• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best DG in the Country (2017 Edition)

Interesting tactics . . . I know facts are hard things to understand, let alone master, and you have illustrated why the failure to understand what you are doing can lead to false confidence that your formula, rooted in the misunderstanding, can lead to a false sense of righteousness. As you might imagine, I suspect that your righteousness is somewhat less than genuine.

You are using a mean based formula to putatively describe "super high quality." For example, if an area has three different 5.0 rated courses and three different 2.0 rated courses, it's average is going to be 3.5 (73.5 score). If another area has 6 3.75 rated courses, it will have a higher average and higher score (84.35) under your method. While it is debatable which area has the best disc golf courses, on average, there is little question which area has the most "super high quality" disc golf courses.

Claiming that a 2.5 rating courses aren't a part of your score is perhaps the most blatant indicator that maybe math is a little bit harder than you might have imagined. Every course is part of the course number multiplier (sum) no matter how bad it is. Squaring the average appears to do nothing more than inflate the totals to provide the appearance of separation. Eliminating the need to square the average would result in the same ranking albeit with different scores.

Sum and distance have nothing to do with quality. That's 2/3 of what you claim your formula to be (leaving out the apparently arbitrary assignment of overlapping courses to one area or another, also not quality related). The other third is an average with a meaningless exponent. An average that includes, just like the multiplier, every bad course, every mediocre course and every good one, and, yes, every 2.5 rated one - not just "super high quality" ones. Your formula doesn't describe a ranking of "super high quality" disc golf. It only identifies what area has the highest average ranking times the most courses not shared with another area unless its the area you want the claim the shared one.

Whatever your motives for creating your formula, they don't appear to be what you say they are any more than you formula describes what you claim it does. If you want to fix the formula, then start by only counting courses with a minimum rating that you think makes up the lowest rating for "super high quality." And get rid of the square, it does nothing but add a meaningless step that doesn't change the ranking.

You may think my math skills are bad but I promise you that your reading skills are worst.

The only courses used in this were those with a rating of 3 or higher. There are ZERO courses in any part of this with a rating less than 3. So that thing you suggested I do is actually exactly what my sister did with the original formula.

There IS a baseline. As I already pointed out multiple times to you but here I am pointing it out again.

Also only 18 hole courses were used so your 9 hole comment also sounds like gibberish. You're one of those I read the headline but none of the article but I know all about it geniuses.

Now let's talk about math. If you look at just the sum and have an area with three courses rated 3 (the baseline) and another with two courses rated 4 and 5 the sum alone says these are equal but clearly the second one has more quality while the previous has more quantity.

By adding in the average of qualifying courses (those rated higher than 3 and having at least 18 holes) you hash out which has more quality. Now the first area has a score of 9 • 3 = 27. While the latter has 9 • 4.5 = 40.5. Now the area with more quality is ranked higher.

But squaring does nothing you say....

Now let's say there is an area with four courses all 3.25, then the original latter area with a 5 and a 4.

The sum of the first is 13 with an average of 3.25. If you just multiply you get 13 • 3.25 = 42.25. This would rank the area with more but less quality courses above the other area with a score of just 40.25.

Now square the averages. 13 • 10.5265 = 137.3125.

9 • 20.25 = 182.25

By squaring the average the area with less but higher quality jumps the area with twice as many courses but less quality.

Now explain to me how squaring does absolutely nothing to the ranking. Explain to me how all these bad 2.5 courses are screwing up the ranking. I'll pop my popcorn.

Do you still live in Fu**** Va*ina?

Fuquay Varina
:p

No I moved to Cary, land of the snobs.

The first step in making a statistic is defining the question you are trying to answer. I don't mean specifying the formula, but what actions will be affected by the answer?

I think it's pretty clear that the original question she was asking is "What is the best place to live (the X) if you wanted to have a high quantity of high quality disc golf courses within a certain distance?"

If you skip that step, everyone can point out that you are wrong. When you include that step, it tells you how to pick preferences and all the other aspects of the statistic.

I don't believe that step was skipped. I feel like I explained it pretty well that this is #1 a statistic created by a person who does not and never has played disc golf and #2 is a preference based statistic that not all would agree with and #3 not the best way to do it if you wanted to really get in to it.

There are a lot more factors you can bring in if you wanted a more definitive list I've admitted that. However if your question is, "Hey where's the best spots that have quality courses within reasonable daily driving distance?", I believe this stat answers it pretty well. I think most people would agree to that.

Beyond that I think you're wanting more out of this than what was intended or what I ever made it out to be. It's just a list that gives you an idea of where things stand as of now and how they've changed since the original list. Any of the places in the Top 25 is a solid place to hit if you're traveling or wanting to live and have quality disc golf around you. A quick reference guide if you will.

