• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Basket comparison DB-5 vs. Westside Black vs Mach Lite

KGroff25

Birdie Member
I've been reading through the different basket threads, but I could use a some personalized advice.

I've been using my uncle's Innova Traveler for 2 months on loan and got spoiled by having something to practice on daily, but he's finally taking it back. I liked the portability of it and got used to setting it up and taking it down quickly whenever I wanted to practice. I even took it to the beach and had a great time playing horse on it. However, I'm not a big fan of how unnatural it looks, the fact that putts with velocity that don't hit dead on won't stick, and that high putts drop in that would normally be rejected. Overall the ability to practice helped my putting, but I believe I actually lost some velocity and use my legs less on my putts because I got used to slowing down to make them catch on the Traveler.

Moving forward I want something that I can at least move around the yard easily so it doesn't become a focal point of the yard (for the consideration of roommates, girlfriend, etc.) Additionally, I'm still at the age where I move about once a year and could end up in an apartment in the next couple years. So if I can quickly break it down and put it in the garage daily that's a big bonus. However, I really want something that I can confidently run putts at with a little more velocity. As far as price range I want to stay around $150.

Looking around I was getting pretty set on either a Mach Lite or Westside Black Basket. However, I found someone local that will sell me a near new Lightning DB-5 for $150 and throw in a free disc.

I understand that I would be giving up quite a bit of portability, but I have a hard time passing up that kind of value (and the idea of having a fairly legit basket.)

My question to you is if you think it's worth giving up the portability to get a DB-5 at that price? Also, for anyone that owns a DB-5 or Westside Black Basket, would it be reasonable to expect to put it up and break it down for practice sessions a few times a week so it can be out of the way in the garage when not in use? Furthermore, would the DB-5 pack up small enough to toss in the trunk or backseat of a Subaru Impreza sedan on road trips? Finally, are there any online stores running discounts at the moment?

Last edited:
I only have the westside black basket but its pretty easy set up and break down no tools required. The ability to move it around is nice and the Inner and outer chains is a plus. That said I havent tried the other baskets mentioned so I hope that helps a little.

All metal baskets take up a lot of real estate when collapsed. They're also kind of a pain to lug around and set up. I would love something that collapsed down more.

I'd pick the Mach Lite out of what's on your list, but (for my money) I would choose the Traveler. I am a fairly light putter overall and have no problems making putts.

Yes, the DB-5 is a better basket and great value, but if you're really going to have set it up and break it down a few times a week as stated in the OP, get a truly portable basket. Ease of use will translate into more use.

My current yard is big enough that I think I could get away with leaving something up and just moving it to the side of the house when not in use. And I guess I could probably sell it again for close to what I'm paying if I move somewhere that I'd need to store it regularly.

Truthfully I was leaning towards the Black Basket anyway until I saw the DB-5 for sale. But I think I've mentally talked myself into the DB-5.

The biggest thing I think I'll miss out on is the ease of breaking it down and throwing it in the car for road trips. From the videos I saw online it seems like that is still doable with the DB-5, just not super easy. Additionally, the 26 lb Black Basket would be easier to move around in a campsite than the 55 lb DB-5.

I'm in the same boat, I can get a DB-5 for 30 dollars less than I get a Mach Lite..but I don't have a garage or backyard/frontyard to put a basket in, so I'll probably overspend on a Mach Lite just because weight/storage issues.

My current yard is big enough that I think I could get away with leaving something up and just moving it to the side of the house when not in use. And I guess I could probably sell it again for close to what I'm paying if I move somewhere that I'd need to store it regularly.

Truthfully I was leaning towards the Black Basket anyway until I saw the DB-5 for sale. But I think I've mentally talked myself into the DB-5.

The biggest thing I think I'll miss out on is the ease of breaking it down and throwing it in the car for road trips. From the videos I saw online it seems like that is still doable with the DB-5, just not super easy. Additionally, the 26 lb Black Basket would be easier to move around in a campsite than the 55 lb DB-5.

Yes the black basket is lighter but the little washers between where it screws together could be easily lost if you are breaking it down frequently. The DB uses thumb screws to attache but they aren't really needed. Yes the black basket is lighter to carry but you can roll the DB around by tilting it or move it in two parts. The DB might be easier to break down and set up but they are both so easy to assembly that it is a wash. They both catch fine but the 'basket' on the Black isn't that great. Both baskets are in my collection and I'd say the DB is the better basket. It is really simple with baskets, the more you spend, the better the basket.

I have a DB-5 and a Mach Lite. If I had to choose between the two of them I would prefer the metallic DB-5. Both of them will still give you spit-outs, but you can't worry about that if you are just using them for practice. Both of them can be very quick to take down and set up. Sometimes the M-Lite takes longer because of the way it collapses...the rods get stuck and I've lost the cotter pins a couple of times. The DB-5 could also use an extra row of chains (easy to accomplish) to make it more effective. Metal will last longer than cloth, especially if you leave them outside in the elements.

I do like the satellite-looking Innova Traveler for camping because they are very quiet, but you can put a towel in the chains of other baskets to lessen the noise if need be.

Haven't seen the Black target.

I ended up going with the DB-5. I'm extremely happy with it in my backyard. It's a huge upgrade over practicing on the traveler. I've taken to leaving it up, and frankly it makes it much easier to step outside for some quick practice when it's permanently set up.

The downside being that it is pretty dang heavy. I have already broken it down and taken it to a friends backyard barbeque no problem. I don't however see myself carrying it out somewhere like a beach where there will be a long walk in.