• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best hole you have played?

"Best" is a tough term. Best for what? Best for whom? Favorite, Most Fun, Most Demanding, Prettiest, etc. are much easier to answer.

I guess I'll go with the holes I get the biggest adrenaline rush from attaining my goals on:
Renny 17 - just long enough and demanding enough where I feel I should get a 3 on regularly, but rarely do.
Winter Park 15 - the rush is from the fun that comes from the luck involved with wind, flippyness, etc to park a 710' big hill hole....and the joy of watching a disc fly forever (my max D flat ground is exactly half of that)

Does anyone know what hole on DGCR has been favorited the most? Flip City #11 has 10

#6 at Stafford Lake would have to be up there for me. And it sure changes throughout the year.

Attachments

• s6b.jpg
    s6b.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 72
  • s6a.jpg
    s6a.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 69
  • s2.jpg
    s2.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 65
Hole # 15 at Kincaid Park in Anchorage, AK. It's 422 ft of gradual downhill and really fun to watch.

for me it is hole 11 at China Peak

b3347aec.jpg

7f2370da.jpg

I've given it some thought, and I'm still at this stage, they're all pretty neat.

I've played most of the holes mentioned in this thread and then some, I'm not even going to begin listing my favorites, much less try to pick one, I can't even pick out my favorite hole on Bald Eagle and there's only 9 of them to choose from (but I liken that to having to choose a favorite child.. they're all beautiful in they're own right)

Lots of good ones at my favorite local course.

#15 at Brent Hambrick Memorial (Hoover Dam) Only 180', very narrow tunnel for sidearm on the left if you stand at the front corner of the tee, spike hyzer or overhand is the normal route. I always go for the tunnel and skipped in an ace earlier this year :)
f2b84076.jpg

#16 at Brent Hambrick, basket is 330' out, either 20' left or right of the dark shadow at the end depending on pin position. Either way I'm throwing my striker lazer straight, backhand for the left basket, forehand for the right. Also fun to practice rollers :)
a901f8ce.jpg

Last edited:
Too many already to name just one, but the Y Mando 11 at Idlewild goes near the top of the list.
Tee:
3084b186.jpg

Approach:
49470fe6.jpg

Island Green (must be inside landscaping in a 'Fred OB Rules' tournament):
44fe4775.jpg

..and I'd have to say that some of the most fun I've had was playing private courses like The Twilight Zone, and Morgan's Raid Country Club, but Shawshank is a grin the whole way around. Hole 18 ("Conjugal Visit") will be a memory builder for anyone who gets the privilege to play there.
Tee:
dd868252.jpg

Basket:
23bf78bf.jpg

"Best" is a tough term. Best for what? Best for whom? Favorite, Most Fun, Most Demanding, Prettiest, etc. are much easier to answer.

I guess I'll go with the holes I get the biggest adrenaline rush from attaining my goals on.......

The O.P. gave us guidance in his first post: funnest.

For myself, I was thinking in terms of the biggest adrenaline rush while standing on the tee, anticipating what would follow.

Makoshika State Park #12.

There is a slit that lets you see the basket or possibly go for it with a laser straight throw.

You can also hyzer around to the right of the big mound. The disc disappears while you cross your fingers and hope to see it reappear by the target.

The neat thing is that everything is about 3/5ths as big as it looks in the picture, so everyone has a shot at executing these incredibly difficult looking throws.

eb04ec72_m.jpg

18 at Solitude Utah it's like 900' downhill, into a big open field with the basket in the middle. Ulibarri birdied this hole at the Mellow Yellow tourny. Also I'm a huge fan of hole 6 at Art Dye disc golf park in American Fork, It's an uphill shot to a pedastal basket on top of a water tower. One of my first Aces.

