• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Disc for LEARNING Forehand & Tips

Always, always, always lead with the elbow! You'll lose power any other way. I did not do this for the first 8 years of throwing FH. Now I do and can throw 50-75' further than I did FH.

Go to youtube for vids of Avery J FH'ing. He and Geoff Bennett are perfect examples.

Ok, I'll watch Avery's more closely, but I'm not familiar with Geoff Bennett.

Lead with the elbow...is your arm ever on a plane parallel to the ground as it moves forward? Or angled.

I stuck with a teebird mostly FH, until I had accuracy to 300'. Then bumped up in stability from there. I had never thougt about it before but I used to throw a lot of FH playing ultimate and the form is pretty natural for me. That being said I use FH for raw distance and can crank them out further than anything I throw with my standstill BH.

I want to recommend against learning FH with any putter, as in my experience the form to throw a putter well FH doesn't translate well to drivers, unlike the BH throw. Not in my case at least.

Wow...more stable than T-bird...I'm guessing Banshee, Firebird, I am going to try the T-bird since I have quite a few on hand.

I think ultimate players are the best forehanders I've seen. I have a friend that's former Ultimate and when we've played together, I've asked him what disc he was throwing....he had no clue. But consistently got serious D on forehand drives, I really believe it helps DG players.

After 20+ years of throwing only BH, I finally decided a few years ago I needed to start throwing FH.

This mostly came about because I'm left handed, and since courses I played all seemed to favor the RH thrower, this would be my great equalizer.

First, I went out to a local soccer field and emptied my bag out. I found my more stable discs flew the best.
The Destroyer really allowed my forehand game to move up to a new level, allowing me to throw nearly the same distance as my best seasoned backhand throws, try one if you're starting out.

The problem is, as my skill improves, I need more and more stable discs.
Now I throw stabilized Star Boss's and Destroyers (the Starlite runs), and an XCal for upwind shots, and a flat top Eagle X for upshots.

I did recently find a 150 Dx Teerex, which I'm very interested in for downwind forehand shots.

Eventually, after you've turned and burned everything else on the planet, you will end up with a Flick if you dont wreck your arm first, its a forehand guys disc.

My hips lead the abdomen, then the chest and the shoulders follow, bringing the arm with it. As you work with and get comfortable you'll be able to feel the rotation, but don't force it.

Once you get it down my favorite FH disc around is the Teerex. And I know it's almost a taboo subject, with the threat of an "Internet distance" war but I'd be curious on people's FH distance. I'm most comfortable 320-350 but can pass 400 and on rare occasion break 460-70.

As far as FH players, I'm not a fan of Avery Jenkins FH, although it is very effective. My FH idol, and the player I try to emulate FH, is definetely Geoff Bennet. If at all possible watch the 2007 MSDGC DVD, and his battle with Cale Leiviska. It is incredible and was a huge motivation for me earlier on in my discin' life.

I'm primarily a FH player (which may be changing...) and I LOVE the XCal. A friend of mine let me throw his... never went back. I can bomb it around 340' and it is super accurate and easy to feel. A high recommendation.

I have a comfortable range of 350-400 with my FH. It's just depends on the lay of the land. The furthest I've ever thrown is around 550, but that was with some tail wind on a slight decline, and I've not hit that distance since.

After 20+ years of throwing only BH, I finally decided a few years ago I needed to start throwing FH.

This mostly came about because I'm left handed, and since courses I played all seemed to favor the RH thrower, this would be my great equalizer.

First, I went out to a local soccer field and emptied my bag out. I found my more stable discs flew the best.
The Destroyer really allowed my forehand game to move up to a new level, allowing me to throw nearly the same distance as my best seasoned backhand throws, try one if you're starting out.

The problem is, as my skill improves, I need more and more stable discs.
Now I throw stabilized Star Boss's and Destroyers (the Starlite runs), and an XCal for upwind shots, and a flat top Eagle X for upshots.

I did recently find a 150 Dx Teerex, which I'm very interested in for downwind forehand shots.

Eventually, after you've turned and burned everything else on the planet, you will end up with a Flick if you dont wreck your arm first, its a forehand guys disc.

Good idea, I might just need to do this by trial and error. I will have to add a few discs to the bag until I find what I consistently throw well. Unfortunately for me, I have no way to judge what is consistent right now. :(

Once you get it down my favorite FH disc around is the Teerex. And I know it's almost a taboo subject, with the threat of an "Internet distance" war but I'd be curious on people's FH distance. I'm most comfortable 320-350 but can pass 400 and on rare occasion break 460-70.

As far as FH players, I'm not a fan of Avery Jenkins FH, although it is very effective. My FH idol, and the player I try to emulate FH, is definetely Geoff Bennet. If at all possible watch the 2007 MSDGC DVD, and his battle with Cale Leiviska. It is incredible and was a huge motivation for me earlier on in my discin' life.

That's good "D" IMO. Geoff Bennet, heard that name before on this thread. I will definitely look him up on YouTube.

I'm primarily a FH player (which may be changing...) and I LOVE the XCal. A friend of mine let me throw his... never went back. I can bomb it around 340' and it is super accurate and easy to feel. A high recommendation.

Just gave away my star XCal. How long were you throwing before you tried an XCal?

If you're throwing without an X-step, the weight transfer, footwork, and uncoiling all resemble swinging a baseball bat.

As for discs, I'd stay away from anything too fast for now, hell, I rarely pull out anything faster than my Predator, and rely heavily on my Banshee, T-bird, Eagle, Wasp, and even my Mako for some ridiculous hyzer flips. Any disc can be forehanded, its all a matter of determining snap speed and release angle.

Good point, I know I need to take all my plastic out there and try it. I just wondered if I might need to secure anything additional to try and if there were any tips that might help. Everyone has made good suggestions and the thoughts on technique were great!

For some reason a 150 star sidewinder works well for my wife. She has a real light flick obviously but it goes twice as far as anything else.

I am doing good (not necessarily good but better) with a 163 Star Sidewinder. Good idea to try a lighter one. I think it might work better for women because our hands are small and the rim is not too big. I like to throw a 150 Pro Boss, but the rim rubs on my ring finger and hurts after a while. Thanks Bill.

Sarah Stanhope has a good forehand too if you wanna see how a woman does it...Burl probably does as well since she played ultimate.

PS Marshall street has DX x-out stingrays that are almost completely flat-topped...Christy is loving flicking these, they just have that perfect feel.

Latest posts