• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bartledoo

I would only consider getting behind this idea if there was also a high power water cannon to blast at whoever is teeing off.

But seriously no I would avoid this. I don't need my own reaction to an ace filmed and I would never pay for it.

You should talk with someone who runs a catch cam about where they position the camera and manage filming of incoming shots. I think positioning would be complicated, particularly if you were not placing the camera on the basket. You would likely be capturing such a low number of shots and generating such a massive amount of data, plus servicing. All that is to say, I don't see it working.

Last edited:
i wouldn't want to have a pic. If i ace a hole i just use my cell phone and do a selfie at the hole. Plus the one problem i have with it also is that if some jerk who throws a errant shot that lands near where the camera is positioned. for them to steal the camera. we had a course near me that put up a couple of cameras to catch the people vandalizing the course. they got one camera but the second one caught them stealing the first camera and breaking a tree.

I could see paying for ace footage. I've only ever thrown 1 ace, and my witness and I broke up.
Without hesitation, I'd probably pay $50+ for a clean DGPT quality video from both tee and basket of that shot.

But even if you limited the cameras to the most likely to ace holes, it seems like it would take a long time for your investment to pay off.
And anything of value in a public park is subject to theft or vandalism.

I saw someone somewhere, maybe here or maybe some other social media site, bring up the notion of setting up a phone/device mount on a post, with the mount aimed in such a way to capture the tee and basket both in the shot. I would be a big fan of these on top of tee signs that are set up behind tees. Just a simple slot mount nothing that needs to be moved around. Just set your phone in it and turn on your camera if you want to get a video of yourself throwing the shot.

I saw someone somewhere, maybe here or maybe some other social media site, bring up the notion of setting up a phone/device mount on a post, with the mount aimed in such a way to capture the tee and basket both in the shot. I would be a big fan of these on top of tee signs that are set up behind tees. Just a simple slot mount nothing that needs to be moved around. Just set your phone in it and turn on your camera if you want to get a video of yourself throwing the shot.
and then a disc hits the phone and there goes an expensive cell phone.

This actually makes cost effective sense, assuming the tee sign is positioned well behind the tee to do so. I could see people using this to record their form as well.

For views from behind the tee pad, you probably won't get a great view of a disc going in the basket....but you will get a view of your form. I have a GoPro mounted on a selfie-stick. The selfie-stick fits in my bag really well, so i can just set my bag in a good spot, out of other player's ways, and get good shots of my throws. When I use my cart, I just attach the GoPro to my cart. I won't get shots of the disc going in the basket, but that is not what I'm "focusing" on. :D

and then a disc hits the phone and there goes an expensive cell phone.
Please note on the emphasized part of my post:

For views from behind the tee pad, you probably won't get a great view of a disc going in the basket....but you will get a view of your form. I have a GoPro mounted on a selfie-stick. The selfie-stick fits in my bag really well, so i can just set my bag in a good spot, out of other player's ways, and get good shots of my throws. When I use my cart, I just attach the GoPro to my cart. I won't get shots of the disc going in the basket, but that is not what I'm "focusing" on. :D
I agree, it would only make sense on certain holes where you can get a great shot of the tee, the intended flight path, and the basket. I don't think it would be suitable on every hole of any course except for some of the most wide open out there.

Most 'ace-able' holes have permanent records of aces on the tee sign/pole/whatever. There usually are not many dates/names. Most of us who play are happy to get to C2 on many holes, or not hit first available. That is more common than the pros making an ace on a 350' tree-lined hole. You might wait months between aces.

Plus, if people steal baskets, which are hard to steal, you think they will leave a camera alone?

Nothing wrong with thinking out loud, and keep it up, but this idea is DOA.

I agree with most - no to the idea, especially as a business. But, Woj on the idea of some sort of mount for cell phones, so players can easily record their form, is interesting. Theft is such an ugly thing! My favorite local course had many of the signs stolen recently, and they replaced them with smaller signs with less info on them. Hard to blame them. Sad - how much metal value can that little sign actually have? Plus, you could get caught, or the signs could be recognized by somebody and maybe get you in trouble that way.