The first hole that comes to mind probably isn't actually the best for me, but it has one of my favorite memories. Hole 12 at Turner in Arlington is a short hole that is fairly technical. It follows a winding creek up to the basket. The creek completely circles the basket, leaving it on an island that you are shooting at. There are several trees that litter the fairway on the way as well, making it easy to get your disc knocked off course and into the creek. One of my first times playing the hole, my wife hit one of said trees, and her disc ricocheted over by a large dead hollow tree on the left side. When she got to her disc I hear her scream, and turn to see her falling backwards as a large duck comes flying out of the hollow trunk right above her head. We couldn't stop laughing about it the rest of the day, and from then on that hole has always been the "duck hole" to me.

Probably the most fun I've had though on a single throw was at Bogus Basin in Idaho. I don't remember the hole number, but it was over 600' down the side of a mountain. There were a lot of trees, and being a mountain course, a lot of high brush with a pretty narrow clear fairway. Throwing my disc out there and watching it really take off, then out of view around a corner of the mountain, before it came back into view a few seconds later, was pretty exhilarating. I landed in the rough, probably a good 100' from the basket, but I was parallel to it, and even off a mountain, throwing a disc over 600' is a really fun thing to do.

My best at my home course is hole 12 at Bear Creek. It's also not very long, probably 220', but again, pretty technical. You can't see the basket from the tee, and have to throw it either FH, or RHBH on a good anny. The hole has a small creek running between the tee and basket, with a much deeper creek on the other side if you overthrow. The creek is probably 20' down a steep slope from where the basket sits, and all along the cliffside is guarded by trees of various size. More often than not I see people looking for their disc along the creek bed than I see them up near the basket, but when you hit the right line and sneak by those trees, you're going to be parked right under the basket. I always start Bear Creek on hole 13 and finish my game with 12. Finishing with that great technical shot and parking for a birdie is what makes it my favorite hole of that course and my favorite that I play most often.

It's an impossible task, of course, but I'll choose one anyway because I want to play along.

The O.P. gave us guidance in his first post: funnest.

Going by this criteria, the hole that jumps to mind for me is Trey Ranch's Trey Deuce, hole 18. That hole is mad.

f697d9df.jpg

56e96fc7.jpg

81fbc7a0.jpg

It's total disc golf insanity, while still being shockingly playable. You have to accept you'll hit a tree, but after that, it's very doable to work your way to the outside of the gauntlet and then make your approach from there. It's not easy, but it's a fantastic, memorable combination of absurdity and doability. I have never felt so daunted as when I stared down this one. I couldn't help but laugh aloud at its challenge.

As an aside, Linbrook 7 is probably my favorite green, for probably 30% challenge and 70% aesthetics. It and Friends of Punderson are by far the most underrated, overlooked courses I've played.

df484121.jpg

Also, I'm being a total scrooge here, but I've never been keen to Moraine 15. I know, I know... I just hate the shot: you either lay up at the turn or throw a huge, blind shot over the trees. It's just never done it for me.

(Just needed to confess my sins.... :p )

Hole 16 @ Tom Pearce in Grants Pass, Oregon. You have to throw through a bridge, it's a mando. The first time I got it through from the pro tee I was hella pumped :)

Nice to see love for Flip City's #2A almost right from the get-go! I envision a future when every course has several holes like that...

How about some short holes? I played DeLaveaga's "Gravity" hole back in 1999 and was astounded with how carefully I had to make my shot land on the ground. There's a newer short hole that I love (it plays like a short hole even though it's probably 300' or more by way of the crow), too, and it's #3 at Wild Haven in Manton, MI where you tee off from a steep, tall hill and the basket is perched precariously on the slope of a second steep hill below you going down from right to left, surrounded by shrubbery/trees. I played it on two occasions with the wind coming straight at me and again straight behind me. With the wind behind me, I carefully threw a touch shot with a 10-year-old beaten-up 167 DX Roc with lots of hyzer angle and overdrove it by 30 feet. With the wind in my face? A Star Starfire with extreme anhyzer angle missed an ace by two or three feet. You have to think about the wind up there like a ball golfer reads a putting surface...