• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Attn Lat 64 lovers (opinion thread)

i think maybe the striker could cover the job of a river no?

No no no no no no. Rivers and Strikers don't throw alike at all.
Strikers are faster, longer, less glide, more penetration, good amount of fade at the end.
Rivers are slower, not as long, glide for days, and depending on your weight/plastic, will be either more or less stable. I Have a 161 GL and 174 GL in the bag. The 161 will turnover, and depending on the amount of turnover i give it, keep going right (RHBH) or given enough height, it will come back. The 174 doesn't flip as easily, but still will when I want it to, but it's had alot of its fade beat out of it.
Optos are more stable at HS and at LS.
I definitely don't often debate between striker or river for a throw. Only if its really open and I have LOTS of options.

Strikers are faster, longer, less glide, more penetration, good amount of fade at the end.
Rivers are slower, not as long, glide for days, and depending on your weight/plastic, will be either more or less stable. I Have a 161 GL and 174 GL in the bag. The 161 will turnover, and depending on the amount of turnover i give it, keep going right (RHBH) or given enough height, it will come back. The 174 doesn't flip as easily, but still will when I want it to, but it's had alot of its fade beat out of it.
I definitely don't often debate between striker or river for a throw. Only if its really open and I have LOTS of options.

I agree they are completely different animals.

I was pitching the benefits of the River to a couple buddies at my home course (Seneca). I let them each toss it out into a firld between a couple holes. The first guy flings it and starts saying "no no NO!", then the disc drills the chains on the practic basket 100' away. I offered to sell it to him for $100 on the spot. ;) He was saying no because he didn't intend to hit the basket and was worried about damaging the disc. I said no worries, it's Gold Line plastic, couldn't find a scratch or bend on it afterwards. He threw it again and will likely buy one. :thmbup:

I was pitching the benefits of the River to a couple buddies at my home course (Seneca). I let them each toss it out into a firld between a couple holes. The first guy flings it and starts saying "no no NO!", then the disc drills the chains on the practic basket 100' away. I offered to sell it to him for $100 on the spot. ;) He was saying no because he didn't intend to hit the basket and was worried about damaging the disc. I said no worries, it's Gold Line plastic, couldn't find a scratch or bend on it afterwards. He threw it again and will likely buy one. :thmbup:

Good news: He made it! :thmbup:
Bad news: he can only drive 100 feet :|

Definitely the first time I've seen the word "Penetration" on these boards.

Can you elaborate?

What exactly are you wanting your discs to do for you? This will better help answer your questions.

As for windy days (depending on how windy you're referring to), blitz, trident, xXx, riot,halo, and sinus are great for it depending on the wind speed, direction, length, and the route you want to take to the basket. I've never thrown the 150 firebird, so I can't comment on it. I use to throw a 169 star firebird...

a nice and easy windy day disc would be nice. something for general driving as well.

Definitely the first time I've seen the word "Penetration" on these boards.

Can you elaborate?
This is hilarious! :D

a nice and easy windy day disc would be nice. something for general driving as well.
A nice and easy windy day disc and also for general driving...well, since I'm not sure what constitutes an easy windy day for you, I"ll say 15 mph wind or a little lighter is easy. This being said, I would consider throwing a halo, opto flow, riot, and trident. All are gold line except for the flow and this is throwing into the wind. Heavier weights will generally be more stable...heavier than what you normally throw. I didn't mention the blitz b/c I don't consider it a general driving disc. I hope this helps and gives you some ideas. Ask if you have more questions b/c I'm sure everyone here wouldn't mind helping ya.

Try a Pain as a Roc substitute or a Fuse as a real beat up Roc substitute. But Fuse acts more like a Comet. River is a great disc also. It is a super glidey fairway driver. Probably most compared to a Leopard or Teebird depending on what plastics you are talking about. Striker is like a faster Teebird. Nice straight, stable fairway driver. XXX is a great OH disc and compares well to the Firebird.

Basically go buy a Pain, Fuse, River, Striker and XXX. They are all great. I like the Core also, but you may not really need it if you have a Pain and Fuse. You could always try it though.

Core is faster than a fuse or pain...way faster than a pain. Fuse and pain are amazing compliments to the core though. Core is fast and straight, it is a little touchy so messing with different weights is what ive found works with the core. I switched from a buzz, and core has made huge improvements to my game. The rim is great for small hands and was the biggest factor from switching from a buzz. If you dont like the rim,,just stick with a buzz. If you love the rim of the core,,it will go farther than a buzz everytime with equal throws. Def farther than a roc. I can never undertand how people throw rocs with that stupid rim anyway.

For me i cant use the core inside a certain distance. Right around 150 ft and less is where i switch to a fuse or pain depending on the shot.

Really wish they had factory seconds, or a deal like discraft does. I want to test more discs out, but can't afford to waste away $17-$18 a pop. That's my local shops price...I don't buy from the online retailers because I like to see and feel the disc before.

Second this^ I stopped buying them all together for the same reason. Don't get me wrong I love the discs. But my local shop sells out so quick, and if I lose one it would be difficult to replace without being able to check PLH. And with discraft running 5 dollars cheaper for the premium plastic at the same shop I couldn't say no to the stateside productions. I hope Latitude prospers to include a larger market in the US. Like a DTW in every state or something would be really nice. However I still carry what I consider to be their best molds. Flow, XXX, Striker, River, and some various Pures will never leave my bag. And if I should lose one I will definitely have to find a suitable replacement of identical make.

I have an opto striker, I'm waiting on a color shift bolt thats on the way and I also have a vip king. I'm becoming a huge fan of their plastic. I'm thinking about picking this
$(KGrHqR,!jQE3NJUJBlrBN3Y5s2RV!~~0_12.JPG
lot up as well not sure yet

Ah, that sucks. The other thing that stops me is I haven't seen my pro shop carrying much of their candy opto yet...though I haven't been in there often lately.

Occasionally there is an xout @dtw...but I usually bag them... muah ha ha

The short version is: They can't afford to ship a bunch of xouts overseas. Their prices here for new L64 discs are way lower than they are in Europe ($17 vs $24 for GL)

That lower price is only to stay competitive with other brands' premium plastics made here.

If they shipped the xouts here they wouldn't be much cheaper, if at all

I wanna say that GL plastic is my favorite at this moment. I've had my striker for more than a year now and it still doesn't have a single scratch on it and trust me i'm hitting trees all the time :p. Also, the river is a must have disc for anyone. That thing holds a line so well and is more forgiving than any stable/understable disc I've thrown. :thmbup:

Recently purchased some lat discs. I got Vision, Flow, Striker, Riot, River, Pain, Core, and Fuse. I have been carrying in my bag Roadrunner,XL, Orc, Predator, DX Teebird, Dx Leopard, Drone, Flat Top Roc, FLX Buzzz, and Z Comet. I Have a Innova tournement bag I take to courses i am not familiar with so i can shove a bunch of discs in in case i need them, but i also have a smaller bag for my local courses and only carry the discs i know ill need. My question is this, are all the Lat64 discs i listed suitable replacements for the other discs i listed for taking out on my local course? I have not had a chance, because of work and the weather, to throw any of the new discs yet. Oh yeah, all arfe in Opto if that matters.:confused:

Last edited:

Latest posts