• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Basket debate..again..

trainhawk2468

I'm sure, in fact I know, that there are a wide variety of opinions on which disc golf basket is "the best". Lord knows we have our opinion.
Has there ever been an official survey? or maybe a survey of the pros as to which they feel is the best? Collecting info to reinforce our basket choice for an upcoming course installation. Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Oh trainhawk2468. Welcome to the the forums. 1 post and you joined in May 2009....lurker... :)

I think if you keep with the name brand, Innova or Discatcher, you'll be happy with your purchase for the new course.

There are a few portable basket preference threads but I am not sure that would help you here.

Good luck!

Last edited:
To me what makes the biggest difference when playing a new course is if I can see the basket. I know one company sells baskets that have wide yellow rings around the chain hanger portion, that to me is why they stand out as the ones to buy. If you can find that quality cheaper then buy those but please add some color to them. :)

To me what makes the biggest difference when playing a new course is if I can see the basket. I know one company sells baskets that have wide yellow rings around the chain hanger portion, that to me is why they stand out as the ones to buy. If you can find that quality cheaper then buy those but please add some color to them. :)

That'd be Innova... certainly not a bad choice.
I'm partial to DGA Mach III's and Discraft Chainstars, but they are harder to spot than Innova Discatchers.

So, maybe ideal basket choice depends on the course?

How about Innova's yellow chastity belt on wooded courses..
DGA or Discraft out in the open?

FWIW - pretty sure Innova's also cost less than DGA or Discraft.

Last edited:
I would think that more holes than not at one time or another will be in the shade. Color them all, which ever brand.

btw, I knew which ones they were but I didn't want to promote one company over another, more one style over another. They're all quality baskets. :)

btw, I knew which ones they were but I didn't want to promote one company over another, more one style over another. They're all quality baskets. :)

Understood. In numerous threads on this site, discs and bags (heck, even cell phones), people ask for specific suggestions, and brand names are thrown out left and right. In a forum such as this, I don't mind plugging companies I think are good.

Anyway, to your point about visibility; it does make you wonder why other manufacturers don't offer color, at least as an option. :confused:

Understood. In numerous threads on this site, discs and bags (heck, even cell phones), people ask for specific suggestions, and brand names are thrown out left and right. In a forum such as this, I don't mind plugging companies I think are good.

Anyway, to your point about visibility; it does make you wonder why other manufacturers don't offer color, at least as an option.
:confused:
It wouldn't take much for them to do.

I hope that the link works. In case you're into their baskets, DGA offers special Blue Sparkle and Orange Blaze finishes on their baskets for a little extra cash.

http://www.discgolf.com/equipment/baskets/basket-finishes.html

I prefer the Innova Discatcher Pro, specifically because of the bright yellow chastity belt, regardless of the course type.

Last edited:
the Arroyo Vortex looks good from a catching standpoint, but I am with others that dig the yellow chastity belt for the visibility. I have a hell of a time spotting other baskets, even if they have one of the circular toppers with a #. Playing a course you don't know well with hard to spot baskets sucks!

Of course, make a Vortex stand out with some florescent paint and I'm happy. :)

Innova DISCatcher Pro basket = easiest to see. If your course is wooded, get these - discussion over.

DGA Mach 3 = best basket to putt at that I've ever used. Expensive, but worth every penny.

DGA Mach 5 = what I would buy because they are almost as good as the Mach 3 and cost $60 each less. That's a savings of $1080 for an 18 hole course. They aren't that much behind in quality if a grand is the difference in "course or no course".

All of the above are approved for Championship level play.There's really no point in getting something that you can't play an A-Tier tournament on.

I haven't had the chance to putt at the Vortex. It's only approved for Standard level play. (7/30/11 PDGA approved targets list). No matter how awesome they may be, why go there if they're not ready for prime time?

I've played on the Titan baskets... spit outs and frustration. IMO... don't go there.

The Innova Discatcher is less expensive than DGA or Discraft baskets, but a guy in my club who is an experience metalworker says he thinks the construction isn't as solid. Maybe that's how they can keep the price a little lower. I've always liked the Mach V myself, but that may be more about aesthetics than quality. Don't get me wrong, the Mach V is definitely high quality, but probably not better than the Mach III or Chainstar. I think Gateway makes a super-durable basket if that suits your fancy.

basket-orange-mach5_170.jpg

This is a powder coated Mach 5

I would get this.

All of the above are approved for Championship level play.There's really no point in getting something that you can't play an A-Tier tournament on.

I've played on the Titan baskets... spit outs and frustration. IMO... don't go there.

I think Gateway makes a super-durable basket if that suits your fancy.

http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/PDGA_approved_targets_073011.pdf
List of approved targets, top white box is the "champion" level baskets.

A lot of courses I play have the Gateway Titan Pro-24 and I think they are awesome. They are built to last a lifetime, that is for sure.
http://gdstour.com/disc-golf-targets/titan-permanent/

http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/PDGA_approved_targets_073011.pdf
List of approved targets, top white box is the "champion" level baskets.

A lot of courses I play have the Gateway Titan Pro-24 and I think they are awesome. They are built to last a lifetime, that is for sure.
http://gdstour.com/disc-golf-targets/titan-permanent/

Ok.. maybe I had a bad day, but the putts were good from my memory. I think a Mach 3 or 5 would've caught them.

As far a built to last... agreed. The chains were so heavy, my slow putts spit out.

THIS! plus to add to their benefits you can get different colors on the band. if you have the money cinsider getting MachV's powdercoated. they catch great and are really easy to see. Look up pics at Cranbury park. the problem with most of the other manufacturers is they are al silver and hard to see, especially in heavy foliage, the discraft baskets have orange tape for the center of the chains but is still really hard to see

Latest posts