• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Aviar question

d1scg0lf3r

Do the new big bead grid stamp Aviars fly the same as the old school no bead grid stamps? is the difference just the bead?

I use my older one for just dead straight 200ft runs and I just want a back up that will do the same.

How new are the grid stamp BBs? They will be more stable than the beadless regardless. Just wondering if they reran them recently.

I find BB's more stable than beadless, yes. If you have old grid stamps and love that stiff brittle plastic, you will not like the new dx plastic :(

The originals (the bricks) were small beads. Then they were beadless. There was a run a few years ago (maybe five?) of big beads. Now they're back to beadless.

Isn't the "magic" of the Yetti Pro Aviar's that they have a bead and they are Pro plastic. Plus the almost concave flight plate.

Ok didn't realize there were so many versions, here are pics of what mine looks like so which one is it? Hope they help.

Bead
Bead_zps22b3cd76.jpg

San Marino
SanMarino_zps8a2a0b4c.jpg

Patent
Patent_zps553bbcf7.jpg

That is a big bead.

Keep in mind that discs lose stability as they break in, so a new big bead won't be as straight as yours until it breaks in to that spot.

Yes, it looks a lot like todays runs of the Yetti Pro. I'll post pictures tonight if no one else does sooner.

The originals (the bricks) were small beads. Then they were beadless. There was a run a few years ago (maybe five?) of big beads. Now they're back to beadless.
Original whats? The original Aviar was beadless (think 80's.) Then they added a big bead to it. They introduced a small bead and ran it in a softer putter plastic as the Aviar P & A (chains Aviars.) All through the 90's the grid stamp was regular DX big beads, the chains stamp were putter plastic small beads.

The "Classic Aviar" when they brought the grid stamp back originally were small beads in stiff plastic. Is that what you meant?

Yes, it looks a lot like todays runs of the Yetti Pro. I'll post pictures tonight if no one else does sooner.
The Yeti is the Aviar X mold. The nose is blunter on the Aviar X than the old big bead Aviar. The old big bead Aviar had the same nose as the Aviar P & A. It just had a big bead on it.

lol ok someone told me it was a no bead, I just got back into discgolf this past year after about 9-10 years of not playing. I didn't realize that there were so many different variations now.

One of the many things I like about BB Aviars is that they are available in so many different plastics these days. Yeti, KC, JK, and I believe DX is available as a CFR disc.

The Yeti is the Aviar X mold. The nose is blunter on the Aviar X than the old big bead Aviar. The old big bead Aviar had the same nose as the Aviar P & A. It just had a big bead on it.

So with this pic, does that mean the Yeti Test Config (on the right) on the Factory Store is a big bead vs the Yeti's Aviar-X (on left)?

2013-01-17180130_zps27dc8a67.jpg

And I was talking about the Classic earlier. I didn't realize the big bead preceded the small bead in Aviar lore.

Last edited:
I can't tell. They look like the same nose to me. :(

Is there something weird with the picture or is the PLH really that much higher on the test config? The old BB and Yeti I just compared had the same PLH.

Nothing weird about it. They're both on the same cooling rack as all the profile pics I've been taking lately. The "real" Yeti isn't mine so I don't have access to it anymore, but I remember thinking about trying to elevate it to make the comparison a little easier when I took the pic. It looks to me like the wing is more rounded on the TC, but I'm not sure I noticed that when I was taking the pics. I am guessing it's a product of the PLH difference.

I do have a JK-X. I'll see if there's as extreme of a PLH difference between them.