• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ball Golf / Disc Golf courses

wow, 16 courses don't exist anymore. Wonder why so many are now closed? DG or ball golf related?

To answer that, you might have to sort out which courses are closed, and which no longer have disc golf.

I understand golf itself is struggling, so any complete closures are surely golf-related. I surmise that many of the golf courses that added disc golf were already struggling; why would a golf course that's already doing well, add disc golf?

On the other hand, the courses which simply pulled the baskets but continue operating, probably found that's disc golf on a golf course isn't a lucrative as they thought. I can think of a few in that category.

Had a great time with the 'ballers

9 Springs Golf and Disc Course in Fitchburg, WI. $5 for 9 or $8 for 18, but it is only a nine hole course. maybe they'll only charge you $1.50 if you go a third time? says play could be very slow if you are following ballers.

I had the opportunity to play Quail Canyon D/BGC in Tucson last week. Unlike some of the D/BGC courses I have played, this course shares tee pads with the ball golf and the basket is often placed using the ball green as an OB. Play with ball golfers is required. I had the pleasure of joining up with/ playing through two different groups of ball golfers. The ball golfers were really nice about it, and one group even razzed me about laying up on the water carry (one of them put a ball in the pond) - which was fun. At Quail Canyon, the ball golfers were really pleasant and understood that the two sports play at different speeds and that is ok. The sharing of space was effortless. I was there on a weekday, it may be different on a weekend, and I was dressed as per PDGA dress code and not my normal torn tee shirt. I think that part of the fun at that course was the ball golfers and that Quail Canyon has (based on my one round) got it right.

Wildhorse Golf Club just outside of Las Vegas, NV has disc golf and ball golf currently. It looks like they've actually expanded more into the disc golf world as they're website now has a section dedicated to disc golf. I plan on playing there in March and can give feedback/review if wanted.

I'm always the pessimist when I see disc golf added to a ball golf course. "Well, that will last about a year..." I've just seen it fail a few times, so I'm bias.

It's good to hear there are some locations that have a very successful integration, especially where the courses are shared and their is a lot of ball golf/disc golf interaction happening.

DD just had some Youtube videos out where they went to a golf convention and are selling disc golf as another revenue stream for existing golf courses. They had a clip with who I suppose was the owner/operator of Country Club or the Municipal course they use at the GBO. He was talking about the year to year revenue increases they are seeing from implementing a disc golf course.

I'm so sad to hear that verdugo closed near LA. It was super fun playing there under stadium lights. I could see it being a bit bland for normal rounds though. Just a neat experience under stadium lights.

My favorite ball golf / disc golf course though has to be villas crossing though nearish to Allentown PA. Super fun and well designed.

I'm so sad to hear that verdugo closed near LA. It was super fun playing there under stadium lights. I could see it being a bit bland for normal rounds though. Just a neat experience under stadium lights.

Nah, that place was a treasure, day or night. All the locals are feeling the loss.
I'd wager they were making more from disc golfers, than ball golfers (not including the driving range). The owners just had more to gain by turning into condos.

Two tentative courses opening up in Los Angeles to try and fill a Verdugo sized hole:

(only Mondays and Tuesdays as of writing....)
Weddington Golf Course
4141 Whitsett Ave
Studio City, CA 91604

and

(Opening tourney March 11)
Mission Hills Golf Course
16111 Plummer St.
North Hills CA 91343

I'll highly recommend The Rock at Stonewall Golf Course in Germanton, NC, just North of Winston Salem. It has massive elevation (for North carolina, at least) and very long, gently sweeping fairways. Seems like every 3rd hole is a "signature" hole.

Ball golf and disc golf players are out there at the same time, and everything goes quite smoothly. It's $14 to play, which is VERY fair, in my opinion, for what is probably going to be a 4 hour round. The course is near 13,000 feet long! A cart is included in that price.

Gleneagles just opened yesterday in San Francisco. Long, challenging, windy, beautiful, and technical. Championship caliber. High quality installation, including DiscGolfPark tee pads (artificial turf).

I'll highly recommend The Rock at Stonewall Golf Course in Germanton, NC, just North of Winston Salem. It has massive elevation (for North carolina, at least) and very long, gently sweeping fairways. Seems like every 3rd hole is a "signature" hole.

Ball golf and disc golf players are out there at the same time, and everything goes quite smoothly. It's $14 to play, which is VERY fair, in my opinion, for what is probably going to be a 4 hour round. The course is near 13,000 feet long! A cart is included in that price.

I'll 2nd this. I can get my ass kicked on too many courses for free though to spend $14 regularly but as an occasional experience it's cool. Of course I'm cheap, I'm a disc golfer.

Gleneagles is 2100 Sunnydale Ave, San Francisco, CA 94134. Probably best approached from Hwy 280 or through McLaren Park, rather than through the projects along Sunnydale.

Latest posts