• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Disc Golf Video/DVD?

DiscChainBasket18

Double Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
I have been buying & watching disc golf DVD's in an effort to emulate my favorite players throws/styles. Just trying to figure it out. My first purchases were the Scott Stokely tapes. Those helped a bunch. Since then I have bought about 5 DVD's. Some are good, some are horrible. Sometimes it's poor video quality. Other times it's nauseating announcers & still others have bad music etc. I want to buy another DVD but first I want some opinions from my peers here at DGCR. Any suggestions?

How about you start with which ones you have that are good vs. bad?

ERic

I recently bought 2 "Clash" DVDs from www.clashdvd.com. This is a new series of DVDs featuring famous pro players in team play against each other.

Renny Gold: Three on three team play featuring: Ken Climo, Dave Feldberg, Nate Doss (The Untouchables) versus Barry Schultz, Brian Schweberger, Tim Gill (The Touchers). They play on the Renny Gold course in North Carolina.

Winthrop Gold: Doubles on steroids (2v2v2) featuring: (The Champs) Ken Climo & Nate Doss versus (Swedconsin) Barry Schultz & Markus Kallstrom versus (Team Oregon) David Feldberg & Avery Jenkins. They play on the Winthrop Gold course in North Caroline (course used in the USDGC tournament).

I ordered the DVDs and they arrived within 2 days. Excellent turn-around. Both DVDs were excellent. I really enjoyed watching the best players playing at the top of their game on notoriously hard courses. But the best thing was that because it was doubles (or triples) format, there was discussion on many of the holes between the players. Where to lay up, who should go for it, what they were thinking. Normally with disc golf DVDs you don't really get to hear what the golfers are thinking since they're all playing solo. With these, there is some real discussion about what they're trying to do. And amazingly they often do it.

Commentary on both discs was by Billy Crump, aka Nature Boy. He's a blast. Occasionally silly, but he has such earnest in his commentary. It really comes across about how much he loves the sport. I'm not usually a fan of commentary, but overall I thought it worked pretty good. There is also plenty of commentary from the man who led the design and creation of the Renny course, as they're playing it. At one point they Eagle a hole, and he's sort of in awe and says "They're not supposed to be able to do that." When you've got some of the world's best, where they don't have to lay up, you get some amazing shots.

The camera work is also pretty good. There's a PlayerCam that's basically Billy carrying a handheld as he walks around with the players. This picks up some good commentary, but the shakiness makes it difficult to watch. But the tripod camera work, sometimes behind the drive and sometimes behind the basket is rock solid. In these cases you can actually follow the flight of the disc and get a feel for what they're accomplishing.

There's still the occasional camera shot looking down a fairway where the disc is completely out of sight. Either the cameraman has lost track of it, or it has simply been lost amongst the trees. Most every disc golf DVD I've ever watched suffers from this. I sure wish we had the money to afford professional cameras that could zoom in from multiple locations on every hole. But, that would probably also bring (when/if it happens) $25 greens fees.

On the Renny DVD, they also have Michael Johanson (I'm sure I've spelled his name wrong) play through the entire Renny Original course after the tournament. He shoots -17, and on the one hole he pars (it is par 3 all the way for the original course) he's got sort of a stunned look on his face. He's an amazing player. He's played the course a lot (I think they said it was his home course) but he makes it look so incredibly easy. I don't think the course is that easy, I think he's just that good.

Anywho, both were excellent, both were close matches, and overall the two best disc golf DVDs I own. I'm intending to buy the following matches when they become available. The whole thing has me planning a disc golf vacation to N.C. to try to play these two courses next spring. But that's a topic for another thread.

I also thought the Marshall Street 2006 DVD was quite good. But I'll review that in another post.

The Renny Clash dvd's is my favorite of the 6 disc golf dvd's I own. Billy Crump is annoying and definitely the worst part of the Clash series. I also own Winthrop Clash (ok video), MSDGC 05, 06, 07 videos (07 is the best), 2006 Worlds (ok video). I plan on buying the 08 Worlds and USDGC dvd's.

Oh and Renny Original is not a par 54 course it's a par 58. The reason Johansen looked stunned was that his putt chained out. That round btw was incredible to say the least.

