• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Beginner Disc

ejvogie

Lifer
Premium Member
I'm looking to buy discs for my kids, 5yo boy and 8yo girl. I only want to buy them 1 disc each to start with. I was looking at an ultralight (120 class) Shark (4,4,0,2), but want the discs to go straight for them, so then I was looking at a Polecat (1,3,0,0) which is slower but has no fade. Any suggestions?

I picked up a couple EDGE Polecats from Quonset Hut for my 3 and 5-yr old niece and nephew. 102-106g discs. Didn't try throwing them myself.

ERic

Nice thing about the Coyote and Shark is that they are both good multi purpose discs. They can be driven with or putted with.

I've ditched the Polecat in favor of the 130 class Shark. Anyone out there wanna try and change my mind? :D

I play a lot with kids at work, many of them are very young. I have had good luck with lightweight mid-range discs. As noted above, the Shark is good, as is the Ace.

I would've said that ultralight polecat would be great for your 5yo, And the ultralight shark would be good for your 8yo. Let them get their feet wet to see if they like it and if they keep up with it, your
5yo would eventually fit in with the ultralight mids, while your 8yo could likely move up to 150g mids or fairway drivers... Hope this turns out to be a quality activity for you and your family!

My two youngest (5 and 7) can throw 170 Aviar P&A's as far and more accurately than anything else they've ever thrown and they've thrown many, many other lightweight drivers and midrange discs. My 9 year old preferrs her pink 150g Roc. She can throw it dead straight 150' on a football field.

I'm looking to buy discs for my kids, 5yo boy and 8yo girl. I only want to buy them 1 disc each to start with. I was looking at an ultralight (120 class) Shark (4,4,0,2), but want the discs to go straight for them, so then I was looking at a Polecat (1,3,0,0) which is slower but has no fade. Any suggestions?

I think the Shark is a great suggestion. 150g

i think it's great that so many people play DG with their kids! i have 2 daughters (10 & 7) that are just starting to take interest in learning how to throw, and a son that will be 2 later this month who loves his mini, and knows exactly what the portable basket in the backyard is for.

i also have 2 nephews (12 & 9) who are starting to play. the youngest nephew has a better forehand than i do.

i'll agree with the lightweight shark, seems to be a very versatile disc.

Light shark is great, as are a lot of the Gateway discs. Apaches/Sabres/Elements/Wizards, etc, are made in stupid light plastics. I've got Wizards down to 105g.

I'm not sure how light the Assassins go, but a ~130g Assassin could be awesome. Or a Wizard around 120-130g.

I'm also a huge fan of the SuperHero discs -- more like an old school mold, but in champion plastic. They are all 130g and fly great. Touch discs, but so easy to throw.

Being that I myself started this great game myself as a junior, & I am now a young pro. I wanna tell you what no other player of any skill level helped me with. Buy your kids light-Rocs, goblins. (from innova) or big bead aviars if you are gonna put the time into teaching them. Make sure they have the correct form seriously this is the most important points when growing into your power! It will get them off to a great start for ultimate discs, disc golf discs, or if they just wanna build confidence. Seriously, I started in with frisbees at 10 years old and regret all the advice most golfers gave to me and my parents. I learned the hard way. Good luck!!!

I'm a little late to this conversation but I've done a clinic or two with kids and have found that the Innova Sonic @130 is a great disc for kids. I can also double as a catch disc. It's based on the Hero 235 disc a popular dogdisc. Easy to throw about as understable as a disc can get.

Light shark is great, as are a lot of the Gateway discs. Apaches/Sabres/Elements/Wizards, etc, are made in stupid light plastics. I've got Wizards down to 105g.

I'm not sure how light the Assassins go, but a ~130g Assassin could be awesome. Or a Wizard around 120-130g.

That's what I was thinking too.

Had my son out for the first time yesterday. He just turned 9 and weighs in at a microscopic 56#. I had him using a cobra 130 and eagle 148. For putts he used a birdie 130. He really hasn't figured it out yet(much like me), but at the par 3 200'+ 17th at Wolfe Woods, his 4th shot was a 65' hyzer and he drained it! Go figure.

I'm suprised no one has suggested 150 Archangel's. Great beginer disc for less powerfull players. As stated before the shark and ace would both be great discs for kids.

Latest posts