• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

basket stuck in sleeve

blazerico

Eagle Member
I'm not sure what happened, hit with a mower or whatever, but I have a basket stuck in the sleeve. there doesn't appear to be any damage to the basket, but it won't budge. anyone dealt with this before and have a solution that doesn't require digging out the sleeve? I'm thinking of trying to jack it out like you would an old fence post, but I have yet to find a suitable jack. thoughts?

Drill a hole through the post on the basket and stick a bolt through then jack that with any jack. You could also weld a tab on it if you have that capability. If you don't want to do anything permanent, get a 90 degree shelf bracket and attach it to the post with a couple of large hose clamps. Just don't try to jack up using the edge of the basket. Also, have you tried spinning the basket around while lifting on it?

Sounds like it's seized up. Spray with penetrating oil, PB Blaster works great, WD40 is fine too. Try spinning it as Doofenshmirtz suggested. Sometimes it can take a day or more for the oil to penetrate. Just don't lose your cool and start smacking it with a hammer. Good luck.

I'd soak it with some rust buster, Breakfree, PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench, etc. See if that won't help after a long soak before you start making permanent mods.

After that, I'm pretty sure you can budge it with a large pipe wrench and a cheater pipe if necessary. Would take two..one on wrench and another to lift while turning it.

We've tried spinning while lifting, it won't spin, and WD40. PB blaster might be the stuff someone mentioned to me but I couldn't remember the name, so thanks for that.

Did you try a pipe wrench with a cheater pipe? I'd start with a 4 foot pipe...that is some serious torque there. Almost enough to start deforming the pipe. Torch is next best option. And not the small propane cylinder ones either. You'd need to get a good portion of the sleeve pretty hot, but not too hot or it will cook off the galv. You will damage it that way...but at least its out. You can always recoat it with some ZRC cold galv...it seems to be one of the best.

If its rusted in, you are probably looking at a sleeve replacement if its that bad. It could be as simple as something got into the gap between pipe and sleeve.

anyone with a torch would do that first I think... because it always works.

you can get this for pretty cheap
021208080_ld.jpg

I've had plenty of times a torch didn't work. Maybe thousands of times. If the problem is at the center or bottom of the sleeve, a torch won't reach it. If its at the top 1/3 of the sleeve, then the torch has a chance.

I'm not sure what happened, hit with a mower or whatever, but I have a basket stuck in the sleeve. there doesn't appear to be any damage to the basket, but it won't budge. anyone dealt with this before and have a solution that doesn't require digging out the sleeve? I'm thinking of trying to jack it out like you would an old fence post, but I have yet to find a suitable jack. thoughts?

Could be the bypass line or the 7th fetzer valve. Sounds like a job for Gordon Liddy from Ajax.

Attachments

• bypass line.jpg
    bypass line.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 25
Could be the bypass line or the 7th fetzer valve. Sounds like a job for Gordon Liddy from Ajax.

So what you're saying is he needs some pliers and a set of 30-weight ball bearings. It's all ball bearings now a days.

Have you had a hard freeze and wet condition? Could it be frozen at the bottom?

Our ground is very tight and water that goes down the pole doesn't seep away. The bottom part of the receiver/anchor is filled with water. When we had a hard freeze we had trouble pulling out the baskets. I think the water at the bottom froze hard and swelled the pole making it seize. After spinning/shaking/etc, they came loose but not without some muscle. Couple even had ice plugs that stuck in the bottom of the pole.

supposedly, it's been stuck for a few years. I just got the keys this year, so I'm taking it upon myself to get this thing free. Going to try jacking it, then torch it. All of this just to be able to move it straight back, maybe 50ft, to the B pin.

OK, that changes it a little. If its been stuck for years, I'd suspect rust first or even ice deformation first. Soak it overnight with a ton of rust buster, then try everything. If it won't budge, dig it out, split the 'crete and then split the sleeve with a grinder and cutting wheel. Replace sleeve, clean up pole and kill rust, cold galv pole and replace. That is how I'd do it. I run into this sort of thing often.

Latest posts