• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Avenger

Technohic

* Ace Member *
So, I have been driving 162-164 X XLs for the most part for long turnovers; and a 167 Z Pred for my overstable. So I figured an X Avenger at around 162-164 weight would fit perfectly in the middle, and am waiting for mine to arrive. I seem to get a great grip on the Pred and heard the Avenger has a similar feel but not as overstable.

My question is, what are the thoughts on this disc? I did a search and it seems that you just hear about the Avenger SS and i'm more curios about the regular Avenger

The Avenger won't be nearly as easy to control as the XL. It will be more like a less overstable Pred than a mix between a Pred and XL. It will proably start off as more of a moderately overstable driver and then beat in to a distance driver rather than acting like a control driver like the XL.

A Z XL might be a good choice if you want something more on the XL side but with less HSS than the X XL.

Hmm, that might be actually good as my XL I typically throw for long turnovers and Im carrying Teebirds again for when I just dont have the play to put some hyzer on the XL and let it work left and right. Maybe it would mean the Teebird would stay my straight control disc for now and the Avenger would eventually come my distance driver.

I throw avengers in X plastic. It is funny you mentioned Tee birds, because the X Avenger when unbeat fly's a lot like a Champ Teebird. As they beat in they become a long turn over disc. They have more glide in X plastic.

Great Disc though.

Hmm, that might be actually good as my XL I typically throw for long turnovers and Im carrying Teebirds again for when I just dont have the play to put some hyzer on the XL and let it work left and right. Maybe it would mean the Teebird would stay my straight
control disc for now and the Avenger would eventually come my distance driver.

Yep, the avenger will become your controlled distance driver. Faster then an xl or tbird, with simillar turn and fade properties as the tbird. Think beast, Orc, olf.
I rotate heavy (173&174) ESP, z, d,& x along with 167 x and z. I don't have any as light as yours but I would expect more turn- especially being x plastic.
I'm guessing your flick is for oh- try the avenger. I try to limit my oh use but in pro/am dubs, many times it's my best chance to be usefull.
I'm glad you didn't start at max weight but you may want to try a 167.
Nose down is key for the avenger.

Just re-read op, scratch the 167 comment, I use to use 167 xls for tunover, so maybe my 167/173 combo is your 162/167 combo. If you're throwing that light, I bet a 174 z avenger could possibly tackle your pred duties?

Just re-read op, scratch the 167 comment, I use to use 167 xls for tunover, so maybe my 167/173 combo is your 162/167 combo. If you're throwing that light, I bet a 174 z avenger could possibly tackle your pred duties?

We'll see how it goes, but my Pred gets me a nice skip shot I use a lot for tight hyzer shots. The Flick is my OH and get out of trouble disc where I flex it varrying angles and its sharp edge seems to get me through some branches other discs have a hard time with.

Hmm, that might be actually good as my XL I typically throw for long turnovers and Im carrying Teebirds again for when I just dont have the play to put some hyzer on the XL and let it work left and right. Maybe it would mean the Teebird would stay my straight control disc for now and the Avenger would eventually come my distance driver.
That's a really common and IMO, good plan.

I love my avengers, use them alot for nice controlled throws. I can't get them as far as some of my other throws but I always know where they are going to go. I have had a 171 z avenger for over 3 years, its been runover, hit gillions of trees, concrete, and cars and it still fades back like a charm every time I throw it. Love the avenger.

The Avenger won't be nearly as easy to control as the XL. It will be more like a less overstable Pred than a mix between a Pred and XL. It will proably start off as more of a moderately overstable driver and then beat in to a distance driver rather than acting like a control driver like the XL.

Please define what you meant by "control driver". I'm not sure what you meant here, but suspect it must be similar to the term fairway driver. What are the properties of a control driver? I ask because my Avenger that started out flying like a firebird is now my 320' dead straight driver of choice. It certianly didn't start out that way, but I couldn't imagine playing a round now without it. I also missed the slower, more controlable hook it had when it was new, and recently picked up another blue ESP Avenger to fill that need for me when my Drone wont quite get there, but an Excal would be too much disc.

Last edited:
If you're throwing a teebird for fairway shots, the X Avenger is a really nice transition to a distance type driver.

For more experienced throwers it falls (imo) in the category of a long fairway driver (with the striker, PD, and others of the same ilk) but all can be used very effectively as a distance driver as well.

Please define what you meant by "control driver". I'm not sure what you meant here, but suspect it must be similar to the term fairway driver. What are the properties of a control driver?
I try to use the terms from this article whenever possible:

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/discoverlap.shtml

but I'll say "fairway driver" when I mean "control driver" a lot of the time. I do that to enforce that most players will have a lot better control when throwing something in the "fairway driver" speed range of discs for their control driver.

If you're throwing a teebird for fairway shots, the X Avenger is a really nice transition to a distance type driver.

For more experienced throwers it falls (imo) in the category of a long fairway driver (with the striker, PD, and others of the same ilk) but all can be used very effectively as a distance driver as well.

I couldn't have said it any better myself.

I use Z and X Avengers. the X ones get flippy fast but take a while to actually get into roller status. the 2005 Am Worlds edition I have is super flippy and it is 9/10. my prototype X is damn near perfect. but I don't throw it because I don't want to lose it. The Z's are closer to a long Eagle X; great disc overall. the PD and SOLF are the closest Innova offerings but they have Discmania and Millennium respectively stamped on them.

I threw the Predator/Avenger combo for a while. It's been said already, the Avenger is a less stable Predator. They feel and look almost identical. The Predator is a little more concave on the wing, thus, making it more overstable. The Z Avenger is the next step away, and the X Avenger is another step away. This step away from overstablity increases glide and distance. The X is really grippy and will beat in nicely, making a really nice turnover/hyzer flip disc. What I found about the X aVenger is that even when it beats in, it still fade back, which I liked.

Just be sure to keep the nose down.

When you say a notch or 2 less stable than the Pred; my Pred flies straight like a Teebird, but fades a little earlier but still traveling forward. It doesnt do that right out of the hand though, and it still manages to make it just short of the teebird in straight line distance but probably travels a bit further if you measured by the flight path over to the left.

I threw the Predator/Avenger combo for a while. It's been said already, the Avenger is a less stable Predator. They feel and look almost identical. The Predator is a little more concave on the wing, thus, making it more overstable. The Z Avenger is the next step away, and the X Avenger is another step away. This step away from overstablity increases glide and distance. The X is really grippy and will beat in nicely, making a really nice turnover/hyzer flip disc. What I found about the X aVenger is that even when it beats in, it still fade back, which I liked.

Just be sure to keep the nose down.

The next step after the x avenger is the avenger ss

I love Avengers, my go to driver. I carry two 167g Z Avengers and a 172 X Avenger. As others have said, nose down is key. My go to Z Avenger is very beat and is a great control driver for me.

In my experience, try to get a flat top Z Avenger if you go that route. I find the ones that are really domey end up being WAY more overstable.

Yeah, but the domey ones have plenty-o-skip. Great choice if you plan on using the mold for oh. But yeah, overall I'd prefer a flat, especially if I'm looking for a 167 replacement.

Side note: I ruined a beautiful clear, old stamp avenger by putting one of those light pods on it:( used it last night for glo league- squirley pos!

Latest posts