• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Disc Golf State

TP, thanks again for the info. I'll defintely stay in touch if there is a chance our schedules will mesh.
I'm just in the pipe dream stage with this, but I've already found an interesting cluster of 5 courses around Peru, IN.

Being that I am from Texas I would say that we definitely have a healthy Disc Golf scene with some truly great courses Pease Park, Harry Myers, and East Metro to name a few. I have also played courses in Florida which I found enjoyable. I think the one thing to keep in mind is in southern states the ability to play year round can not be underestimated. Im sure the courses up north are amazing in the summer but when that lake effect snow starts coming Im sure they lose some of that appeal.

Any state that has really long courses and not just pitch and putt.

Sure, sure... the new guys need those short courses, but someone bring on the par 5's already.

:^)

Who cares?? Play whatcha got and enjoy it...if you don't invest in making it better!!!

While our courses in the ATL area are not all the best...there sure are enough of them to keep you happy!!

ill take my oregon scene with 3 of the top ten courses only a ride away... and whistlers being my second home course

I see Oregon has a huge scene...but doesn't it rain a little too often for Oregon to be disc golf heaven. I'd rather play in wind or cold or snow than wet rainfalls. Also seems that there are a large number of high atings for Oregon courses, not just the top ten courses but as a whole there are higher ratings out there? Are they all that good or are East Coasters perhaps a bit more cynical when writing reviews. I hope to get out there and see it for myself someday...definetely not hating, just my skepticism. I want to go to Oregon just to throw #14 at Whistlers!

how about Minnesota- Blue Ribbon Pines, Bryant Lake, Hyland Hills, Kaposia, Elm Creek opening up soon and also the largest disc golf league in the world, Sundog Tournament Series. Minnesota Majestic is a national tour event and there are also hard core disc golfers in the below freezing winters for 5 months of the year. 3 discraft pros in the twin cities-Cale Leiviska, Timmy Gill, and Jon Drummond

What state has the highest ratio of courses rated 4 or higher to square miles? That would be the state that I vote for. I don't care enough to do the research myself, but if someone does care and has the time, then I'll vote for the state that you come up with. Until that time, I vote TEXAS!!!!

What state has the highest ratio of courses rated 4 or higher to square miles? That would be the state that I vote for. I don't care enough to do the research myself, but if someone does care and has the time, then I'll vote for the state that you come up with. Until that time, I vote TEXAS!!!!

Okay, I took the time after all. Here's the rank that I came up with by looking at the number of courses with at least 10 reviews that were rated 4 or higher compared to land area of the state:

Top 15 States for Disc Golf:
1. Connecticut - 1 Excellent course every 5,500 sq miles.
2. Maryland - 1 every 6,200 sq mi
3. Pennsylavania - every 7,700 sq mi
4. Kentucky - every 8,000 sq mi
5. Massachusetts - every 10,500 sq mi
6. North Carolina - every 13,500 sq mi
7. New York - every 13,600 sq mi
8. Virginia - every 14,300 sq mi
9. Tennessee - every 21,000 sq mi
10. Ohio - every 22,500 sq mi
11. West Virginia - every 24,000 sq mi
12. Texas - every 24,500 sq mi
13. California - every 27,300 sq mi
14. Georgia - every 29,500 sq mi
15. Oregon - every 32,700 miles

Without factoring in square mileage and just going by sheer numbers of courses rated 4 or higher with at least 10 reviews:
1. Texas - 11
2. Pennsylvania - 6
California - 6
4. Kentucky - 5
5. New York - 4
North Carolina - 4
7. Oregon - 3
Virginia - 3

Based on these numbers, I'd say the two leading contenders are Pennsylvania and Kentucky.

As of some time in January, it was Virginia by a wide margin, though I didn't take into account how many reviews a course has. Maybe if you become a premium member (and get a crown), you can get more current data. :)

More to the point, requiring 10+ reviews for a hit eliminates 109 of Michigan's 118 courses, no matter what the rating. It's a pretty steep standard, especially since you see that Michigan (just the example I happened to pick) has 15 courses rated 4+ but only 2 of those have more than 10 reviews. This is all so deliciously subjective. :cool:

Okay, I took the time after all. Here's the rank that I came up with by looking at the number of courses with at least 10 reviews that were rated 4 or higher compared to land area of the state:

Top 15 States for Disc Golf:
1. Connecticut - 1 Excellent course every 5,500 sq miles.
2. Maryland - 1 every 6,200 sq mi
3. Pennsylavania - every 7,700 sq mi
4. Kentucky - every 8,000 sq mi
5. Massachusetts - every 10,500 sq mi
6. North Carolina - every 13,500 sq mi
7. New York - every 13,600 sq mi
8. Virginia - every 14,300 sq mi
9. Tennessee - every 21,000 sq mi
10. Ohio - every 22,500 sq mi
11. West Virginia - every 24,000 sq mi
12. Texas - every 24,500 sq mi
13. California - every 27,300 sq mi
14. Georgia - every 29,500 sq mi
15. Oregon - every 32,700 miles

Without factoring in square mileage and just going by sheer numbers of courses rated 4 or higher with at least 10 reviews:
1. Texas - 11
2. Pennsylvania - 6
California - 6
4. Kentucky - 5
5. New York - 4
North Carolina - 4
7. Oregon - 3
Virginia - 3

Based on these numbers, I'd say the two leading contenders are Pennsylvania and Kentucky.

Good work sir, you made my analytical mind sizzle with that one. Now if only there was some way to factor in the local Disc Golf scene and the number of warm playing months.

Connecticut and Maryland are only at the top of that list because of their small size. I wonder how all of New England would factor in if it was treated as one state. I'm not sure what land area of a jurisdictional boundary set more than a century has to do with quality courses. Most good disc golf regions are more city oriented than state oriented, and a great deal of the good DG meccas in the country happen to be ones that have some of their player base in multiple states (Kansas City, St. Louis, Cincinnati, Quad Cities, Charlotte, Twin Cities come to mind).

I agree that hands down the northeast portion of the country has the best disc golf scene overall with tons of great courses...from what I hear. The title of this thread was "best disc golf state" which by definition is confined to "jurisdicional boundaries". So pound for pound that puts Connecticut at the top of the list.

Connecticut and Maryland are only at the top of that list because of their small size. I wonder how all of New England would factor in if it was treated as one state. I'm not sure what land area of a jurisdictional boundary set more than a century has to do with quality courses. Most good disc golf regions are more city oriented than state oriented, and a great deal of the good DG meccas in the country happen to be ones that have some of their player base in multiple states (Kansas City, St. Louis, Cincinnati, Quad Cities, Charlotte, Twin Cities come to mind).

I am happy with my area. Within 75mi of Atlanta we have:

5- 4 disc courses
4- 3.5 disc courses
5- 3 disc courses

And within easy driving distance to the "meccas" of SC, NC, and the Augusta courses.

Living in Michigan and I have to say I feel blessed when it comes to places to play. The economy sucks but you cant ask for a better area for disc golf.
38 courses within 50 miles of the house. With a couple more coming this summer!
103 listed courses with in 100 miles of the house!!

Latest posts