• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Backhand 1357

https://youtu.be/5e7wPdldYec

Noticed today thag I'm still throwing slightly noseup, uhh.

This pull is definitely correct for throwing nosedown, right?

I'm asking this since the only reason that could cause my slight nose up is my grip. I told my friend that even though I try and get my hand to that handshake position, it still doesn't go nose down.

My friend told me something that really made sence. He said that you should push and cock your wrist down right before the release, not before the throw. Basically just keep your wrist relaxed until right before the release when you push with your thumb and cock down.

Is this true?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I remeber you saying something about Josh Antons "trigger thumb"

You can do either with the wrist or in-between. I like to think it's taut or firm enough to maintain control, not too loose/slack, not too tight.

You are still dropping behind your rear foot and turning back behind it instead of leveraged in front of your rear foot. So you are hitting the top of your backswing too early before you plant.

I feel a lot more leverage holding the disc like Markus, more wing up with supinated arm/externally rotated shoulder. The way your hold the disc with your arm pronated/internally rotated shoulder makes it easier for too much slack/collapse to happen instead of remaining pulled taut and wider.

Would recommend you pump forward to help keep from turning back too early and leaning back so much.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91096

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-16 at 8.25.37 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-03-16 at 8.25.37 PM.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 131
Wow. I that disc angle at the top of the reachback is a big realization to me. It definitely feels like a lot more leverage now. I haven't actually thrown like that yet so I'm trying not to get ahead of myself.

Could that also be the reason for my slight noseup? It felt like when I focused on reaching back with the wing more up like Kallström, it naturally gets the nose down. It felt like it alligned the disc way better to be thrown nose down.

Yeah, holding the disc more up above the hand allows gravity to help put the wrist down naturally. The only time I hold the disc wing down like you there is on anhyzer or roller.

Is it correct that to throw further you have to make the throw feel longer? Like everything from the peak of the reachback to the release should feel longer to throw further

Yep, pendulum swings faster by swinging longer. And you can juice it by pumping on the front leg like standing on swing set.

https://youtu.be/M4VZEgiEYyA

This is video of me "getting it". I have a pretty slow runup and a long lasting pull that doesn't look fast at all. This was when I suddenly started throwing 470-500. I somehow forgot about the whole pendulum thing and went back to old distance.

The form here is otherwise rather terrible, but would you agree that the length and pendulum of the pull is better than I have know? I still remember thinking about the pendulum swing during those throws and I really didn't need to put any effort.

Your hand/disc are leading your elbow, so you have a very late cocking of the elbow and not reaching full extension at the hit and your follow thru looks rough on the elbow.

Also note how you are leaning forward into the plant and going over the top your front leg.

attachment.php

Attachments

• eagle sd3 me fh.jpg
    eagle sd3 me fh.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
I was definitely feeling kind of unsure about the posture on in my sidearm. That followthrough is new though so I'm excited to fix that.

But man have I been stupid. You've told me so many times that I can't do certain things like get on the front leg, because I'm never forward leveraged from the rear foot. I never understood what it ment, but today it hit me. It hit me when I read that in the x-step you want to HOP OVER THE REAR LEG, not onto it. So if you hop over the rear leg your whole body mass is forward relative to the rear leg and it's now forward leveraged. If you body mass hops onto or behind the rear leg you are not and will never be forward leveraged from the rear foot and there is no push force to drive the mass forward. So basically after the x-step you want to land on your rear leg so, that your body is immediately infront of the rear leg and the pressure is on the rear foot's big toe.

Am I now understanding this?

Better, but looks like you are still kind of seated or crouched and sticking your butt out and arching the lower back and not really engaging your core ab/butt muscles through the pelvis or getting the pelvis more underneath the upper body.
fmgN92I.png

Looking good, nice left arm swim move!

I think you need to Dingle Leg your front leg more passive/hang in the stride to end up/drop into narrower stance and make a quicker shift between your feet. It's like you pick your front leg up and reaching out too far ahead of your rear leg drive (related to the early little crouch behind rear leg). The front leg should be slung back behind the rear leg drive and swing/kick ahead at last moment into the plant.

If you are striding down the stairs feel how your rear leg needs to be upright and then controlling the hanging Dingle Leg drop the front leg into the plant. If you go to your bottom stair, you can make a longer stride, feel how your rear leg controls the distance of your Dingle Leg plant - any distance you want, not your front leg stepping or reaching out to the plant.

Looking good. Looks like your left arm is a little out and behind you.

I'm pretty happy with the consistency and accuracy of my drives. I just feel like I need a bit more power and speed out of my drives though.
https://youtu.be/FpzLOd8j2rg

What seems to be the biggest power leaks in my throw? For me I think/it seems like my reachback is early. That could really reduce power quite a bit.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Latest posts