• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Back Pain

madrast

Just wondering if anyone experiences back pain after playing 18+ holes.

I am 35 years old, relatively new player (I've been playing since August '08), who drives RHBH. I am very conscientious of form and technique.

The pain is in the lower back, above where the spine connects to the pelvis. Mostly, it's just a dull ache that lessens somewhat if I take a few days off. On days that I play many holes or if I am working on driving, I have an additional sharper pain just to the right of my spine in the lower back.

I use an X-step and I feel like the pain has something to do with my plant (right) foot rotation.

Anyone else have a similar problem?

Yep - it's only a sign of utilizing muscles that you're not used to using when you twist through your throws. It goes away if you play regularly. I only notice it if i take two weeks off without a round. It's kind of similar to having soreness in your throwing arm if you don't play for awhile.

You have to remember that you are subjecting your body to a motion that is different/unique in nature only to the sport you play and not necessarily your everyday routine. Like any activity that keeps you moving, it takes time to develop the muscles that you are using. STRETCH after your round - it helps me anyway!

It always helps to stretch before, during, and after a round. I had horrible back problems for a while. A little Yoga in the morning whipped me right into shape. Sounds kind of fruity but it works. Good luck!

Hi Madrast;

BOY!! can I relate to what you're going through. The following is based only on my experience.

A bulging spinal disk can put pressure on its nerve and cause pain. The mechanics of throwing a disc hard will cause probably cause exaggerated movement and unusual pain. (I'm guessing about the movement but is seems logical to me.) If the disk isn't too bulged bad the nerve will eventually scar and the pain will subside. Many people live quite normal lives with a bulging disc or two. I did for several years. (Too bad for me that I herniated a disc and needed surgery. More excruciating than I can describe. The surgery that is.)

As for the sharp pain the the right, if it is at the hip joint that is likely your sciatic nerve. You can easily hyper-extend this nerve and pop it out of place, particularly if you are planting your right foot out far. (That's what I did and how I did it.) Bending over to my left stretching before playing helps me. But I have to stretch gently or I can make it worse. Walking around a bit helps too.

The best over the counter thing I've found for the pain is Ibeuprofin (?sp). It reduces swelling and takes the pressure off the nerves in the back. I never take it before playing, only after. This way it won't mask any injury I may sustain while playing. My preferred pain remedy is a glass of whisky and a nap after 18 holes.

To prevent future pain I do an exercise that I was taught in rehab. I take a filled soda can and extend my arm forward at shoulder height. I take my free hand and place my fingers between the joints in my spine. Then I rotate the bottle slowly making 10" diameter circles (my shoulder being the top of the circle.) making sure I can feel the muscles in the joints working. This teaches you to use the proper muscles to hold up your back. I do this most every night before bed.

I'm also very careful about what I lift and how I lift it. Lastly, if you have a gut, get rid of it. I got up to 300# and carrying that around was part of my problem. Following is a link that I found helpful when I had the disc surgery. It'll lead you to other links on that site. Pretty good info there.

If I'd known I was going to love this long I'd have taken better care of myself. HTH

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/herniated-disk/DS00893

It always helps to stretch before, during, and after a round. I had horrible back problems for a while. A little Yoga in the morning whipped me right into shape. Sounds kind of fruity but it works. Good luck!

Fruity? Dude, Ballet works even better and there isn't anything harder to do on earth. I boxed and ran ultramarathons. Ballet class is tougher.

Fruity, my a$$.

Z

I was just joking! I would have to say though that ballet is way fruitier than Yoga! I would hate to meet you in a dark alley, if you boxed and ran marathons. That you make you a guy that could kick my ass that I couldn't run away from.:D

back issues are hard to deal with, but i agree stretching is soooooooooooo important. I broke my back a year ago and had a 4 disc (not the kind you throw) fusion operation, and making myself stretch and improving my flexability was the only way for me to play comfortably again. Also stretching your hamstrings can take a lot of stress off of your lower back, and also, strengthening your abs will not only take some strain off of your back but will also help get more hip action in your drive. Good luck hope the ache's stop

so ive had a few experiences heurting my back driving, ive always felt the pain in the lower right part of my back. after a lot of thought i found that it was because i didnt quite follow through w the left side of my body completely, i would just kinda stop halfway and my back would be left to absorb all that torque! try to maybe chase the disc w your left hand as u release it, this will make the left side of your body follow thru better. i started being more concious of my follow through and immediately on the first throw i felt much less pain! and wouldnt u know it? i was throwin further as well! hope this helps!

