• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Benches

Bager45

Bogey Member
im going to be making about 3-5 benches for my private course and i was wondering if someone had any blueprints or an idea on how to mass produce them fairly quick. they need to be wood but it is still in the works and im just trying to get some ideas together along with my own.

the easiest way to go about it is to buy some treated 2x10s. think about what height you want the bench to stick out of the ground and then add 2ft to that. cut two pieces at that length and one for the length of the bench.

then dig yourself some 2' holes and stick the two base 2x10 pieces in to the ground and then lay your bench piece on top and make sure it's level. when you get it level fill the dirt back in on your bases, if you want to be permanent you can concrete it in but i don't recommend that unless you're worried about serious water erosion. then nail down your bench board on to your bases going down from the top at a slight angle so you're not going straight in to the wood. i'd put it in at least two but four would plenty on each side.

for better wood protection you might want to paint or stain them before hand as well.

if you want an even more steady base support get 4x4 posts.

Home Depot is selling raw, unfinished Adirondack chairs for $36 a piece (yesterday in Garland, TX). If they have them in your area, it's difficult to make them that cheaply.

Go to your local machine shop, fabrication shop, farm implementation dealer etc. anywhere that ships using large heavy duty pallets. These are often thrown away or given to employees, are made out of good lumber. we basically make the benches on the fly to fit the lumber we have. Free,100% recycled product.

As CHEAP, and, GREEN as it gets...

Here's what I've been doing...
Using the downed/dead trees from the course itself.
Split a piece with a Chainsaw right down the middle however long you want the bench to be.
You'll need a new chain, or, at least a good sharp one to make the long straight cuts.
You're getting 2 bench tops for every piece you split
Cut the support pieces however tall you want them to be.
Cut a V-notch in the top of both upright supports.
Set one of the split bench top pieces in the V-Notch, and there you have it.
You can anchor the bench seat in place if you want to, but, you don't need to..
ENJOY :clap:

IMAG0454-a.jpg

^^^Like those, and they last 10-20 years. New's suggestion is also good-less labor intensive, but a bit of cash involved.
By the way, that looks like a beautiful hole. ^:thmbup:

Should have said...
Number 1 long tee
McNaughton Park
Pekin, IL.
They call it "McNasty" for a reason...
Get off the fairways and the rough will punish you...

Last edited:
Nice bench, nicer hole

Here's what I've been doing...
Using the downed/dead trees from the course itself.
Split a piece with a Chainsaw right down the middle however long you want the bench to be.
You'll need a new chain, or, at least a good sharp one to make the long straight cuts.
You're getting 2 bench tops for every piece you split
Cut the support pieces however tall you want them to be.
Cut a V-notch in the top of both upright supports.
Set one of the split bench top pieces in the V-Notch, and there you have it.
You can anchor the bench seat in place if you want to, but, you don't need to..
ENJOY :clap:

IMAG0454-a.jpg

R-Pro Boss all the way!
What? This thread's about benhes, not the the HoD? :confused: :eek:

Like the bench, but it might be tough to get that many felled trees with sufficient diameter to do this, also requires chainsaw (not everyone has one).

New's idea seems fairly simple and efficient, but I suggest a design that allows for drainage. Even if you aren't playing in the rain, I've seen benches hold water so they were pretty much unusable most of the morning after a decent rain. Maybe you cut a couple of drainage slots in the bench top, or even mount it at a 5 degree angle or so from being perfectly square... enough to help water drain off, but not so much that it's uncomfortable.

I also like those Mortise & Tennon chairs, but think I'd make the mortise wider and remove less material from the "rear leg" of the chair, for a stronger design. I love disgustingly simple, highly functional designs. :thmbup:

Last edited:
Two simple and effective ideas. Especially the split log bench for its simplicity and the use of materials found in the course. Hocking Technical College has smaller versions of the split log benches that work great and add character to the course.

I also like those Mortise & Tennon chairs, but think I'd make the mortise wider and remove less material from the "rear leg" of the chair, for a stronger design. I love disgustingly simple, highly functional designs. :thmbup:

That was just the first decent pic I pulled up on google. I've usually seen them made with a slotted mortise instead of the way that site showed it. Slot the mortise vertically so the whole seat board will fit, then it can be rotated horizontally. Might be simpler/faster to do it the way that blog pic shows, and plenty strong really. A little beveling of the square edges and they get comfy.

A couple examples of recycled pallet benches:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• P1020773.jpg
    P1020773.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 324
  • P1030142_edited-1.jpg
    P1030142_edited-1.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 306
For those using logs for support---

How do you keep them from rotting or insect infestations?

We did this at Stoney Hill and they only lasted a couple of years.

Latest posts