• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Back into it after ~7 years, what discs should I try?

burtron3000

Played a lot 18 years to 7 years ago then pretty much stopped moving cities for a job, played in a lot of collegiate tournaments back then and was doing well in advanced in tournaments. And just WOW there are so many new discs with all of the + and 3 editions.

Met some friends that play in my new city and just all into it again. Tough to keep this short but can share what was in my bag. Firebird, 2x excaliber, 2x destroyer, 2x star PD, star teebird, star TL, 3x kc pro roc(want several more), star mako, pro rhyno, 2x jk aviar

Heading back to the hometown Charlotte in 2 weeks and it's time to shop for used/new discs there. More companies have popped up and soooo many new discs out, and a lot of mine with a + or 3 version.

Are there any must try's out there or discs that are in everyone's bag now? For sure open to non innova stuff and happy to add anything that helps with what to try.

That looks like a solid bag you have already. I wouldn't say any of those really "went out of style".

Thanks guys! I'll stick with what I know then and just slowly try some friends or people I play with's discs.

Did not read the stickies on here so making it more simple

1x firebird - thumbers, occasional big hyzers
2x excaliber - most flicks, lots of backhand hyzer
2x destroyer - pure distance backhand
2x PD - 1 domey 1 flat, most shots 320-380
2x teebird - woods, s turns
what here??? star tl now, maybe used leopard - turnovers that don't come back
1 MVP ?? - feels like a roc but further, more stable, and easier to flick
4x kc pro roc - everything
1 mako - some woods shots?
r pro rhyno - up shots of all kinds, woods driver
2 aviars - putting

See this is 11 molds which is more than ideal but is it a big deal, not sure what could go, maybe mako

If you have a good Roc cycle going you probably don't need the Mako. I think the Halo Destroyers are supposed to be really overstable so you might be able to drop the Xcals for those. PDs are getting tricky to replace but there's a lot of good stable control drivers to choose from (Instinct, Volt, Thunderbird, Orion LF's still around, Getaway, etc).

If you have a good Roc cycle going you probably don't need the Mako. I think the Halo Destroyers are supposed to be really overstable so you might be able to drop the Xcals for those. PDs are getting tricky to replace but there's a lot of good stable control drivers to choose from (Instinct, Volt, Thunderbird, Orion LF's still around, Getaway, etc).

Yeah good call on the mako, it's so glidy can't even use it for downhill shots so really no place for it.

I went shopping and got an ESP zone and holy wow the disc is amazing, I've never felt comfortable flicking anything not a driver and it is just straight money. If I can get my hands on what I'm learning from a friend is their jawbreaker plastic zones they can replace the rhyno too.

Shopping also I got 2 new pretty understable destroyers for distance (video I saw showed the flatter the bottom is the less stable), used instinct (it's a teebird just didn't know), used savant (wth Innova disc is terrible), and used undertaker.

The undertaker seems amazing, it flies almost just like my flat used PD which may be the most used in my bag. PDs look hard to come by and inconsistent so guess I'll just get a few undertakers and try out ESP plastic in it too. Not as good for sidearm but at least it's replaceable.

I'd like to replace the used star TL with a used leopard or even better something by discraft that flies like a used leopard out of the box so I don't have to worry if you know anything.

Maybe it's the Xcals that I have but they fly unlike a destroyer can and are flatter and more comfortable for sidearms. The are beat in but still impossible to turn over while holding straight much longer than an overstable destroyer is able too. Trying my friends Force which could replace them but it's kinda domey for sidearms.

The Heat is a really nice understable flyer out of the box and can probably fill that TL/Leopard spot. I like the domey Z Heats the best, they're fairly neutral and can be hyzer flipped really straight.