• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Beaver Ranch/Conifer Park might not be there tomorrow

Yes it is true that smokers DID NOT start the fire near BR. It is also true that smokers are responsible for leaving cig butts all over the ground at BR. Do you think that ALL of the 100's of cig butts on the ground were adequately extinguished B-4 they were carelessly thrown down? Why is it OK to throw a potential fire hazard, and very gross butt (trash) on the ground for someone else to pick up? Smokers, Please do not let your addiction over-ride common sense, course rules, the law, and courtesy. Please Put your butts (trash) in your DG bag, be very cautious with your firestick, and please DO NOT smoke if there is a rule against it. If you don't like the rule - simply find another DG course to play. Thank you in advance for your respect for our course and it's rules, extreme caution, and consideration of others. P22

^^^^this

Here might be a better suggestion yet for disc golfers while this particular fire is still being attended to. Don't go up there. You're just getting in the way.

Obviously common sense applies here, but....

It was the Forestry Department that started those fires and killed those people.

Not smokers.
Yeah, but a smoker could start the next one.

Latest I heard is 45% contained and they hope to have it extinguished by Sunday. Winds are supposed to pick up to where they were Monday when this thing went out of control. Here's to a speedy recovery for that area. I can't wait to go find my 2x aced disc I lost right before the first big snow.

So could a baby, or a puppy, or a nun...

Are you serious? I mean do you honestly know how this kind of response makes you sound? You have a man who literally has his whole life within a few miles of the blaze and he simply asks people to be respectful enough not to throw cigarettes on the ground in a burn zone, which should be common sense any way, and you come back with a baby, puppy, and nun?

It's crass and crappy comments and mindsets like that which gets courses shut down and disc golfers stereotyped. Please, for future reference - if you decide to push that sort of thing on people who could possibly lose everything and sound like a complete incentive moron doing it - then go post somewhere else.

Are you serious? I mean do you honestly know how this kind of response makes you sound? You have a man who literally has his whole life within a few miles of the blaze and he simply asks people to be respectful enough not to throw cigarettes on the ground in a burn zone, which should be common sense any way, and you come back with a baby, puppy, and nun?

It's crass and crappy comments and mindsets like that which gets courses shut down and disc golfers stereotyped. Please, for future reference - if you decide to push that sort of thing on people who could possibly lose everything and sound like a complete incentive moron doing it - then go post somewhere else.

A: I know Paulie and my prayers are obviously with him. My response wasn't directed at him at all.

B: I said common sense applies and I don't smoke at Conifer or Phantom Falls. When I do smoke, my butts all get stripped and put in my pocket. I regularly get made fun of for it, but I like a clean course as much as anyone else.

I just get sick of people talking about smokers like they're trash. This fire had NOTHING to do with a smoker, but you wouldn't know it reading this thread.

Sorry to see this happen at all. I believe there are three dead from the fires, but the news we're getting is good as far as containing the blaze. It's supposed to be really windy on Sunday, so they're hoping to get as much done as they can before then. It looks like the courses will be fine.

We need rain bad. There's really none in the forecast, and Colorado just had a record March with only a trace of precipitation all month. It's a tinder box here.

I just get sick of people talking about smokers like they're trash. This fire had NOTHING to do with a smoker, but you wouldn't know it reading this thread.

We need rain bad. There's really none in the forecast, and Colorado just had a record March with only a trace of precipitation all month. It's a tinder box here.

Most the people I play with are smokers and most are very considerate about stripping their butts and putting them in their pockets.. I know I did it for years. It's a crappy habit and it's still likely to get you stereotyped, except by me, I know you. :)

As for rain, this could be a very bad year. There are already Hayman-type forecasts for the year and I lived through that nightmare. I agree completely with controlled burns, and just because one flared back up a week after it was set (this is the most recent theory) does not mean that we should abandon them. The reason a lot of these fires blow up into mass conflagrations is because we have been so good at putting out any fire that started for the last hundred years, this leaves a huge amount of deadfall and needles etc as fuel for when they do start to consume. We have also done our best to not allow any kind of logging management, and what logging operations we have allowed left huge piles of limbs laying around. Combined with Spring weather patterns of wind, a record dry and warm March it is actually kind of surprising we have only had this one serious fire. With the last few very mild winters we have also had a ton of beetle kill trees, and they say that didn't contribute I can't see how having lots of standing dead trees could do anything but help a fire. It is a tragedy that 2 people have died and 1 is missing (last report I saw), these are the first civilian deaths do to wildfire in over a decade in this state. No one is sure why the elderly couple did not leave, but people cannot be forced from their houses (just the way it is here, they actually could have chosen to stay). I think we should all do our part in trying to not have any more, and maybe when and if we do get some water around here, be supportive of some of the forest management practices. In the wilderness areas they now just let forest fires burn, this has led to some giant moonscapes that are coming back. So if you smoke anything, please make sure your ash is out completely, this doesn't apply just to being in the mountains. And please don't throw your cigarettes out the window, we have a ton of grass fires that are always linked to this as they seem to start next to the highways. I know a lot of very conscientious smokers, but I have seen a lot that aren't. Those are the ones that give smokers a bad reputation and there is nothing a few good ones are ever going to do to fix it. Just a fact of life.

BEAVER IS OPEN AGAIN! at least for today, if the wind kicks up and the fire spreads it will close again. here is what I got off the FFDGC facebook page:

"BR is back open. It may have to close if the fire flares up with the high winds that are forecasted Saturday/Sunday.

To ensure the park/course is open before planning on going to the course please do the following:

1. Please call the Beaver Ranch main office at 303.838.3705
2. If no one answers you can check this website and find 285 and Foxton Rd. and see if there is a roadblock at 285. If there is, BR is certainly closed:

Also, smoking is not permitted on the premises at all at this time. There is a county-wide ban on all open flames, including cigarettes and lighters. Not in the parking lots, not on the course."

Last edited:

Latest posts