• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Disc Golf Shoes?

I have been wearing a pair of Mizuno road running shoes since I started disc golf a month or so ago. They were very comfortable and actually I didn't slip as much as I thought I would on my root and leaf laden home course. Unfortunately the roots seem to have taken their took toll on my shoes because part of the bottom fell off yesterday.

Would a pair trail running shoes (saw some well rated Saucony for $40) work for this type of terrain or do I need to invest in shoes that are geared more towards hiking (which seem to be $80+)? Wasn't sure of how high quality of shoes I needed to invest in being a novice.

Thanks for the advice!

TripleB

Last edited:
I have been wearing a pair of Mizuno road running shoes since I started disc golf a month or so ago. They were very comfortable and actually I didn't slip as much as I thought I would on my root and leaf laden home course. Unfortunately the roots seem to have taken their took toll on my shoes because part of the bottom fell off yesterday.

Would a pair trail running shoes (saw some well rated Saucony for $40) work for this type of terrain or do I need to invest in shoes that are geared more towards hiking (which seem to be $80+)? Wasn't sure of how high quality of shoes I needed to invest in being a novice.

Thanks for the advice!

TripleB

Any shoe will work, as long as you're satisfied with the amount of traction, but in general those 40 dollar trail running shoes will wear down to smooth about twice as fast as 80+ dollar low top hikers, so it ends up being the same amount of money per year. Also, Adidas terrex line (by far the most popular golf shoe on rough New England terrain) can be had through the Adidas website for under 50 dollars. The promo code "innova" gets you 40% off and registering on their site gets you a $20 off coupon that stacks with the discount. They run from 90 to 130 depending if you get gore-tex or quick laces or both, that drops to like 35-58 bucks for a pair of shoes that should last a whole season

How are these throwing from fairway/grass? Are they slick at all on natural surfaces, having shorter tread? Also, any verdict on comfort or other complaints?

I like the idea of durability plus light and (batting surface) grippy per description: "Generate pole-to-pole power. These men's baseball training shoes are built to clock long hours at the batting cage or practice field. Ultra-light for speed around the bags, they have a mesh upper inspired by the iconic zx flux sneaker. The outsole delivers ground-gripping traction on turf."

I have just worn my old tennis shoes but those are now trashed and I need something else because I'm not ready to transition my current everyday pair. I will likely read through this thread more and look into trail runners too but was concerned that those would wear quickly on concrete surface tees (maybe I'll find answer to that while reading).

I have been very impressed with how grippy these are on all surfaces. They are designed for turf but they seem to work exceptionally well on everything... wet concrete, wet grass, and dirt. Plus, with the shorter tread, you don't have too worry about your foot getting stuck in the ground and wrecking your knee. I was concerned that the tread would wear out quickly but they have held up really well... I don't see any flat spots so far.

I would definitely buy these again. They are somewhat narrow... and I have narrow feet but overall they are very comfortable. The soles are firm but springy. Only downside... they are made for dry conditions, so if you wear these in long wet grass, your feet will get wet very quickly.

I have worn hiking boots since I began play. Before I started Disc Golf, I liked weekend hiking (8-ish mile hikes). I don't remember the brand of my last pair, but I recently replaced them with Merrell Moab Mid height hikers. I seem to recall they were about $60. Very reasonable. My hubby tries to walk at least 5 miles every day, and gets about a year and a half out of a pair. And that's mostly pavement walking, so they hold up well.

Mine, that I've had for most of a year, are holding up great. The only issue is in hot weather my feet get sweaty. But in COLD weather, they're great, and in both cases, have proven to be nicely water resistant with EXCELLENT traction, on steep, muddy slopes, wet grass, rooty, rocky, course sand... everything. Some slight slip on packed wet snow, but pretty much anything will slip in that.

Any shoe will work, as long as you're satisfied with the amount of traction.

That's the tough part I guess. Finding a shoe that offers great traction for the roots/leaves yet doesn't wear down on the concrete tee pads.

Thanks for the info on the Adidas website...I'll definitely check that out!!!

TripleB

Adidas terrex line (by far the most popular golf shoe on rough New England terrain) can be had through the Adidas website for under 50 dollars. The promo code "innova" gets you 40% off and registering on their site gets you a $20 off coupon that stacks with the discount. They run from 90 to 130 depending if you get gore-tex or quick laces or both, that drops to like 35-58 bucks for a pair of shoes that should last a whole season

I don't wear regular shoes anymore (switched to five fingers) but I tried this for my wife and the promo code was not recognized. I didn't get a coupon for signing up either.

it could be expired, although i remember it was case sensitive. can't remember if the "I" was caps or not but it mattered. I just checked and the 20 off is definitely still there on adidasoutdoor.com

it could be expired, although i remember it was case sensitive. can't remember if the "I" was caps or not but it mattered. I just checked and the 20 off is definitely still there on adidasoutdoor.com

I was trying the Adidas.com site. I tried addiasoutdoor.com but still no luck. addiasoutdoor.com does appear to be the correct site and the promo code appears to have been "innova" based on the error codes for the different spellings. "innova" gives the error, this code cannot be added to your cart currently.

