• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best discs to practice proper form

I have been wanting to video myself for a bit, but also want to get to a point i'm stuck with self diagnosis before posting. Not sure what my hang-up there is but feel I learn a lot better fixing myself than from others, unless it were in person. I am just trying to have fun after all.

If you don't want to post up online, at least video yourself and check it out. Way easier to diagnose problems when you can see it afterwards and compare side by side to pro's. Feel ain't real. You may think you're doing something, and then realize when you're watching afterwards you're not.

Today i went 1st time to practice drives just with putters. most of the throws went about 50-60m (~160-200 feet) just once i got my warden over 70m (~230 feet) with quite much of hyzer. should i be getting those distances without hyzer fliping the putter? when i included run up i got same distances but the discs would turn and burn if i didn't give enough hyzer.

If things burn out badly when you power them up, then that's a form issue. That means before you were likely throwing it with that same issue, but backing off on the power enough that the hyzer release let it have a decent flight. Putters are not forgiving, which is why they are good for seeing this happen.

You should be able to get 200-230' range with just a snappy throw with a putter and not that much arm speed, so I'm thinking this is a form problem. I don't really hyzer flip putters for shots in that range, and the putters I like to throw (Anodes, before Wizards) never really needed a hyzer flip release even in 275-300'. I have not thrown a Warden. But if you're using a steep angle it's probably not correct.

How come?

The Aero is a slow disc--Speed 3, the same as many putters--and is stable-neutral. A stable-neautral disc has negligible turn and fade, so it shows well exactly what your release was like, turning left if you release with hyzer, turning right if you release with anhyzer. It will expose OAT and other issues clearly.

A Mako is slightly faster--speed 4--and also stable-neutral. It'll work in the same fashion.

My recommendation is to get a handful of the same model for practice.