• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Baskets vs Tee Pads

Baskets or Tee Pads

• Baskets

Votes: 41 47.1%
  • Tee Pads

Votes: 46 52.9%

• Total voters

chevis

flick it
Silver level trusted reviewer
Lets see how they rank.
Which do you value more?

I voted on the basket.

Teepads....if they are awful/unsafe, you can tee from beside them.

Baskets....this is where the disc has to end up. If they are broken/damaged, it can make it difficult to have a good finish. They need to catch the disc....some spit out is okay....but it shouldn't be frequent - and it should be due to a poor throw, not a poorly designed basket.

I think this is why PDGA sets stronger criteria for baskets than they do for teepads. Look at their technical standards page...standards for discs and targets, but not for tee pads.

I say tee pads.

Comparing to "average" for each...

I think awful tee pads (i.e. dangerous) are worse than awful baskets (i.e. missing chains, tilted, etc).

And amazing tee pads (huge, good grip, run off area) are more beneficial than an amazing basket (Mach 7).

Given a course with "meh" tees and baskets, and the option to replace one or the other with top-of-the-line, I am taking the new tee pads.

I voted for tee pads so that I have sure footing. I don't make 30 ft putts regardless of what basket it is

As long as the tee pads are merely adequate, I'm fine with them. No absolute mud pits, and no slicker-than-grease tees, but I'm okay with anything else. None of your other throws are completely flat with perfect grip, so why get so hung up on it for 18 throws? (yes, the tee shot is typically the most powerful throw you'll make on a hole, but oh well)

As usual, the correct answer is "all of the above". I'd rather have a few holes - all with signs, fairways, tees, and baskets - than a bunch of only baskets, signs, fairways, or tee pads.

But, before any of those, a parking lot and bathrooms.

I say pads. I agree with some others, crappy baskets are not dangerous. I can putt on anything. I am old and don't need to risk injury on the pad.

I value baskets more than tees. Without baskets, we're still playing object Frisbee golf. Yeah, I enjoyed that a lot as a kid, but the basket catching our Discs from any direction is truly a special factor in our game.

Yeah, I really want nice tees too, now that I think about it. I guess I see a good tee as icing on the cake, but the basket makes the cake. But! Discs make the cake too. As does good hole design. Our cake is incomplete if missing any of these. Cake is wonderful with icing.

I hereby change my vote to cake.

I've played plenty of enjoyable courses with no tee pads at all. The most essential aspect of the tees, in my opinion, is that the tee area is marked. I'd rather have a decent size concrete or turf tee pad to match the hole's distance, but I can adjust easily if there's no teepad at all. Poor baskets, on the other hand, affect the golf experience more significantly. I vote basket.

I prefer good baskets.
If a course's tees are bad you don't really have to use them. If a course's baskets are bad you are stuck with them.

I'll put it like this:

The difference between the worst backers and the best basket isn't as big as the difference between the worst tees and the best tees.

If the tees pads are merely, decent, improving the baskets makes sense. But if the tees pads aren't level, or just suck, don't worry about the baskets at all... fix the freakin' tees.