• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Beating the cold

How does everybody deal with the weather conditions when its just to cold to go out and play. I'm talking below zero with 20 mph winds. It's just unbearable to go out and play for me personally. I live in a small apartment with my wife and practicing putting with a basket isn't even possible. I'm going through some dg withdrawls here! I try and watch youtube vids of tournament and tips/techniques to gain knowledge to better my game but that just makes me want to play more. What do I do? :doh:

Start buying/selling. It's a nice way to feed the beast and get poor all at the same time.

I wonder if there's a beach volleyball forum somewhere lamenting the same problem.

i played yesterday all day with 3-5 inches of snow and tempature was 12 degrees with probably 20 degree windchill. it was cold. i had thermal underwear on both upper and lower, i had snow pants on my lower and on my upper i had 2 shirts and a hoody. i had on 1 underlayer of socks and then one pair of wigwam wool socks. i had on hiking boots that are waterproof. I had on a carhart hat with facemask that comes down from the hat. I WAS STILL COLD IN THE WIND. it was cold in the wind when it picked up. i try to find the wooded courses to play in this tempature.

however in 4 months or sooner i am making a move down south with my wife. winter will be like in the 50's. headed to charlotte or raleigh.

however in 4 months or sooner i am making a move down south with my wife. winter will be like in the 50's. headed to charlotte or raleigh.

You are mistaken...I live in Concord, 15 minutes outside of Charlotte, and it isn't supposed to get above freezing today (teens is cold for the Charlotte area). On a good day during the winter season temps will get up to high 40/low 50. We do have the occasional mid 50s low 60s days though, but depending on the severity of the season they can be extremely rare. I went to school in the Western part of the state (mountains) where is gets down into single digits this time of year, so 20s and 30s doesn't really bother me too much (until the wind starts blowing, then it sucks no matter what). To be honest, Raleigh is probably colder than Charlotte because it is a little further North, but not much.

You are mistaken...I live in Concord, 15 minutes outside of Charlotte, and it isn't supposed to get above freezing today (teens is cold for the Charlotte area). On a good day during the winter season temps will get up to high 40/low 50. We do have the occasional mid 50s low 60s days though, but depending on the severity of the season they can be extremely rare. I went to school in the Western part of the state (mountains) where is gets down into single digits this time of year, so 20s and 30s doesn't really bother me too much (until the wind starts blowing, then it sucks no matter what). To be honest, Raleigh is probably colder than Charlotte because it is a little further North, but not much.

I'd bet charlotte is more manageable than many other places though =P Winter is probably much short too.

I just switch over to skiing, and throw a round on those few abnormally warm days.

I'd bet charlotte is more manageable than many other places though =P Winter is probably much short too.

I just switch over to skiing, and throw a round on those few abnormally warm days.

I won't disagree, it is manageable with a good jacket or sweatshirt. But, that doesn't mean that the stereotypes that some people have of the South having moderate winters and never getting below 30 are accurate. Winter can be pretty short too, no disagreement there either.

I'm selling a bunch of stuff I don't need, and staying in. Disc golf's not that serious in my book. I have some winter gear, but right now it's like -3° windchill. Don't care how much gear I wear, that just isn't fun in my book. Plus, I usually take my 6 year old with me on casual rounds, to keep him out of my wife's hair, and there is NO way he'd tolerate this stuff.
So, we watch movies, play video games, and ride out this &$#/@ of a winter. Only way I'll play in this is for an Ice Bowl.

The last two winters I've been fairly eager to get out, even in, say, six inches of snow. And haven't minded hunting for discs, etc.

This winter it's been a bit colder, a bit snowier, and I've been a bit busier. I've not yet been out in any substantial amount of snow, and have only played occasionally since it got consistently below freezing. I don't mind the cold but, somehow, hunting around for discs under the snow hasn't sounded like fun, and I've not felt like exploring ribbons, etc. Weak sauce, I know!

I do plan to get out tomorrow morning. And, if I can scrape up a partner, will play our Ice Bowl Feb 1. (As a "mostly solo" player, bring your own partner events are always sort of annoying.)

Tomorrow... looks like it'll be 16 or 18 F, and falling. 20+ mph winds. It's been a while since we've had a big snow fall, but also a while since it's melted. I'll be curious to see what it's like out on the course. Not sure if it'll be three inches everywhere, and drifts in feet, or what.

I don't mind playing in the cold, but the wind and icy footing is a bear, and sometimes keeps me below my average of a round or more a day. However, I'll be playing an Ice Bowl tomorrow (William Harbin course) ONLY because the TD is an awesome guy (Dan, from Disc n Dat) doing a great fundraiser. Supposed to get another few inches of snow (even during the first round), but the morning temperature looks like it'll be about 25 degrees above this morning's minus three.

You are mistaken...I live in Concord, 15 minutes outside of Charlotte, and it isn't supposed to get above freezing today (teens is cold for the Charlotte area). On a good day during the winter season temps will get up to high 40/low 50. We do have the occasional mid 50s low 60s days though, but depending on the severity of the season they can be extremely rare.

*looks at thermometer, reading -2F*

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! That's not winter!;)

I played one hole 3 times today (by the road at a local 9). It was bleepin' cold. Low 50s? I'm wearing shorts. :D. No joke.

I'd kill for 50 degrees right now. Hell, 30 would be nice. High today was 9 degrees with 10-15 mph winds, but it was a gorgeous sunny day so I was out playing all afternoon (2.5 rounds). Best part about it being so cold and dry is that the snow is either powder or rock solid. Nothing was sticking to the discs so I never needed my towel, and I never sank in so walking was pretty easy (as long as I missed the icy patches). Ideal winter conditions, IMO.

Winter is difficult for me to get out and play in, for a variety of reasons. It is 15 miles to my nearest course, and with no 4 wheel drive, this snow every three days shenanigans we have been getting in Indiana makes it nearly impossible for me to get out. Add on top of that work and family, and it is just simpler not to get out.

I have gone to my local park (about 500 ft from my back door) and thrown, or picked a tree and played a bit of an obstacle course, but normally it is just for 15 or 20 minutes because my stupid glasses keep fogging up. Other than that, I spend too much time on here, and I have re-thought my bag way too much, and bought more plastic than I should... so apparently the normal winter activities for DGCR lol

I just moved South (about 40 years ago), our average winter highs are in the 60's and we really don't see much snow. You can play pretty much year round but the heat in the summer can be an issue. It's also great if you play ball golf and/or have a Harley!

(If you make it to S TX and like to ride the Three Twisted Sisters is worth your time)

As you can all see I live in North TX and by my standards it does get cold from time to time.. That being said.. I admire all of you that go play in temps below 20.. and in snow. :clap: The other morning it was about 18 with wind chill when my GF said let's go play all day.. All I had to do was read a few posts from you guys up north and I was like if they can do that there I can definately go out when 18 is warmer than what they face. Ya'll are an inspiration :thmbup:

Latest posts