• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Basket preference on new course build

For 2015 Worlds, Pittsburgh had four courses used, with four different types of baskets

Knob Hill-Prodigy B-
Catches similarly to a discatcher, plus a few more spit outs. Only been in about a year and holding up really well. The light green color can sometimes be hard to spot when put in places with lots of green trees and bushes around it. Not my favorite...

Moraine- Chainstar B+
Catches the second best on the list, but the color is hard to spot since it is just silver. Really catchy and can be a great addition to any course, the only problem being color. Flags should be a must on hard to see holes.

Slippery Rock- Discatchers A
Yellow band is easy to see. Catches quite well. Nothing you have not heard yet. Good basket, would be happy to see it everywhere.

Deer Lakes- Mach X A+
Best basket, hands down. Great catch, orange baskets are really easy to see. Awesome. My choice 100 times yes.

Arroyo is the only US made basket. Made right here in West Michigan. We have several courses in the area with 2 year + since install and I've only noticed one basket that has any rust or damage. My buddy mentioned it to the Arroyo guys and they drove right out to the course to check it out. I haven't been back to that course since (was about 2 weeks ago) but I'll see if they repair/replace it or what.

Arroyo is the only US made basket. Made right here in West Michigan. We have several courses in the area with 2 year + since install and I've only noticed one basket that has any rust or damage. My buddy mentioned it to the Arroyo guys and they drove right out to the course to check it out. I haven't been back to that course since (was about 2 weeks ago) but I'll see if they repair/replace it or what.

I disagree on the Arroyo...weird spit outs on those compared to Discatchers.

Discatchers. I like the band, but my eyesight isn't great. So the combination of visibility and catching is tops for me.

I'd hazard the X could easily be picked up and brought over to the Park thus saving a couple hundred on shipping.

Otherwise, much appreciated on quality comparisons.

That's true, but we are fortunate that we have leverage (every company wants their baskets in GGP due to the reputation and renown). ;)

Did you see Innova has a new Championship permanent and portable basket just approved? http://www.pdga.com/pdga-documents/technical-standards/pdga-approved-targets

I did! I was actually down there Wednesday for a meeting and got a peek at it. It's a good mid-level price point for a backyard or school course kinda setup. It is less expensive than it looks, which is great. When companies traditionally have made their budget level or practice level baskets, I've always been turned off if they look cheap.

Latest posts