• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Backyard Courses

What I plan on doing for my possible future course (I'm gonna be really bummed now if it doesn't pan out) is hanging makeshift wind chimes from tree branches. Either made out of metal piping or bamboo. It would be enough to let you know if you hit it. If I figure something better out I can always take them down easily enough.

That actually sounds like a really good idea! I think you could hang pretty much anything and be able to see it get hit but I really like the idea of the bamboo. Let me know how it works out when you get a chance to try it.

What I plan on doing for my possible future course (I'm gonna be really bummed now if it doesn't pan out) is hanging makeshift wind chimes from tree branches. Either made out of metal piping or bamboo. It would be enough to let you know if you hit it. If I figure something better out I can always take them down easily enough.

Wind chimes work great and def. let you know when you hit it. The only thing to think of is your neighbors on those windy nights...

^^ He was there that day. Not a pitch and putt. I was really impressed with the lay out.

There were some novelty holes. The fence with all the old plastic hanging on it, the basket with grass growing thru the bottom and cut even with the top of the basket. If it went in it stayed in.
The home made wooden basket was cool.

Thanks for the props fellas. Just a point of clarification. The TZ layout uses 12 baskets and there are a couple others that only get played on the Pee Wee's Playhouse layout.

My backyard course has grown into an 18 hole layout.
it currently has 6 homemade baskets.
it's on approximately 4 acres.
Here are pics of my baskets and my newest gravel tee pad.
(i have a couple concrete and natural pads also)

Attachments

• 2013-10-06_12-05-55_537.jpg
    2013-10-06_12-05-55_537.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 20140101_162350.jpg
    20140101_162350.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 52
That's what the folks who own Cabin Creek did. They specifically had disc golf in mind when looking at different pieces of property to build on... I'd say the chose.

Cabin Creek is still a great course even though all of that paintball crap is in the way. Just makes the course more unique I guess.

They look nice, as does the property shown in the tee pic. :clap:

May I ask why you have two rows of wood around the tee? Just wondering.

They look nice, as does the property shown in the tee pic. :clap:

May I ask why you have two rows of wood around the tee? Just wondering.

Its hard to see in the pic but the Tee is down in a hole, on the side of a sloping hill.
So the out side boards are to make the grade level, for somewhere to put the Tee (the inside boards).
The Tees are 5x10 with another 2-3 feet around it, so you don't fall off the edge.

Those baskets are sweet! Props to you man :clap:

Is that a hub cap for the base of the basket?

they are made from big truck wheels
i used 22" for the basket and the corresponding ring for the chains, then a smaller 20" for the foot.

i got the idea from hornings hideout
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=2702#

here is a better pic of the basket bottom foot
and a pic of the gravel Tee Pad that helps better show whats going on with the outer boards

Attachments

• 20140101_163243.jpg
    20140101_163243.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 36
  • painted basket.jpg
    painted basket.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 37
That is pretty creative! So is the gravel set in anything or is it just packed down?

That is pretty creative! So is the gravel set in anything or is it just packed down?

just a dirt base, with a couple inches of compacted gravel on top
can be seen in blurry pic

Attachments

• 20140101_151832.jpg
    20140101_151832.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 36
Do you guys think I could put a 9 hole course in on 4 acres of land. There is a little bit of elevation and I would need to clean up

the main part of my course is on 3-4 acres
here is a pic of a hand drawn map of my latest 18 hole layout
we play 3 of the best holes twice
the average hole length is approx 200'-285'

Attachments

• 20140314_074949.jpg
    20140314_074949.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 37
We've just purchased 10 more acres- so we'll be expanding the current 9 basket/18 hole BRATS into 18-27 holes over the next 5 years. Also just got a new tractor. We'll be planting trees, digging ponds, making hills and starting to design this year. Local volunteers welcomed! Once complete, it should be open (p2p) to the public country club style.
Ann Arbor, MI

Its hard to see in the pic but the Tee is down in a hole, on the side of a sloping hill.
So the out side boards are to make the grade level, for somewhere to put the Tee (the inside boards).
The Tees are 5x10 with another 2-3 feet around it, so you don't fall off the edge.

Cool. From the perspective of the picture I didn't realize how big the pad was. Very nice!

And I could use your help with my tees. :D They're solid, but I haven't put the work into them that you have. So erosion is taking its toll on them. I just want to play, though, and not improve the course.

Last edited:
I really like the homemade baskets I think they bring a certain element of novelty to the course, depending how and what they are made of. I have so many trees on my land that it takes a lot of work to clear all the overgrown branches. I think for my tee pads I will use gravel base than large pavers than sand to "cement" it all together. Maybe 2 or 3 feet wide and 8 feet long, I also like tee pads that are different shapes that "point" you in the direction of the basket.

Latest posts