• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Beginner Basics Handout

Would you like an easy to get Beginner's Guide

• Total voters
So far I actually like the "comic book" idea but for the sake of time accuracy and better design I would not draw but use photography to illustrate the points.

In case anyone is wondering I am a real designer and know a couple of others willing to help me out (along with technical writers and such).

Lithicon, as far as sales and promotions go I desire to have something small explaining most of the main companies (Discraft, Innova, Lat 64, Gateway) but also don't mind if nothing is mentioned about them. I would like an explanation on plastic though as I think everyone's first discs should be basic plastic (which would hopefully cause them to come back and buy nicer discs later). My hope is that this will increase sales if only just a little bit as more people will feel encouraged to play and maybe be a bit more serious (the main reason being I want people to feel more confident in the game so they don't just shy away from it).

Oh, you're right. Everyone goes in the store to buy a Boss, then a Groove. Few weeks later a Katana, and then Aviar because they seen everyone carrying them. Well informed on their intents and purposes, they go FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR!

I hate watching people chuck a nuke 80 feet all the way to the basket. I want people to buy slower discs and move up which = more sales. Ideally.

Make it local. List courses in the area that are good for beginners. Shorter holes, no water, not a lot of rough.

That wouldn't really be doable with a pamphlet as they would have to be printed for specific areas then. However I desire to leave them with some resources that they can check out themselves online (aka dgcoursereview.com where they can find courses themselves :hfive: )

How bout a beginners guide forum section? That way everyone can repeat the same threads over and over there.

I'm not directing this toward the companies sales. The dealers buy stock, then have to sell it. This doesn't affect the main company till the dealer is no longer buying stock from them. So noobs coming in buying on one of every thing they have increases their sales. They won't push these out the doors with them generally because this hinders sales for individual dealers. The more informed they are, the less plastic they'll likely buy. They'd buy what's good and leave all the high priced over exaggerated poop on the shelf and throw lower grade fairway drivers for the majority of their DG career. Which is definitely not something these dealers will see as a good thing.

But, I commend you on your effort. I'm not saying these people shouldn't be generally informed as this sport lacks a good base. It's just that this won't be well placed in the places they need to be; in the store along side the highly exaggerated flight charts provided by the main company. Claiming that everything they release is the best, and that it's the only disc you'll need. (20+ molds all saying they're the best... **** I need them all!) Every misinformed purchase someone makes almost ensures they come back to make yet another misinformed purchase. Thus is the cycle until the manufacturers take charge and the organization chose to lead these manufacturers; chooses to make them promote a better base for the beginners to learn from.

I applaud the thought/effort, but I feel players will continue to try to huck fast, overstable plastic until they want to compete. Look at dc- they have possibly the most noob friendly rating system, do you see noobs throwing an xpress and x xl? Nope, they would rather "brag" that their armspped is too great for those girly discs and complain that thier force doesn't go straight.

Latest posts