more US, so I think I'm just going to add the Proxy first.

I am debating on going back to thinner putters. I've been using an Ion the past couple of seasons, and it's been good. But, I've been missing the thinner feel, as I threw classic rocs and XD's for putters for a long time.

Basically you can go Envy / Proxy for Slightly OS and Slightly US or

heavy Proton ATOM / Electron Atom for the same deal - it all depends on preference. I just have a more confident touch with the Atoms - I DO wish there was an ATOM + that was a touch more OS - and I tried a Particle and really didn't think it was that much more OS and also felt different - so Particle vs Envy I'd still say Envy --- But yeah its whatever you want Once the Plasma Atom is out it will give a lot of stabilities (but very marginal differences) for the ATOMs - if you've never used an atom I highly recommend getting one just depends on what you want it to do as what type - More weight and more premium plastic typically will be more stable/overstable (just a tiny hair OS not much) and lighter or electron plastic especially when beat up n used it has a very smooth turn or can be tossed higher and still go pretty straight - my beat medium atom is a go-to disc for a lot of stuff especially long putts

So I wound up getting a neutron atom and a plasma proxy, and both have turned out great! I'm using the proxy for straight to US up shots, and I've now switched to using the atom as my primary putter (from ions). I'll sometimes use the atom for up shots and short drives.

Now that I'm using the atom for putting, in looking at picking up one in electron plastic. So my question is, should I go with regular electron or firm? (I don't care for soft putters) I like the stiffness and feel of the neutron but I do find that it slips through the chains or will skip a little too much sometimes.

No one local here carries mvp, so the forum has been helpful.

So I wound up getting a neutron atom and a plasma proxy, and both have turned out great! I'm using the proxy for straight to US up shots, and I've now switched to using the atom as my primary putter (from ions). I'll sometimes use the atom for up shots and short drives.

Now that I'm using the atom for putting, in looking at picking up one in electron plastic. So my question is, should I go with regular electron or firm? (I don't care for soft putters) I like the stiffness and feel of the neutron but I do find that it slips through the chains or will skip a little too much sometimes.

No one local here carries mvp, so the forum has been helpful.

I'd say order a Medium and Firm in the same weight and just see what you like - from my experience the Firms hold up a little longer but come colder weather the mediums are $ - I carry 1 medium (beat up) for that softer putter feel and turnover shots , then the Firm for mainly long putts and some touch throws --- they are both good, But If you twist my arm, I'll say go firm

Mike C said:

Tagging Mike C in this one because... well he could answer this I imagine. :popcorn:

Mike, in your Particle video you mention the Particle uses the same core as the Atom, and that it's a lower profile than the Envy. Does the Particle/Atom have a different core than the Envy/Proxy? I assumed they were the same, based on the profile pics on the MVP/Axiom site and the similar profiles.

Tagging Mike C in this one because... well he could answer this I imagine. :popcorn:

Mike, in your Particle video you mention the Particle uses the same core as the Atom, and that it's a lower profile than the Envy. Does the Particle/Atom have a different core than the Envy/Proxy? I assumed they were the same, based on the profile pics on the MVP/Axiom site and the similar profiles.

I'm no Mike C - but What I would say - the Envy feels deeper and 'thicker' than the particle - I don't know about the cores, I assume its Proxy/Envy=same core ---- Atom/Particle=same core - but - idk. To me the Atom/Particle are just thinner/flatter Proxy/Envy - with that said my experience with the Particale is that is was not different than the Envy much at all and really isn't very OS at all - only LATE flight does it have a fade - idk - Atoms rule, Proxy rules - but ----im fading away from Envy Particle usage -

I think the late fade and inability to make things overstable is a Gyro tm" problem.. They seem to carry straight forward better shunning traditional physics. Maybe haha.

I think the late fade and inability to make things overstable is a Gyro tm" problem.. They seem to carry straight forward better shunning traditional physics. Maybe haha.

They have plenty of OS discs. There is nothing special about the Gyro tm, that's all marketing baby! They have really good discs, I'm not saying that.

I found the main gap was that most discs, even ones that were marked understable, were actually just stable/neutral. How many molds at max weight turn right out of the box?

They have plenty of OS discs. There is nothing special about the Gyro tm, that's all marketing baby! They have really good discs, I'm not saying that.

I found the main gap was that most discs, even ones that were marked understable, were actually just stable/neutral. How many molds at max weight turn right out of the box?

a lot - - Spin, (Proxy in some runs does), Vertex, Relay, Switch, Inspire, Signal, Virus, Impulse, Insanity, Inertia, Wave, Vanish, Catalyst, Tenacity --- some of the US discs turn way TOO much for me - like instant roller

a lot - - Spin, (Proxy in some runs does), Vertex, Relay, Switch, Inspire, Signal, Virus, Impulse, Insanity, Inertia, Wave, Vanish, Catalyst, Tenacity --- some of the US discs turn way TOO much for me - like instant roller

Can confirm Insanity and Inertia turn out of the box. Inertia wins by a nose over the Insanity for my flippy control driver and relegates my S-OLS to the bench. I have 2 N Inertias that are board flat that I'd call 9.5/5/-2/1. They hold up slightly better for a FH that my Insanity that has a slight dome. Threw my longest drive ever with the Insanity, 405' on a slight downhill which is about 30' longer than anything else I've thrown.

Proxy hasn't worked for me as an US thrower, I'd agree that it's stubbornly stable.

Can confirm Insanity and Inertia turn out of the box. Inertia wins by a nose over the Insanity for my flippy control driver and relegates my S-OLS to the bench. I have 2 N Inertias that are board flat that I'd call 9.5/5/-2/1. They hold up slightly better for a FH that my Insanity that has a slight dome. Threw my longest drive ever with the Insanity, 405' on a slight downhill which is about 30' longer than anything else I've thrown.

Proxy hasn't worked for me as an US thrower, I'd agree that it's stubbornly stable.

I don't know who it was but I got in an 'argument' over the proxy's stability - dude said it was STABLE I was saying its slightly UNDERstable --- haha we went back and forth but eventually just agree to disagree --- WELL, Maybe its the disc, because I just got a couple new proxies and sure nuff' they ARE STABLE - like I need to rip it to make a turn - now its not fading out but if I throw a casual throw flat it will just go straight - my other proxy's one plasma one neutron will turn almost immediately (small turn, but they turn) these 2 new Plasmas DO feel different and hold a floaty straight line --- different runs or whatever - but it still is a disc I use for turnovers and anhyzers - but certain ones are GREAT for finesse straight shots

^I wanted the Proxy to work with the Envy but I didn't see much separation except in headwind situations. Same with the Atom so of the 3 I'm only bagging the Envy for S/OS thrower. All are great but not much separation imo.

Since this is the Atom thread, I must admit I've switched to D Roaches for putting. Discraft D plastic gets a lot of hate but it's felt great to me in my short sample window. Seems to hold up as well as electron at about half the price as well.

I haven't thrown many of the newer molds. Newest mold I've thrown was the Atom.

Sample size of one here but the:

Inspire, Insanity, Switch, Axis, Theory,

were all neutral or stable. None had > -1 turn right out of the box and I throw 400 feet average on drivers. I'm not a big anhyzer thrower due to an old shoulder injury. I mainly throw flat and hyzer flips. MVP Discs don't seem to flip nearly as much as comparable molds from other manufacturers. They also seem to all have fade, for example the theory was so straight, it didn't finish right no matter how hard I threw it flat.

Understable to me means you can thrown it backhand instead of throwing a stable/OS disc forehand.