• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Beginner Putting

attik34

Birdie Member
I've noticed that unless I'm very much trying to prevent this...the majority of my puts regardless of what style I'm messing with have some hyzer too them. Is this normal. It seems like I have zero pop when i flatten things out. Tips, suggestions?

I main do kinda a spin putt going from my chest forward. I tried the swing putt thing Nikko does. I'm convince that its all smoke and mirrors cuz it makes zero sense how he is getting any outward pop like that.

Also, I know putting is all about confidence and practice. That being said, I don't really know what I "should" be making. Is there anything that I should have as a beginning goal? 50% 20 ft (arbitrary number there just example)? I know I read some people posts and I'm like, wow...a long ways from that. Just wondering if there's a good barometer to shoot for or w/e.

My putting didn't improve until I bought a portable basket. Once I got that, I started at 10' and spent 15 minutes at a time just putting one disc, grabbing it out, going to another point on the 10' circle and putting again. Once you can just start to zone out and let your subconscious take over, then move back one foot. Spend the next day putting from 11', for 15 minutes, use only one disc, and do that till you can zone out. Move back another foot, etc.

What this does is trick your mind. you start close and get lots of easy chain slams. Then you move out so slowly that you never ever expect not to hit chains. It just happens automatically. Pretty soon, you're banging 30' ers.

DH

I remember when I first started to get serious about disc golf, and I had some similar issues. I typically release nearly all of my putts with some hyzer unless there is a cross-wind that makes me want an anhyzer putt. Putting really is a monster of just putting in tons of practice to get that muscle memory built up as well as the small muscles that putting uses strengthened so that you can retain accuracy from greater distances. I would say to just make sure to put in lots of reps on the practice basket in various conditions. Also, make sure that when putting in lots of reps that you treat each putt seriously, otherwise you can burn in bad habits. A couple "games" that can help with putting practice is to make an around the world type game out of putting or by playing Perfect Putt 360.

Setting goals for what you want to accomplish each week helps also. Perfect Putt 360 can help be a good diagnostic as to how much improvement you're making in your putting from various distances.

I've noticed that unless I'm very much trying to prevent this...the majority of my puts regardless of what style I'm messing with have some hyzer too them. Is this normal. It seems like I have zero pop when i flatten things out. Tips, suggestions?

I main do kinda a spin putt going from my chest forward. I tried the swing putt thing Nikko does. I'm convince that its all smoke and mirrors cuz it makes zero sense how he is getting any outward pop like that.

Also, I know putting is all about confidence and practice. That being said, I don't really know what I "should" be making. Is there anything that I should have as a beginning goal? 50% 20 ft (arbitrary number there just example)? I know I read some people posts and I'm like, wow...a long ways from that. Just wondering if there's a good barometer to shoot for or w/e.

All you want to see is improvement. Don't worry what anyone else can do or not do, just make yourself better. For putting that means practice (at least for mere mortals. Putting Gods have their own rules).

A hyzer putt is fine. Baskets are flawed catching devices anyway so use any style that gives you a better chance of hitting the post. Unless you have a great wrist like Nikko's then you can't putt like Nikko but there are no style points on the scorecard so just find a way that works for you.

On the internet players can throw it over the moon and hit every putt in screaming winds. Take all that with a lump of salt. I have played in the Pros for years and from what I see if you can make most putts within 25 feet you can be successful in tournaments.

My putting didn't improve until I bought a portable basket. Once I got that, I started at 10' and spent 15 minutes at a time just putting one disc, grabbing it out, going to another point on the 10' circle and putting again. Once you can just start to zone out and let your subconscious take over, then move back one foot. Spend the next day putting from 11', for 15 minutes, use only one disc, and do that till you can zone out. Move back another foot, etc.

What this does is trick your mind. you start close and get lots of easy chain slams. Then you move out so slowly that you never ever expect not to hit chains. It just happens automatically. Pretty soon, you're banging 30' ers.

DH

I would agree with this, except I would use two putters. Gives you a chance to correct for wind or something else without leaving your spot

My putts (if at a distance >20 feet) have hyzered since I began playing. I just adjusted my throws to account for the hyzer. I learned to putt with a Vibram VP which is an overstable putter, so this may have had something to do with the hyer in my putting.

Yeah Nikkos style isn't what you want to emmulate early on. It takes the perfect combination of pendulum action and wrist pop.
Climo always has hyzer on his putts but he also has very little spin.

here's a guy that has pretty good luck putting with hyzer:

Watching Dave Feldberg's putting clinics helped me immensely. What's nice about this, depending on how you're missing, you can typically diagnose and fix it easily.

Yeah Nikkos style isn't what you want to emmulate early on. It takes the perfect combination of pendulum action and wrist pop.
Climo always has hyzer on his putts but he also has very little spin.

All I can say is what has NOT been working for me putting.

I watched a lot of videos of Dave Feldberg putting, and he kept emphasizing no wrist action. So for many hours I practiced with zero wrist action, and I got to be deadly accurate... inside of 20'.

But outside 20', because it required more shoulder strength, I would have to make a longer swing of the arm, or a faster than normal pace, and it was throwing me off. Out to 30', and it was everything I had to get it to the basket. Now outside the circle, I could step putt and get it there quite easily, but between 20'-30', I was terrible.

Then watching both him and Nikko and Ken, I noticed they did add a little snap of the wrist when they got out in that range, which ticked me off, because I had practiced so hard to not do that. :(

Still, I understand the concept behind it, because with less moving parts there is less that can go wrong, but it has really messed me up so far, I think I putt worse than I ever have right now. :(

After two years of playing, my putting has improved the most. I've gone back and forth from spin to push and back to spin because that works best for me now. Here's list of things that really helped me:

Having your own basket to practice on works wonders. 15-20min at a time when you can fit it in. Any more and you get tired and start missing a lot, which ruins confidence.

While many people who start playing disc golf have thrown discs before, putting is the most unique thing (movement wise) in this sport. If you're spin putting, your putting muscles (shoulder, wrist, forearm) have no frame of reference of muscle memory or strength when you start. I remember playing my first tourney last summer and watching guys lasering spin putts in from 20-25' and mine were flimsy and hyzering out. Less than a year and a lot of practice later and I'm now lasering putts. You just have to practice a lot.

Push putting is even a stranger feeling. Nikko push putts and only uses his fingers to spin (there's a new instructional video with Feldberg and Nikko giving a clinic explaining this). I really practiced push putting for a while, but the combination of the fact that A) it does not work when it's windy and B) my spin putting has gotten so much better that I'm sticking to spin.

Make sure you try a lot of putters. How comfortable they feel in your hand is as important as how they fly for you. I've gone from a Dart to a Warlock and now and Aviar. I also distance putt (> 30ft) with a different putter because it seems to work better.

Once you get the basic technique, confidence is king. Always practice a bunch of short putts (10-15') before starting a round.

Everyone's form is different, so don't get weird if yours is different. Especially if it works.

Latest posts