back issues are hard to deal with, but i agree stretching is soooooooooooo important. I broke my back a year ago and had a 4 disc (not the kind you throw) fusion operation, and making myself stretch and improving my flexability was the only way for me to play comfortably again. Also stretching your hamstrings can take a lot of stress off of your lower back, and also, strengthening your abs will not only take some strain off of your back but will also help get more hip action in your drive. Good luck hope the ache's stop

Yes...I know I am not too flexible, especially in my hamstrings. I'm gonna devote more time to pre and post round stretching. Thanks for the advice.

so ive had a few experiences heurting my back driving, ive always felt the pain in the lower right part of my back. after a lot of thought i found that it was because i didnt quite follow through w the left side of my body completely, i would just kinda stop halfway and my back would be left to absorb all that torque! try to maybe chase the disc w your left hand as u release it, this will make the left side of your body follow thru better. i started being more concious of my follow through and immediately on the first throw i felt much less pain! and wouldnt u know it? i was throwin further as well! hope this helps!

Yes, the lower back right is where most of the pain seems to be. I played a little today after taking a few days off and after my third drive, the pain returned, especially acute in my right upper hip. I've always thought it had something to do with my follow through. So I will try to focus on that and spinning more on the ball of my right foot, instead of planting it so hard.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Yep - it's only a sign of utilizing muscles that you're not used to using when you twist through your throws. It goes away if you play regularly. I only notice it if i take two weeks off without a round. It's kind of similar to having soreness in your throwing arm if you don't play for awhile.

You have to remember that you are subjecting your body to a motion that is different/unique in nature only to the sport you play and not necessarily your everyday routine. Like any activity that keeps you moving, it takes time to develop the muscles that you are using. STRETCH after your round - it helps me anyway!

Whew, this is good news. I got sick for about a week and didn't play for about five days. I think I tweaked my back as I was caughing in bed. Anyways, I am hoping as I get back into it more regularly again that the pain will go away. Hopefully by the tournament I am playing in this weekend.

I had the same pains when I used to go bowling all the time. Actually pulled something and was out of it for about a week. Went to a chiropractor... nothing... Went to my doctor. Gave me stretches to do every day, take about 3-5 mins to do and just helps loosen up those muscles in you lower back that normally don't get as much movement. I'll try to explain the exercises as best possible. I honestly do them in the shower in the morning and at night.

1) Basically stand spread eagle about 6-12 inches facing a wall.
2) Take your right hand and put it flat against the wall about shoulder height
3) Keep your left foot planted on the ground
4) In the same motion, take your left hand from the wall and back to about your ear while taking your right foot and moving it back about while you move your hand back.
5) Repeat but with your left hand planted against the wall and right foot planted on the ground moving your right hand and left foot together.

Start off doing 25-50 reps of each. Sounds kind of silly and looks just as stupid as it sounds but it really helped me and still does. Haven't really had any back pain since (almost 6 months). The only other thing I might recommend is some type of Tiger Balm. Apply it at the slightest sign of soreness on the back. Just don't get any on the boys, it's frightening.

i played for close to a year with my hip out of wack. The pain just got worse and worse. I finally broke down and went to the chiropractor and, about 15 visits later, the hip finally started to stay where it was supposed to be. I agree with the earlier post about losing the gut too, but if your bones are out of place, you may need a little professional help.

that's my problem with my drives (well one of them anyway;))is after the game I have a lot of soreness in my right knee and right hip. Think I am stopping well short of a complete follow through after releasing the disc. Kills my distance as well!

Yes...I know I am not too flexible, especially in my hamstrings. I'm gonna devote more time to pre and post round stretching. Thanks for the advice.

Yep, stretch. I am your age and stretching is essential. shoot, we need to stretch just for the walk;)

I find that when I do an X-Step with a decent reach back I have to turn my upper body away from the direction I'm throwing. If I try to keep my upper body and head facing the fairway while I do my reach back I find that it tweaks my lower back.