• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best discs for a summer camp

aardvarkious

Birdie Member
I'm a relative newbie to disc golf, and have recently moved to a place where the sport doesn't exist. I have been trying to fix that by talking to everyone I can about disc golf, and I've been asked by a local summer camp to lay out a course. I am also planning on donating $150 worth (including shipping to Canada) of discs. This camp is for people aged 11-18. No one around here has ever thrown a disc before.

Do you think I should only get one kind of disc, or get a few different kinds? I think I am leaning towards getting only lightweight Comets, but am far from decided. What is your best suggestion?

A camp I have worked for had a huge stack of 150 class Cyclones as well as some putters (I don't remember what) They must have found a good deal on them, I could probably find out their source (I wouldn't be surprised if they had been donated).

First off, I think it's great when people like yourself take on these kinds of challenges, especially when it involves the sport we all love.

Outside of sports I've worked with non-profits and have had affiliations with them for over 10 years and donations of a worthy cause can sometimes come pretty easy. I'd write about what you're doing to the bigger disc companies and am willing to bet you wouldn't receive a few boxes of X-out type discs from them. A tax write off for the donaters while promoting the sport is a win win situation.

Hats off brudda.

A local afterschool program that takes kids out on the course on the park grounds uses Cyclones. Basically anything low speed and understable would probably be good ... and cheap too. :thmbup:

You're the only one else I've seen from r/discgolf here.

contact gateway, they can give you a deal on their ultralights.
Also do not try to get a variety for the kids. I tried that for the first time this year and it was a fail!
Give them all 1 disc each, not a putter, mid, and driver. they will leave discs behind, not retrieve discs, and you will lose half your stash.

Goggle dga. On their site you will find a link to the 150 cyclones as well as xl's. It may be under rdga on the site.

I love comets but they can be trying for some to start, especially in a light weight. While we preach it here to correct form, fun should be your number one priority.

The xl and cyclone are both great discs that will offer the two basic feels of drivers without being prone to induce bad habits.

Those two and a putter would be good. A lot will advise some mids and such but no one will want to throw em anyways.

Gazelle and leopard would be my innova suggestion.

150 class DX cheetah is good too, understable enough, but it will come back on a bad throw, its pretty forgiving

Sharks are great for beginners, they're easy to throw, dx ones are pretty cheap, and they work fine as putters for new players. For younger kids, 150 sharks are awesome, for high school aged kids something more like 160g works well.

I used edge for my middle school kids. They were great. They donated a few discs and gave great prices for the others. We use a bunch of 150 and under sharks and skeeters.

WEDGIES all around

dxwedgeorg.jpg

Most new players I introduce to the sport in my age range (18-25) can't handle more than 2 discs max without losing them. I'd try to give them 1 disc, if possible, any of the following: Shark, Kite, Comet, Roc, Wedge, Leopard, Cheetah, Cyclone, XL. For putters, something beginner friendly like Magnets, P&A's, or any lid-style putter

I am not a DG expert but, I do a know kids and being a beginner. I agree with the others, one disc per kid. When I pay with my son and his friends we walk the course backwards to get the discs left behind. If I would only have one disc each for me and the boys, it would be a Shark. Good luck with whatever you land on and thank you for getting the kids involved in the game.

Our local club has been receiving superlight and light weight discs from Innova and Discraft to give to local kids during our clinics at the local shelters. Just give them a call and let them know what you're using them for. They'll give you what they recommend of what they have in-stock.

But as a general rule of thumb, these are some good characteristics for younger/newer players:
1. Lighter weight the better, 150g or less
2. The slower the better. Putters and glidey midranges like Skeeters, Stingrays, and Comets all work well for players with lower arm speed.
3. The cheaper the better. Don't bother with the premium plastics. Elite X (Discraft) and DX (Innova) plastics are more readily available in lighter weights, and take less power to throw.

150 dx leopards/shark/eagle
130 dx skeeters

one disc per kid. those 130 skeeters feel freaking rad completely different dx plastic feel very gummy imo and fly nice as well.

Last edited:
150 class
Sharks! Sharks! and more Sharks

Latest posts