I was finding the place with the best courses, I'd probably think of it as the place where a player living there would play some function of more rounds at the higher rated courses. I'm not sure how I would balance more vs. higher rated. Which means I would need to go back and better define why I'm finding the place with the best courses.

Yeah but in the end that would also be based mostly on what your personal preferences are. How can you determine what any said person would do or what they would want to do if they were in that position. Some people tend not to like playing epic 5 star courses a lot because they tend to be long and more difficult, a lot of people would prefer that. You'd have to literally monitor traffic at courses to factor that in.

I were finding the best place to visit for a course-poaching vacation, I would not be looking at an area, but a "string" of courses that could all be hit with a minimum of travel from course to course. For a huge example, driving all of I-35 might be a better trip than visiting WI.

Again, that's a preference. If I was doing a nothing but driving from here to there and asking myself "What great courses can I hit on the way?" then yes that's a good stat to create.

The biggest roadtrip I've done for disc golf was not really done that way. We were more thinking each day is an area so what are the best courses we can hit in that area within the period of one day. Then when it got dark we drove to the next area. We hit groupings not strings.

You also have the people who are not just factoring in disc golf to their vacation plans. For some disc golf is just another thing on their agenda not the agenda. If I'm going on vacation and my options are narrowed down to Orlando, Portland or Cincinnati based on other factors, then I want to get an idea of which of the three would also give me a chance to play some great courses this list would help with that decision as a quick reference. You could cross off Orlando (not Orland Park) and dive deeper in to Portland and Cincy.

Last edited:
The Texas rankings should have an asterisk next to them. People from Texas always think their stuff is better. I mean...people who say Whataburger has the best burgers in the world are using a way different scale for rating things ;-)

My corporate office is in TX and if I hear one more idiot tell me how good Whataburger is.......

My corporate office is in TX and if I hear one more idiot tell me how good Whataburger is.......
The TX fluffing is real. Thankfully there was and In and Out so I was able to get a mighty fine burger in TX.

Bear Creek that I played on Wednesday in DFW (3.62 rated) isn't in the ballpark of courses lower rated in the Charlotte area (Sugaw at 3.24, Goat Island at 3.29, Rankin 3.42, Eastway 3.47, Kilborne 3.53, Reedy Creek 3.55, Stumpy Creek 3.58 and Winget 3.60).

Beyond that I think you're wanting more out of this than what was intended or what I ever made it out to be. It's just a list that gives you an idea of where things stand as of now and how they've changed since the original list. Any of the places in the Top 25 is a solid place to hit if you're traveling or wanting to live and have quality disc golf around you. A quick reference guide if you will.]

All true. I was just offering ideas for anyone who was curious or who might want to get more out of it, or take on some similar project.

Orland park, it gets autocorrected.

It's on the map about 15 miles SW of chicagos dot

Just giving you crap, I knew you had to be talking about Orland. If it was only once, I would have ignored it, but I saw Orlando Park so many times in your post.

The TX fluffing is real. Thankfully there was and In and Out so I was able to get a mighty fine burger in TX.

Bear Creek that I played on Wednesday in DFW (3.62 rated) isn't in the ballpark of courses lower rated in the Charlotte area (Sugaw at 3.24, Goat Island at 3.29, Rankin 3.42, Eastway 3.47, Kilborne 3.53, Reedy Creek 3.55, Stumpy Creek 3.58 and Winget 3.60).

I don't get the In-N-Out Burger love, to me it's just an average backyard grilled burger. No worries, that's why we have all the choices for burgers.

Bear Creek isn't my favorite in the area, it's lost some of it's spirit since the city starting making changes in preparation to convert over 1/3 of it to a dog park. I would have suggested Turner Park for something near DFW airport.

I don't get the In-N-Out Burger love, to me it's just an average backyard grilled burger. No worries, that's why we have all the choices for burgers.

Bear Creek isn't my favorite in the area, it's lost some of it's spirit since the city starting making changes in preparation to convert over 1/3 of it to a dog park. I would have suggested Turner Park for something near DFW airport.
I'm shocked by how big that dog park is going to be. Seems like they could have done something with a portion of land where hole 14 is for a dog park. I'll definitely try Turner the next time I am in town. I thought Bicentennial (the only other TX course I've played) was much closer to 3.5 then Bear Creek.

I was with you until the Whataburger comment...

I said the same thing on the original thread - DFW players way overrate these courses. Heck I played a 2.5-star that had stray dogs and used needles all over and people hooking up with prostitutes in the parking lot.
Had nice teepads tho...

Hookers and nice tee pads, that's at least a 3 star in my book. :\

Were the dogs cute and fluffy? That's another .5 if yes.

You must be mistaken, Charlotte is only at the top of this list because I intentionally crafted it so NC would look good.

You must be mistaken, Charlotte is only at the top of this list because I intentionally crafted it so NC would look good.

I knew it!:D

Latest posts