• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Austin vs. Surrounding Suburbs

slicemaster

Par Member
Had an fun chat with a fellow Austin golfer recently and wanted to see what the masses thought.

Which is better as a whole under the best possible course conditions, the courses within Austin (not just maintained by the city, as MetCenter I include in Austin) or the surrounding suburbs.

Austin: Bartholomew, Zilker, Circle C, SeaRight and Metcenter. Keep in mind Roy G. joins the club in a matter of weeks.

Surrounding Area: Old Settlers', Cat Hollow, Rivery, Williamson County, Austin Ridge Bible Church, East Metro. Twin Parks, Wells Branch and North Town. (excluding Circle R and Moody's only because they are private and not always open to play.)

There is no wrong answer here but I think I might give the slight edge to Austin with Roy G. opening soon.

Opinions?........

I think benbrook is underrated FWIW.

Considering that the surrounding suburbs are all in different directions from Austin and the Austin courses are all pretty close together (relatively) It's better to live near town.

Personally, I live north of town but work downtown so I have frequent access to all of them except the ridge and twin parks.

I' not as close to some of the surrounding courses as I am to some of the Austin courses (Georgetown- have to drive no matter what). In my opinion, based on this list, the surrounding courses have a leg up because they provide a better variety. Also in my opinion, Austin Ridge Bible is the best course in Austin. It's a bit of a hike and its not always easy but it is amazing.

I already miss austin

I just moved from Austin to Colorado springs 8 days ago and I aleady miss Austin. Circle C, Searight, and Metcenter, with Roy G fixing to open? I'll take that over the surrounding courses. The church is fun and East Metro is a great course, but I walked a bit of Roy G before I left, and that place is going to be nicest course in Austin. Either way, you cats in Austin, don't take it for granted. I miss it already.

ohhh good one... I would say the surrounding area gets the slight nod. Bart and Zilker although fun aren't really in the same category as Searight, Circle C, and the Met. Plus, I love Rivery, East Metro, and WilCo. Include Bible Ridge in that mix and you have a winner - although I think Circle C is the best of the lot I've played. When Roy G. opens it may be a different story, but I soppose we'll see.

My vote goes to the Austin courses. I play mostly Searight, Circle C and Zilker. Being a casual, weekend player, these courses are more suited for my skill level. Living in Oakhill makes these courses the most convenient as well. Some day I'll venture out to Bible Ridge but I'm afraid it'll kick my a$$. I'll probably give Roy G a shot when it opens. Its getting tons of hype.

Circle C and MetCenter make for better pro level courses than Wilco and Old Settlers IMO, but the surrounding Austin area has central Austin beat on more beginner friendly and all par 3 style courses.

It's more of a North vs. South thing is Austin rather than a central vs. surrounding. If you live on the south side, you are much closer to Bible Ridge than players who live near Wilco.

Latest posts