• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Basket at Costco...

I don't know if they're the same all the way across the board, but mine is the one with the orange chain ring and bucket with the black poles and stand. The brand is Park and Sun Sports.

The plus side is that mine caught pretty well out of the box, much better than an InStep. Still, I added a second ring of chains to the inside with ease (and $15) and it is now just as good as the real thing. It's a pretty good basket.

The negatives are that it is a little fragile where it screws together at the bucket and stand. The problem is that the threaded holes the bolts coming out of the posts screw into are just in a metal plate about 1/8" thick, where it should have been an actual nut welded on the inside. All it takes is for someone to lean on it or try to tighten it too much and the threads stripped out. I fixed mine by knocking out the two bolts that came in it and dropping a thicker, coarser threaded rod through it and used locking nuts to hold that in place. Then I used a tap to cut new threads in the base and other pole for the rod to thread into. That works much better than the original, but I'm also careful to not let anyone else put it together or take it apart.

Aside from that problem, it's a very sturdy, good catching, good looking basket.

I have two of these. I have also added a second ring of chains and outside of the top inch or two under the chainring mine catch as well as any premium basket. If you hit too high the disc just bounces off because the chains do not have a sliding attachment point at the top like the course install baskets do. I do have the same problem with the bolts stripping and if you could post some pictures of how you fixed yours that would be awesome. I was just going to weld mine to be permanently assembled.

Just picked one up, the local Costco (Macomb, Michigan) had quite a few. Planning to add some chains to the inside tomorrow.

How are these holding up for everyone, I'm thinking of buying one.
i really like mine

I don't know if they're the same all the way across the board, but mine is the one with the orange chain ring and bucket with the black poles and stand. The brand is Park and Sun Sports.

The plus side is that mine caught pretty well out of the box, much better than an InStep. Still, I added a second ring of chains to the inside with ease (and $15) and it is now just as good as the real thing. It's a pretty good basket.

The negatives are that it is a little fragile where it screws together at the bucket and stand. The problem is that the threaded holes the bolts coming out of the posts screw into are just in a metal plate about 1/8" thick, where it should have been an actual nut welded on the inside. All it takes is for someone to lean on it or try to tighten it too much and the threads stripped out. I fixed mine by knocking out the two bolts that came in it and dropping a thicker, coarser threaded rod through it and used locking nuts to hold that in place. Then I used a tap to cut new threads in the base and other pole for the rod to thread into. That works much better than the original, but I'm also careful to not let anyone else put it together or take it apart.

Aside from that problem, it's a very sturdy, good catching, good looking basket.

i had one of the bolts kinda strip the threads on the 1/8" plate
so i just put a nut on it also
and had to re-weld a spot on the foot hoop

once you add the 6 inner chains they catch great

just remember its a $69 basket (with 3 crappy discs) not a $200 basket

Last edited:
fondled the display a little at the local Costco (where they had lots in stock) and did not seem that bad at ALL for the price. Chains would be super easy and cheap to add, the metal can be reinforced without issues and over-all good enough IMO to be a superb practice basket but not made out of tent material and half the price.

Winner.

BTPEzaP.jpg

Added 12 inner chains, catches great. Total chains: 24

I just went and got another for myself. I had one last year and this years model has been improved.
The mfgr. put in thicker bolts that have a coarser thread (this is a good thing) and made the threaded plate that they go into thicker and tapered. They've also included 4 washers to reduce the chances of seizing and stripping.

UCF Knight
a: I used a hammer to knock the two stripped bolts on the post back inside of it and just left them there (yes, they rattle a bit when you're putting it together, but they don't matter when you play)
b: I went to the hardware store and bought a 25" threaded rod ($3) that was a little thicker and had coarser threads than the original bolts, as well as two low profile lock-nuts (35¢) that fit the rod. I also picked up some washers large enough to overlap the diameter of the posts (25¢)
c: I already had a tap, but if you don't, buy a tap that cuts the same size threads as the threaded rod. ($6-8)
d: Use the tap to recut the threads in the stand and in the upper post.
e: slide the threaded rod through the post you knocked the bolts inside of and tighten on the low profile lock nuts until the rod is even and tightly secure.

Now, it's as good as new... in fact, it's better because I know it's not going to happen again.

Again, the new one I just bought shouldn't have this same problem.

I have three so far, and am hoping to have a full set of nine before they sell out. This way we can set up a safari course in any park we want. Kind of a disc golf rave thing.

I have three so far, and am hoping to have a full set of nine before they sell out. This way we can set up a safari course in any park we want. Kind of a disc golf rave thing.

Around here the scrap collectors would be picking them up behind you as you placed them and take them to the recycling yard for a couple of bucks a piece. :doh:

Here are some pics of my modified Costco basket. I used 3/16" chain, and a short piece of aircraft cable to tie them together at the bottom. Total cost of the upgrades: $28. The basket went from catching very poorly to very well.

IMG_201306114511.jpg

IMG_2013061139281.jpg

IMG_2013061152389.jpg

IMG_2013061158463.jpg