• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bag Tag

Ahh, ok I gotcha. So I take it no one ever refuses to play people so they can retain their #1 card, right? 'Cause that would be lame.

The way we do our weekly challenge at our course is we use minis vs. bag tags, each is #'d with the standings on the bottom. We are each gunning to get/keep the #1 tag. Since we usually have about 10-12 people, we break off into 2 groups, usually odd #'s in one group, even's in the other. After playing the round, <and we vary from time to time on the style, sometimes Ript revenge, sometimes short tee pads, sometimetimes a 1,2, or 3 disc challenge> we find out at the end who has the lowest score round, that person then takes the #1 tag. If it was a tie, the person who had the lowest # tag then gets the lowest tag. Then it goes in order according to the round as to who gets what # tag. The Ript revenge rounds often are interesting for us, because usually the best players get "ganged up" on by the other players, and those who are usually down at the #9 and #10 tags move up to top 5.

the bag tag idea looks fun. I'm organizing a bag tag system for some friends I play with. How long do they normally last?

You do not have to have an end date as long as everyone continues to participate. If you have people disappearing, you may want to have a mandatory bag tag tournament at the beginning of a bag tag year then the people that cannot come will be given the next available tags first come first serve.

the RiCDGC in Richmond VA has tags for all it's members last i knew of was like 50 or so, but during the monthlys or torneys when everyone throws their tags in you could jump double digits if you had a good round, just adds a challenge to what ever round you play with someone who has a tag.

Only a few months, but it has really added to the games. Challengers win all the time and I have been on the wining and loosing side. I have had 2,4,5,8, and 9. What is fun is when a player with a high number beats a low number. THe person that was for example 2, will now be like 8. Often times they may try for a number in the middle like 5 on the way back up. Obviously a person that had five does not want to be 9 but they just lost to a person that was at one time good enough to be 2 so they might challenge for 6 or 7.

Also people like to play in groups of 4 and 5 and throw them all in.

Forgot to quote iin the reply above

When everybody puts their tags in for a tournament this is called a "tag dump"
In our club you really cant refuse a tag challenge but sometimes those people with the lower numbered tags will mysteriously disappear for a while or 'misplace' the tag or they 'left it at home', etc.
We have a big end of the year bag tag tourney. You get seeded by the number you end up with.
Our tags are plastic so they will last a good long time. See info here:
http://www.wncdiscgolf.com/bagtag.htm
Here's a pic of one of our 2008 tags:
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk270/jdubent08/062808 WNCDGC party/tag20.jpg

Pretty cool looking logo.

We have a big end of the year bag tag tourney. You get seeded by the number you end up with.

How do you seed a DG tourney? Is it match play or something?

ERic

Great Bag tag. Where do you have them done? Are they expensive for the whole lot of them?

How do you seed a DG tourney? Is it match play or something?

ERic

In our league we play match play for 9 holes in a single elimination braket.
If 20 people show up 17-20 would play 13-16 and the 4 winners would drop into the 13-16 slot and play a standard 16 seed elimination tourney.

For those that don't know match play you play hole by hole and you either win lose or tie and it doesn't matter by how much. And once you're down by more holes than there are left it's game over, so the top players can knock out thelower players pretty quick.

Great Bag tag. Where do you have them done? Are they expensive for the whole lot of them?

ANSWER:

I made ours with printer paper, and laminated luggage tags. I got a fifty pack for about 15.00 online, but I think they sell them in less quantity at your big box office store. We have used about 20 and they hold up well. Do not worry about buying a laminator, just use a household iron with no steam with a sheet of printer paper between the iron and the tag.

I completed a set of 10 today, thanks for the great idea. It cost me all of about $12, I had to buy new printer cartridges but I had that expense anyway. I am going to try an post a picture of them. I think they look great, let me know what you think. Thanks.

Not sure where the club got them. Contact them for info. When I did a quick search online there are all kinds of companies making bag tags.
Our top 20 tags are in a different color too.
Here's a pic of the 2006 tag:http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk270/jdubent08/062808 WNCDGC party/06bagtag13.jpg
Here is the other color '06 tag:
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk270/jdubent08/062808 WNCDGC party/06tagtag20.jpg
The whole 'bag tag' deal comes from ball golf. Each golf course/club has its own bag tag. I play over in Knoxville & they have a cool looking bag tag that is sized just like a credit card, but thicker.
I bought my tag (#7) early in the year at the club party. So far this year I have had the #4, #10 "half tag" (it was broken in 1/2), #11, #20, #21, #29, #36, #40, #42, #44, #53 (current tag, doh!). I may have had more numbers but I only just recently started keeping track.

Thanks for the compliments. I only have a few of us that play in my group, I wish we had more people. "Gottafixit" and "Aaron", if we can hook up and play I would like to include you guys in my tag challenge.

We played for tags 1 & 2 yesterday and I shot my personal best, 47. On top of my personal best, I got my first Ace on hole #16, what a feeling. The shot looked like it was on rails, right in the basket.

As far as the tags go, they were very easy to make just like Blang posted. It saved me a bunch of cash and I still have about 14 lamination tags left. If one gets damaged or I need to add some numbers, I just print it off my computer and then seal it up with my iron, done.

Our club offers a bag tag as part of its membership. We have leagues that are based on the bag tags as well as just for fun rounds.
bt4.jpg

Here is a link to our clubs bag tag.
we started out last year with about 80 some members getting bag tags. This year the tags where so popular we ended up distributing all 150 of those ordered. The first year we used old school hotel key tags and this years tags are aluminum

I've seen a few questions regarding a place to purchase bag tags. Anyone recommend a place online? The local trophy shop wants to charge $10/each for plastic ones.

There were some other options posted in the DGCR tag threads.