• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Back on the Road Again - Tour Stop #14 (Jackson, MS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

timg

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
Tour Stop #14
Mango Classic / Halloween Haunting
Jackson, Mississippi

So we made it to Jackson and met course designer and club president, Doug Williams at Chautauqua Park. He showed us around his difficult course, and man it is hilly and long. Doug, former Putting World Champion (1996) still has some good golf game left in him as well. You can tell that he was a pro by playing his course designs. We stayed with Doug and his family and we must thank them for their generous hospitality.

Synthya and I played his second course, the Reservoir, and had a great time. I hit an ace and Synthya couldn't put her camera down. This was the kind of course we would love to have in our back yard. If you're ever in Jackson, our recommendation is to play the Res and head to Wilson's barbecue for lunch.

The event started and Cameron Colglazier came out on a mission shooting a hot score in the first round, and every round after. I played well taking a comfortable second place, posting solid rounds of 51 at the Res. on Sunday. After the final round I taught a clinic to the locals to spread the disc golf love in Mississippi. Steve Hollis ran a good event with the help of local club and he had a great payout. I made $1,250 for 2/20!

While in Mississippi we meet some great talent and possible future Latitude Team members. Even though we were super busy, we found time to fit in a date night in Downtown Jackson. We ate at a nice restaurant called Southern Cafe, it was amazing, they put a fried egg on top of my Caesar salad!!! It's always nice to try local grub while enjoying my wonderful better half's company. I also want to thank my caddy Pete Hindman.

We left immediately after the event and headed to Denver, CO. We meet up with teammate Jerome Knott and he showed us a good time in the Golden area, a suburb of Denver that we were thinking about moving to last year. It is a beautiful place but I think we will end up somewhere warmer.

Our reason for being in Denver was to run the Halloween Haunting, a PDGA C Tier event held at Birds Nest in Arvada just outside of Denver. We had a full field of 88 players and the weather was amazing, 65 and sunny. But before we ran our tournament, I was invited to the Throw Colorado Disc Golf Store in Colorado Springs to teach a clinic and play a doubles round. We had a great turn out, we enjoyed the course, the store was sweet, and the locals were fun. They even went as far as to make us homemade cupcakes.

Synthya and I are becoming a well oiled machine when it comes to running tournaments. Synthya made the most amazing trophies, I taught a clinic, and we gave out thousands of dollars of prizes. We have to thank John Bird for allowing us to use the course and helping us with the equipment we needed.

We really enjoyed running the event in Colorado, and as we are working on something big for next year, Colorado looks to be the final.

With no rest we jumped in the rental car and drove 13 hours to Mcallister, OK and stayed the night with Matt House and his family. He showed us his new Buffalo Ridge course and drove us around the course on a golf cart, we had a blast. His course is really challenging and we look forward to seeing his progress over the next few years.

Then we drove all day to New Orleans and stayed the night in the French Quarter. Again we met up with a Matt, this time it was Matt Orum, and had dinner and drinks on Bourbon Street. We are really considering spending our winters in the New Orleans area. We really like it for its culture, history, art, weather, and the old southern feel. In the middle of the night while everybody was getting drunk and partying, we were apartment shopping. It was fun.

After buying our masks, we headed to Fort Walton Beach for our friends wedding. It was a Masquerade style reception. These are Synthya's good old friends from Florida and they had a beautiful wedding on the beach.

By chance we were driving to our hotel and came across a Halloween Haunted Forest. We could not pass it up so at midnight we waited two hours and it was well worth it. Synthya was scared like a little girl.. Lol! After a night of celebration, we headed back towards Denver and stopped in Emporia, KS for a company meeting.

It is great to meet with my Swedish Owners any time they are in the U.S.. We covered some exciting stuff for 2016. I can't wait to tell you all about it.... in 2016.

We took the rental car for one last drive back to Denver to pick up our RV which is parked at the Rosenbaum's. They happily allowed our RV to stay at their house and showed us great hospitality on both ends of our trip.

We are back in the RV headed west..... ON THE ROAD AGAIN ......

Last edited:
Following this blog over the year has been a pretty cool insight to to the life of a touring pro. Thanks for sharing your year with us Dave and thanks to timg for posting these. The Halloween Haunting was an absolute blast and Dave you put on a very fun smooth flowing tournament. I even made it into one of the pictures here! Can't wait to see what is ahead for Colorado and hope I'll be able to be there!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts