• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Beast, Old mold vs. new mold

bettsjc

Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
I want to know if anyone out there knows the difference between the old Innova Beast mold and the new mold.

Any info is welcome, but trying to figure out why the mold would be changed, and what are the flight characteristics of each?
(I think this one might be a good one for Three Putt)

The original mold was more stable. Once the Orc came out, Innova decided the two discs were too close in flight and retooled the Beast to be flippier. That's pretty much it. I know people who get ga-ga over old mold Beasts, but an Orc or Pro Starfire is a pretty good substitute and easier to find.

Old mold rules supreme but the new one is great too. It is just used differently.

The old one is more vintage, and the new one is more modern. ;)

burst of common sense!

Thank you Three Putt for the answer...had heard something along those lines, and needed a confirmation on the subject. Now, if there is only a way to tell the difference when attempting to trade for one...

im pretty sure all are the pearly translucent plastic. some only say 2003 world champ and others have the 2x stamp that's currently on the new mold

There is 1 of the old molds at Roscoe Ewing, way to the left from the tee at hole 15. Old school DX, orange. When I started playing again this year, I had one in my bag that I let my brother who never played before use because I never used it, it was too much for me.

Hindsight, he shouldnt have been using it either but its what I had spare at the time. When I went to but another, I was suprised the had on there that its was understable, then found out they had changed the mold.

IMO the coolest thing about the old mold was it was good in DX, which the Orc is not. They went from having something that's close to the Orc but good in DX to a disc that's close to the Sidewinder. Not a big improvement.

IMO the coolest thing about the old mold was it was good in DX, which the Orc is not. They went from having something that's close to the Orc but good in DX to a disc that's close to the Sidewinder. Not a big improvement.

The DX one I had, the plastic felt more like Millenium plastic than DX does now. I had bought a QJLS at the same time and both it and the Beasts plastic was almost identical.

Of course, since Millenium was made by Innova, maybe it was the same DX plastic, but still, definately diffferent than now. Used to be like Star is now only glossier.

So the concensus is(regarding Champion plastic Beasts)...

All "BS 2003 World Champion" Beasts are the Old Mold,
Some "BS 2x" Beasts are the Old Mold,
All Old Mold Beasts are pearly, translucent...

Which leads me to believe that all New Molds are more Opaque?

The old mold has a curved "x-type" bevel on the rim. The new mold has a flat "L-type" rim configuration. If you don't know what that means the underside of the rim on an old mold beast is more like an orc in that it is curved and the new type is nice and flat.

I have an old mold pro beast that has no BS designation (and a couple pro beasts that are new molds). I think 2x old molds are pretty few and far between. I have around 6 or 7 old mold beasts and love them but strangely enough have only the new mold beast in the bag (my flippiest driver for huge anny's and some rollers).

Old Beast was their best driver ever for combo length and accuracy, even still. Bad move to take it away.

Just found an old mold dx beast today deeeep in the rough on my course, near mint condition probably been there 3-4 years.

Scott beat me to the bevel comment, but I do have a question. Since the old Beast was too Orc-like and the new one is more understable, does the SL=old mold Beast? I rarely see Starfires mentioned or thrown, much less SL's. I really liked the old mold, kinda tough to get ahold of now.

I have a beast that was one of my first discs. It says Pro Line but feels like champion plastic. It is definately more stable than other beasts I have thrown. Is it safe to say it is an old mold?

yes trippinBill you have an old mold.

ATL Scott has the best explanation of beast differences I've seen yet. Garublador also had a great point in that the old mold was awesome in DX.

SLs are more like a beat X-Avenger especially in Pro plastic. the thing about the old mold Beast is that it had significant turn and big fade. the SL has a good bit of turn but no big fade just normal fade. I think the closest thing in production to the old mold Beast is the Classic Inferno. yes I mentioned a QuestAT disc, but hey this is a discussion forum so let's discuss.

Latest posts