I believe the code is expired. Oh well. The shoes look pretty decent, but as a family policy we don't buy shoes over 100$ anymore.

Hey Broomerang, I just started playing in August and have been using new balance trail running shoes. They have worked great until recently. Now that the grass is getting damp it is penetrating through the shoes. Playing with wet socks is a real bumout. Today I just ordered some waterproof keen Oakridges from REI garage. They are on sale right now, marked down from $115 to $79, and if you're part of their coop, you can use the code gearup20 and get another 20% off with free shipping. It ended up costing me $63. They have regular and wide widths, which is ideal for my wide paws. Can't really vouch for their fit yet other than that, but it's another option for you.REI has a great return policy too if you end up not liking them

Last edited:
Just checked these out online, and sure enough Avery left a review saying they are his favorite. Small world.

Low cost option

Got these with cashback points at big K. $24.99 minus cashback equaled $15 plus got $13 cashback bonus on my next purchase. I really like them and was tired of going through $100+ shoes.

In store at your local kmart. If I scred them in a few months, no biggy just pickup a new pair. My shoes are normally full of mud and stink anyway after a month or two. Bought salmon for $130 and they didn't last longer. Save some cash for after round burgers and beers.

Ones I got:
http://m.kmart.com/northwest-territory-men-s-fairfax-black-hiking-shoe/p-035VA85889812P

$15 waterproof version
http://m.kmart.com/northwest-territory-men-s-kirk-gray-black-waterproof-hiking-shoe/p-035VA92670012P

I find that spikeless "ball golf" shoes work great. I currently wear a pair of New Balance...$40
The spikeless shoes are a lot less expensive, lighter weight and most are very waterproof. Also,
The toes are reinforced on most shoes. Most brands go on and off sale pricing very often.
They have good traction and feel.

I find that spikeless "ball golf" shoes work great. I currently wear a pair of New Balance...$40
The spikeless shoes are a lot less expensive, lighter weight and most are very waterproof. Also,
The toes are reinforced on most shoes. Most brands go on and off sale pricing very often.
They have good traction and feel.

I thought about buying some Adidas Golf shoes that used a bunch of nubs on the bottom but the shoes were so undercushioned that they did not seem like they would work for disc golf, for me. Upper was based off of a water shoe with single layer mesh upper that Adidas also makes and the tongue was built into the shoe that had a bungee lace system; that meant the shoe had to fit the foot or movement was going to happen.

I did think about getting some New Balance Baseball shoes made to play on turf for disc golf as the motions in throwing in Baseball are really similar to disc golf and the shoe would be built to withstand that kind of movement.

The Newest model of Brooks Cascadia 13 seems like they would work better for disc golf then the 10-11 and even the 12 model. The shoe has a lower guard for sticks and other things into the low part where mesh met the cushioning where the shoe would rip anyhow in the 10 and 11 models with runners due to the twisting motions. The Brooks Cascadia 13 is $130 now no longer $120-$125 but that is fine with me, however I got some 11 extra model when they were on sale for Running and used Gorilla Glue to cover the mesh on spots as I use those shoes for Running.

I still find my model of FILA Non Slip Work shoes seem to work best for disc golf as they have a full no mesh upper for hiking in the woods without a path while the sports shape of the shoe can handle twisting motion of disc golf. I do not like how long it takes for the Type of FILA Non Slip Work shoes to break in, major flaw as well as not knowing how long the shoe will last for me. I have tried my retired trail running shoes, well all running except a road race for disc golf and the plastic stone guard in the cushioning feels off on concrete tee pads when I use a shoe that I was done running in.

Last edited:
these work perfectly for me and i get about 4 yrs ( over 115 rounds a year).
http://reebokwork.com/168/Reebok-Bema-RB1940

the thing that really makes the difference is these insoles.
https://www.powersteps.com/shop-products/powerstep-insoles/full-support/pinnacle.html

i walked and mostly stood on bare concrete for 30 yrs as a machinist. i have had several serious problems with my back, hip and feet mostly on my right side. i go to a safety shoe store and get fitted for my new shoes. i then replace the insoles with the powersteps. these work so well i have a pair for everyday wear as well. i only wish i had had these 30 yrs ago. good luck.

Latest posts