• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Back on the Road Again - Tour Stop #12 (Home on the Grange)

Status
Not open for further replies.

timg

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
Tour Stop #12
Home on the Grange and NT Final

The Grange was just as nice as I remember it and it had many improvements. It was so nice seeing Mike Trepasso and the Virginia crew like Robzilla and Billy Bob. I even saw my old buddy John Biscoe who runs an organic vegetable farm and stocked our refrigerator with some good hydroponic pea shout, colorful tomatoes, and refreshing greens. Mike let Synthya and I camp on the property for a week and we were able to enjoy all of his amenities. He has tiki golf, an arcade, ping pong, two eighteen hole courses, mini golf, live music, and a food cafe. What Mike has, has got to be every disc golfers dream, or at least it's my dream. Someday I hope to be able to afford to have something like what he has created.

Before the event Mike gave us tickets to a Redskins game. It was the final preseason game versus the Jacksonville Jaguars. The seats, 10th row on the fifty yard line. They lost 17-16 but it was nice seeing their new stadium. Growing up the Redskins were my favorite team. Also, before the event I went to that sports medical clinic and they said I tore my gastric muscle in my calf. All I can do is wear an air cast and rest to heal it. So I guess that will have to wait since I don't have time to rest.

I played Tiki golf with Robzilla and we lost in a 6 hole playoff to an old friend, Trip and his partner. In the actual tournament I came out and shot a pretty good 49 on the Sunnyside propelling me onto the lead card. I played well on the Darkside in the afternoon and shot a 46. This gave me a comfortable lead that I didn't relinquish. I played great on Sunday shooting a 48 and a 47 and won by 11 throws over Shusterick/Miller.

Overall it was one of my favorite weekends of the year. Synthya played advanced Women's and finished in 2nd place. She said she had a lot of fun. She hasn't played that many events this year and I was really proud of how well she played. She averaged 40 points above her rating. I would like to thank my caddy Kevin and Chuck from spikehyzer for a great event. Also, a shout out to Billy Bob for the use of his car and resealing our RV for the rainy fall season!

We drove 8 hours to Georgia to practice for the NT final. I have played the courses many times so this was just a refresher. We stayed with my friend Scotty O. who also caddied for me. Thanks Scotty! One thing I must say is that Augusta has some good food. We had Ghoolsby's and the famous Wifesaver. Both were bar none some of the best soul food in the country! They also have great BBQ and they have Zaxby's, which is one of my favorites for chicken strips. We went to a planetarium on the University of South Carolina campus to watch a show with the Champ (Climo), Wysocki, Goodpasture, and Scotty. It turned out to be more of a class than a show. Just trying to do something outside of the normal activities but it was so boring it was funny. We went to Baskin Robbins afterwards so it was still a fun night.

The event started and I was ready to go birding the first 11 holes. I popped out for an ace on hole 8. I finished kind of of weak and got a spit out on hole 12 and shot a -14, two strokes off the lead. During the second round I played ok, but I had some very bad luck on back to back to back holes. On 10 my drive hit a stick in the fairway and kicked in the bushes causing me to card a five. Then on 12 my drive landed under the pin and rolled OB, I stepped up and hit the pole from 20 feet for my par and it spit out on the ground. I dug deep and tried to focus and on the next hole, I pured my drive but it hit the basket an inch or two low for an ace and it rolled down the hill into the OB. I stayed with it birding 3 of the last 5 holes but that bad luck kept me out of the lead and lead group.

The final round I battled and on hole 13 my putt rolled down the hill OB and I carded a 5. It broke my spirit and I finished with only one more birdie. I finished in 11th place, a really tough finish to a long NT season. I did play well enough the rest of the year to finish in 5th place for the NT Series. I hope that I got that out of my system as I prepare for USDGC! I want to win and I will need luck on my side to claim a title in Rock Hill with all the ropes and hills. We are heading there for the next month to practice and relax a bit, staying with JohnE and his family. As I remember his mom cooks some good southern food! One Major to go in 2015!! Here we go!!!

The Grange is the Grange, its a really super disc golf experience. Fortunately for me, I've played there frequently since 1996 when Mike first put Sunnyside in the ground with homemade tire baskets; its all changed for the better since then.

I had fun spotting on hole #15 during the Hall-of-Fame Classic; Dave you had 2 of the best 3 drives on that hole--both 40 or so feet past the creek and up the hill. Simon crushed one in the final round about 50 feet further.

Look forward to your success at Winthrop; I'll be spotting on hole #9--don't screw up!

Dave

I'm sure its in the works. And you're prob tired of the whinning but let get some in the bags for the 2015 season.

Certainly including all the top lat 64 touring pros. I know a lot of the new guys were still figuring stuff out.

Let's make it happen!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts