• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best hole you have played?

Everyone who's played long enough to play old brackets 11 & 13, already answered those holes on earlier versions of this thread

Hole 18 at the Hudson Mills Monster. You have a few options on how to play this hole: 1) Throw a big RHBH anhyzer and hope to land close to the basket, 2) Lay up, throw a big blind spike hyzer and hope to land close to the basket, 3) mess everything up and land in the creek (short) or the pond (long).
Certainly an interesting hole, and those descriptions of how to play it are spot on, but you forgot to mention the hidden water about 30 ft left of the pin... definitely bumps up the pucker factor!

Dunno if you've seen it recently, but Hudson Mills has cleared out all the olive bushes. The pond is very exposed now. Much of the thick rough on Monster holes 7, A, 14, 15, 16, 18 has been decimated... much more forgiving of bad shots.

Certainly an interesting hole, and those descriptions of how to play it are spot on, but you forgot to mention the hidden water about 30 ft left of the pin... definitely bumps up the pucker factor!

Dunno if you've seen it recently, but Hudson Mills has cleared out all the olive bushes. The pond is very exposed now. Much of the thick rough on Monster holes 7, A, 14, 15, 16, 18 has been decimated... much more forgiving of bad shots.

Don't know if I would be happy about that or not? But, I can say that my Monster experience was like plinko golf, without the woods, and those bushes serving as the plinko mechanism.

Don't know if I would be happy about that or not? But, I can say that my Monster experience was like plinko golf, without the woods, and those bushes serving as the plinko mechanism.

I know this may sound seem contradictory, but... while I'm not happy about it, it does make for a more "enjoyable" round.

What they thinned out will grow back over time at least to something that's fairly thick, but until then it will create less scoring separation. The best shots* won't be that much better, but any previously bad shots may not be that bad at all, with easy recoveries that don't cost a stroke. It won't have a drastic affect on scores, perhaps a few strokes less for player who don't have good control.

* exceptions being holes 7 and 14. Lack of punishment puts less emphasis on placement and allows you to "go for it" more than before. So maybe a stroke or two less for big armed players who will now have the confidence to really open up on those holes.

Last edited:
I've played 70 courses in 7 states and nothing so far can beat out hole 14 @ BlackJack.

picture.php

signature hole 15 eisenhower state lake course in melvern KS is very cool. I'd have to say hole #1 at the emporia country club during GBO week as well.

BRP #4 really makes me want to take the trip up there. I've been mostly a "homer" up until this past year, so I haven't experienced a lot of courses. However, #14 at Silver Creek (Manitowoc, WI) was one of my favorites this year. My home courses are pretty flat, so a top of the world shot was an awesome experience.

The basket is beyond the treeline.

63b25c6f.jpg

These are great - I've added a few courses to my wish list after reviewing some of these posts.:thmbup:

Glad to see West Virginia represented in this thread as well!

For me, the best hole isn't the one that's the most fun or scenic. It's the one that tests the skills/abilities of the player. And to me the most challenging/testing holes are par 4/5 that require a both a left to right shot and a left to right shot. Castle Hayne #8, Nevin #5, Deer Lakes #9 all come to mind. CH #8 would be my favorite though; tight R to L teeshot, bending L to R fairway shot and then strong L to R approach. None of the shots are too difficult but all require skill to hit them.

I actually played it yesterday! We were very surprised at how open the course feels now without the olive bushes, and I found a new line at 18: lay up on the left side of the pond and throw a RHFH spike hyzer over the pond and around the trees guarding the pin. Landed in the chips - a birdie is much easier on this hole now.

The Monster is always going to reward placement and good lines over anything else, so if you're throwing well, the loss of the olive bushes is not going to affect you much. However, for the occasional errant shot, the course is now a bit more forgiving, but not by much.

Two that come to mind for me are both at Horseshoe Canyon Ranch in Arkansas.

Hole 2: Just a great tunnel shot over a creek on a beautiful course.
f6635574.jpg

Hole 13: Short hole, but the basket sits on a 20 ft. boulder. Really fun hole.
Tee
b4d41080.jpg

Approach
13b9472d.jpg

blue mt. #10 giant throw downhill (pic doesn't do it justice)
40fb314a.jpg

camp sekani #17 - another long downhiller having a nice tree lined fairway with the basket up on a rock plateau
db40123d.jpg

two rivers #21 when the bay freezes so i can skip off the ice
53961531.jpg

One comes to mind and its on a course that isn't in place yet. Hole 2 at what will be wildlife Prairie park in Peoria, Illinois. Elevated tee box 300' just to clear the water. Another 100 feet to get to the long dog leg left that follows the tree line. that dog leg left goes another 150 to 200 feet with the basket on the side of an incline at the end. Absolutely a blast to throw. Wish I had pictures

I can't pick just one, or even 10 - I have played too many awesome ones. Unfortunately I don't have pics (I don't take many), but some of my favorites:

#17 Bryant Lake
#1, #8, #18 at Maple Hill
#4, #5 Pyramids
#4 Blue Ribbon Pines
#4 Joralemon
#11? Morley - whatever hole the shoe tree was on - been a while...
#17 Beachfront
#4 Spearfish Canyon
#6, #9 Proper Tee (unlisted WI private course)

Many, many more....

Hole 3 granite ridge
That other hole on granite ridge
That hole on gold that's 900' through the woods(I think 2 holes before the 1300')
8 at wildcat is neat
Back to Highbridge the bear hole 3 or 4 or 5 the one that has three different lanes
Winter park hole 3 and 15

18 at Rollin ridge

How 6 on Gold. What a great par 5 or now hole 3 on the bear with 3 lines.