• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Beating in a disc... ?

The important thing is that the nose bends downwards from the impacts. No need to scrape the bottom of the disc, that only makes it less comfortable to grip.

So just throw it into the ground a few times with high spike hyzers.

( this is just theory though, i like my discs new, so i never did this on purpouse. )

how about just play a couple casual rounds with it?

Maybe I'm just boring, but that's what I do. Sure, some plastics take longer to season, but so be it - I just play. On certain holes/shots, I've made conscious choices to choose one disc over another if given shot is likely to be a "high impact" shot, but I just play.

Besides, I really don't think this forum is the appropriate place for a bunch of guys to discuss the various ways they choose to beat their discs. :p

Don't fold it in half , I fold mine about every three inches around the whole rim and throw it. Repeat if it's not floppy enough. I like this better because it's easier to control how much it breaks in.

Fold, taco, flex the crap out of it.....all around the rim, both directions. When you have it taco'd, roll the rim back and forth. Do that a few times and see how it flies...keep doing it if it wasn't enough. I find that to be faster and easier than doing a bunch of spikes or tree hits. Gives the flight plate and wing a better workout without scratching up the plastic. Works great for champ and star...wouldn't advise it for lower plastics. Just throw those.

I just throw the disc on every hole on the course. I might play a whole round with my usual discs, but also throw the new one on every hole. That way I can still focus on my score, but beat the hell out of the new disc while I'm at it. It also gives me a chance to see what the new disc will do in different situations. I don't really putt with it, but I'll take the first two (or more) shots of the hole with it until I'm in putting range.

My friend says you can't beat in a disc.. I told him yes you can. He says all you need to do is bend it to beat it in or put it back into it's original place.. He also said everyone on this site agrees with him.. Please tell me I'm smart for telling him he's an idiot and is completely wrong.

^^^Who is it? I can think of several on here I'd be glad to tell they're wrong, just to be obstinate. :p :D

^^^Who is it? I can think of several on here I'd be glad to tell they're wrong, just to be obstinate. :p :D

He just reads forums as a guest. He doesn't have an account.. But he is beyond stupid for saying that right? I was sure bending in a disc doesn't beat it in.. He also says Glide is only based off the dome of the disc..? Is that true.. He thinks the River doesn't have 7 glide because it isn't domey..

I'm not ready to believe you can beat it in just by flexing it, though I think a lot of bending could affect the flexiness of the plastic. I think the plastic has to be "shocked" by the hits it takes.
However, you can definitely "tune" it by bending the rim, though there is much debate as to whether that's legal or not. Not that anyone could tell, as there's so much variety within a mold as to PLH, domeyness, grippiness, and flexibility of plastic.

i've heard of people doing the dryer method. throw it in on low heat with a towel. it should break it in a little bit. i've personally never tried it though.

Easiest way to break in a disc? Just buy a 7/10 from the marketplace. If that doesn't work just do it the old fashion way,use it constantly and wait

I'm not ready to believe you can beat it in just by flexing it, though I think a lot of bending could affect the flexiness of the plastic. I think the plastic has to be "shocked" by the hits it takes.
However, you can definitely "tune" it by bending the rim, though there is much debate as to whether that's legal or not. Not that anyone could tell, as there's so much variety within a mold as to PLH, domeyness, grippiness, and flexibility of plastic.

Have you tried it yet? And what exactly happens to the plastic itself from "shocks"...or bending? I think people have talked about it a lot and I'm not sure anyone really knows, but I suspect it's just a slight stretching of the plastic that does the "breaking in" for us...definitely seems to affect it more than nicks and scuffs. Dings/bending the nose down doesn't really apply (in my experience?) to champ/star, only to base plastics. I'm totally sold on flexing to break in champ/star...it works and it takes a lot less time, but you do have to do it a few times initially and subsequently, and you have to be aggressive with it.

aajpity, I'm thinking your friend is referring to tuning by bending, not breaking in the disc.

I just give new discs to my nephews...DX type takes @ 30 min, star type @ 2 hrs, champ type roughly 3 1/2 hrs...

I usually find a concrete wall somewhere and start hucking full power drives from about 40' away. It does the job efficiently and effectively. You get some major nicks and scuffing, but it works like a charm.

No, he says simply bending the disc. Folding it like a taco is beating it in. Making the disc more overstable. He says every single disc becomes overstable when it beats in.. I told him that isn't truthful at all.. My champ valk is beat in and the disc no longer does an S-curve. It is the straightest driver I have ever thrown.

I tuned this one into a cloverleaf! :clap:

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60960&highlight=cloverleaf

1) Place a towel on a teebox or asphalt
2) Tommie or Thumb the crap out of the disc into the towel covered asphalt.
3) Don't tell anyone
4) Someone find out and stroked you in league or tournament.

Latest posts