Oh and Renny Original is not a par 54 course it's a par 58. The reason Johansen looked stunned was that his putt chained out. That round btw was incredible to say the least.

Thanks for the clarification on the par for Renny Original. It was an incredible round, and hard to imagine that it really should have been -18 :)

i've seen the two clash videos, and i agree i'd like someone other than billy crump commentating, but they vids are great...there is supposed to be a new one out soon...

never saw or own any DVD's cuz its not even captioned or subtitled. I did asked all the people who made those videos and they replied that they will work on it someday....

YOu could really enjoy the MSDGC 07 video DDG. There is a ton of content with just music playing (like best drives, putts, heartbreaking shots, etc) and the content with commentary has a scoreboard after each hole so it would still be quite easy to keep up with. Just a thought.

How about you start with which ones you have that are good vs. bad?

ERic
I'll review the ones I have seen so far:
Scott Stokely videos 1 & 2: these were the first Disc Golf videos I bought. Pretty good but hard to apply some of his techniques without him being there to tutor me.
'05 Worlds: this was my first pro D.G. tournement DVD & is the best I've seen so far. Nice footage with good announcers. The side bet set up by Schwebby with Matty-O was excellent.
'07 USDGC: great footage but the announcing was awful. Billy Crump seems like a nice enough guy but he was asking Ken Climo some goofy questions. I felt bad for Kenny a couple times there.
'04 Worlds- Iowa. Pretty good video. Announcing was good on this one too. Love watching Barry throw.
'06 Bowling Green Open: this one seemed like a good deal because it was a 3 DVD set for cheap $$. But you get what you pay for. The video quality was pretty poor. Of the 3 discs only one had any pro players on it.
Overall I think watching disc golf videos has helped me with my game.
** These are my own opinions & hopefully will not offend anyone.

I Love the Clash DVDs I have them all! also if you read the credits you would know Billy Crump heads the entire project so I doubt he will stop being the front man of the project, sorry if it wasn't for him the DVD's wouldn't exist.

This is a no-brainer!!!!

The 2003 USDGC championship.

Barry Shultz and Ken Climo finish the tournament tied, and play an additional 9/10 holes. To watch these guys go shot for shot with each other on such a tough course is amazing. The overall quality of the video is excellent, and you get to see many of the top pros - with emphasis on Barry and Kenny. If you can afford it, buy this dvd!

To me Barry seems like the coolest of them all. Well, aside from Mike Randolph.

i dont mean to commit any libel here and if im mistaken correct me, but i heard barry did not keep his composure/temper under control at an event last year at renny. this is only what ive heard from the local bums there.

I Love the Clash DVDs I have them all! also if you read the credits you would know Billy Crump heads the entire project so I doubt he will stop being the front man of the project, sorry if it wasn't for him the DVD's wouldn't exist.

I didn' think the renny gold clash video was all that good. I love the players, and the course looked amazing but felt like the footage wasn't up to par. The commentary was tiresome as well. The best footage I have seen was from the recent Japan Open (I think), but there wasn't much dialogue.

My biggest complaint in general is that the videos never do a very good job showing disc selection. I am always interested to know what they throw but it usually is difficult to tell by the footage. It would be nice if they either mentioned it or wrote something on the bottom of the video. Golf does it, why not DG.

I have not seen much of the USDGC videos but will look into the 2003.

Does anyone know when the 2008 USDGC DVD will come out? i had the honor of holding the boom mic for the lead camera man from hole 7 until we finished interviewing Nate in the circle of 18. Id love to see how all my hard work came out.

I've never seen any disc golf videos but might be interested in checking them out. Just wondering if anyone has seen any wakeboarding, snowboarding, or skateboarding videos and if any of these are like those.
Are there two types of videos? Highlights vs Informational? Some of these sound like checking out.

yeah and other things

yeah they had really cheap camera crew for the Renny video but they do what they can it is just a local project though. Yeah He lost his cool last year, but the way I see it, so the fuck what. He is human and no one knows what kind of stuff was on his mind, it was funny though took off his shirt and tossed it in the woods and a spectator went and got it and brought it back and he tossed it again haha I thought it was funny, it's nice to see the Pro's act human every once and a while IMO at least.