• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Beginner trying to learn better form

icorey

I started playing disc golf back in June and I started off throwing RHFH. I've become really interested in the sport and I've been trying to throw better, but I'm too inconsitent FH, so I started trying to throw RHBH. Until now, I've been trying to lead with my arm and just keep my shoulders level and I could get around 220'-250' for a drive.

I've been watching more videos and trying to emulate what I see in these videos.
  1. I'm trying to start off with my arm back and facing away from where I'm throwing. My fingers are on the rim of the disc, thumb on top, and my wrist starts straight, not bent.
  2. Then I try to lead with my hips and let my body's rotation pull my arm through.
  3. I try to keep my disc close to my chest
  4. I release ... well, I'm not sure, I release when it feels right. Maybe with the disc a foot and a half in front of my chest and a little to my left?
  5. I try to finish with my weight on my front/right foot and then follow through so I have to take another step with my left foot.
  6. I'm trying to throw while standing still for now.

I started off doing okay. I noticed that most of my throws were going high, so I started trying to throw down a little and I was doing better, pretty straight and about 240'. I then tried adding a run-up but every disc went really short, very high, and to the left. I went back to standing still and about twenty discs in a row went about 150' and then hard to the left.

Any idea on what I might be doing wrong or what I should concentrate on next time? I'd apreciate any help. I looked through this thread and maybe I'm pulling my arm too much in the beginning or not enough at the end? Not sure, I would have to go throw some more to confirm that. FYI, I'm throwing a 169-g Beast and a 173-g Avenger.

Thanks, I didn't see that. I'll have to take my camera to the park tomorrow if I wake up early enough.

I don't think I'm actively letting go of the disc. The pad of my index finger is still burning from the disc coming out of my hand.

The best advice I give beginning players I play a round with is to concentrate on form and accuracy.

Disc Golf is no different in that muscle memory will dictate how well you throw. If you learn with bad habits now it will be twice as hard to fix them later.

Now you should be trying to hit your line. Practice in a open field throwing hyzers, anhyzers, flex throws and hyzer rolls. Don't worry about distance. At this point in your game increasing power will increase the number of mistakes that can creep in to your throw. By learning the correct way throwing with less power you body will learn the proper mechanics that control the flight of the disc. Adding power after you learn control will increase distance without loss of control.

I always tell new players that the goal for a round is to shoot bogey golf. That is a score of +18. It's not a bad score for a first timer. It sounds bad collectively but it's only 1 more per hole than a good AM would shoot. If you shoot less than +18 you beat your goal.

Eventually you will start hitting more & more pars as your form and accuracy gets better. Then you can change your goal to shoot a +9.

Before you know it you are going to start to add a little power to those holes you are just short of and hitting a birdie every now and then and again you can change your goal to shoot a par round.

If you can try to find a good local that can help you with the basics. Find members of the local club and join in.

"Don't worry about distance. At this point in your game increasing power will increase the number of mistakes that can creep in to your throw. By learning the correct way throwing with less power you body will learn the proper mechanics that control the flight of the disc. Adding power after you learn control will increase distance without loss of control."

^^^ This should be written on the back of every disc starter pack. Probably the most effective tip for almost all beginners. And think about moving your arm smoothly, not fast. When you jerk your arm fast, errant throws increase drastically. Errant throws cause frustration. Frustration causes apathy about your form. Apathy about your form causes more errant throws. It's a slippery slope.

some good advice ive got from other players and one pro is to stay loose and smooth. If your throwing FH, try to get more tourqe on the disc. it sounds like your doing what i did when i first started too. i would more or less "toss" the disc versus putting more spin on it. the more spin the disc has on it, the longer it will fight to stay in the air. And like the above post says, stay positive. this is a frusterating sport at times.

some good advice ive got from other players and one pro is to stay loose and smooth. If your throwing FH, try to get more tourqe on the disc. it sounds like your doing what i did when i first started too. i would more or less "toss" the disc versus putting more spin on it. the more spin the disc has on it, the longer it will fight to stay in the air. And like the above post says, stay positive. this is a frusterating sport at times.
Sorry meant BH. sorry for double post. :wall:

one great tip to help with the feel of how your arms and body should swing and throw starting from the ground up is to standstill with your arms at the side and turn your body like you would throwing a disc but leave your arms completely limp- your arm should almost mimic exactly how it feels to not to "strong arm" the disc but let it snap out through the momentum from your body by staying loose. Now add some timing and a nice hit at the end and you should have a solid backhand to improve on. Timing will just take practice and don't try to be too fast or strong. Nice slow run-ups to start and majority of the acceleration at the end of your throw. You are trying to throw out the opposite side of the disc which is being gripped as fast as possible.

Last edited:
and throw your mids/putters as MUCH as possible. 300+ holes are reachable with a putter and mid much easier than a distance driver.

and throw your mids/putters as MUCH as possible. 300+ holes are reachable with a putter and mid much easier than a distance driver.

Just for clarification...you're saying that 300+ foot holes are easier to reach with a mid/putter than a driver? Or there are over 300 holes that are easier to reach with a mid/putter?

Just for clarification...you're saying that 300+ foot holes are easier to reach with a mid/putter than a driver? Or there are over 300 holes that are easier to reach with a mid/putter?

lol well.. BOTH due to so many holes being shorter tons of rec. courses here in MN you could show up to most with a putter and mid. But yes, also in the sense that it is much easier at first to control those discs and make them hit the lines you want consistently. I started throwing the big fast drivers like most clueless beginners and now throw my putter/mids more than any other discs and can't wait to get a ION vs any other driver out. You can't look at discs like they each hold a certain amount of distance, even though SOME will go further than others most people starting out or even those who have been playing for some time cannot drive any further or more accurate with their fast big drivers.

Latest posts