• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best non disc players pack items?

I'm Tding an event at the end of October and we are giving out tournament printed jackets. They are moisture wicking and have a port for your headphones. The are fleeced lined and a poly blend on the outside, we are also thinking about a neck gaitor to double as a facemask option as well as being able to help with the cool mornings.

I always like giving out something that is "in season" and can be used for the event and the next couple of months. I remember getting beanies in late spring and summer and always thinking those items would be better for events in the fall and winter.

Those jackets sound nicer than anything I ever got in a players pack.

Those jackets sound nicer than anything I ever got in a players pack.

Jackets? Funny story. 2 decades ago I went to work for a refinery. The group I joined earned a safety reward. The debate was a traditional carhart type jacket or something else. I was knew so I didn't really feel I had a stake in it, but was going to get the award.

They basically came up with a couple of paper weight options. One was a globe, the other I don't recall but was less useful than a globe so I thought. The globe was fist sized and weighed a few pounds—but it wasn't a real globe. It didn't have actual continent layout even.

If they had done jackets and I didn't need/want it I could have at least donated it to someone who needed a winter coat.

Bottom line—give something decent or save the money.

Towels - please no....I have gotten 7 towels
Mini - cool idea. Only have one mini from a tournament

A lot of people have mentioned towels, but I only had one towel until I got one in a player's package after playing for four years, and I've only gotten one more since. Minis, on the other hand, I have flowing out my closet.

You two should talk.

I wouldn't think socks a bad idea, if they're the right socks at the right time. While I lived in Iowa I found that a pair of warm socks were always fought over Christmas party thieving/dirty Santa gift exchanges. I would imagine that warm socks, which can be obtained for less than $10, would do okay at fall and winter tournaments.

You two should talk.

I wouldn't think socks a bad idea, if they're the right socks at the right time. While I lived in Iowa I found that a pair of warm socks were always fought over Christmas party thieving/dirty Santa gift exchanges. I would imagine that warm socks, which can be obtained for less than $10, would do okay at fall and winter tournaments.

I guess it all matters where you live.....here in Arizona, I rarely wear socks.

An airline size bottle of Wild Turkey. For those who aren't playing well half way thru the round, they may need it.

Just played a tournament where we got a metal tee sign of all three courses we played. Really neat and very high quality.

Nothing wrong with jackets, custom created items like the above, etc, etc, but why force the players to pay for it via the player pack? Why not just have them available to sell during the event or opt in during registration?

Nothing wrong with jackets, custom created items like the above, etc, etc, but why force the players to pay for it via the player pack? Why not just have them available to sell during the event or opt in during registration?

There's a lot of risk involved in just letting players purchase it. Doubly so if sized items are involved.

We were able to get full color bag tags with the event logo for free from our Visitors & Convention Bureau. They weren't numbered, but you could get them numbered and give them out as overall finishing places for the event.

With winter approaching, cold weather gear is valuable. Hand warmers are a nice touch that players appreciate, especially when they show up on a 30 degree morning with no gloves. Beanies work well since they are mostly one size, and people seem to be less concerned with the style of the beanie like they are with hats. Socks and shirts can be hard with sizing, but you can flip that around and tell people they need to pre register by a certain date to pick their size.

There's a lot of risk involved in just letting players purchase it. Doubly so if sized items are involved.

Define "risk" if you don't mind, thx.

Pretty sure he means because the TD would basically have to buy them all in advance, and then simply "hope" that players want to purchase them.

TD is going to get stuck with everything players don't buy.

The risk is all on the part of the TD.

Exactly that! If it was all pre-order it wouldn't be so bad, but just hoping someone will buy it...:\

Thought I would bump this thread. We had our AM only A Tier a couple weekends ago. Great turnout, great weather and if I do say so myself....a great event. The reason for the bump though was a new player pack item we tried out. We had each player fill out a mini questionnaire on the DGS reg page. Favorite disc, home course, motto, nickname, wins, primary throwing style...
We requested every player, submit a disc golf picture and we had player trading cards made. Every player got their own card in a protective sleeve and a pack of a dozen cards of completely random, other players in the tournament.

The response was amazing. Players spent most of the weekend trading. To the point where we are talking about setting up a spot on our facebook page to let members reach out and connect for trades. The cards came out really great. Given the general difficulties getting stock plastic for player packs, creativity is the new challenge.

In the same vein, I just got a nice windbreaker as a player pack item this past weekend. Nice quality and style. Stretch panels under the arms, velcro wrists, waist drawstring. And a hideous, flat brim trucker hat, with a patterned bill, in olive green....YIKES.

Thought I would bump this thread. We had our AM only A Tier a couple weekends ago. Great turnout, great weather and if I do say so myself....a great event. The reason for the bump though was a new player pack item we tried out. We had each player fill out a mini questionnaire on the DGS reg page. Favorite disc, home course, motto, nickname, wins, primary throwing style...
We requested every player, submit a disc golf picture and we had player trading cards made. Every player got their own card in a protective sleeve and a pack of a dozen cards of completely random, other players in the tournament.

The response was amazing. Players spent most of the weekend trading. To the point where we are talking about setting up a spot on our facebook page to let members reach out and connect for trades. The cards came out really great. Given the general difficulties getting stock plastic for player packs, creativity is the new challenge.

In the same vein, I just got a nice windbreaker as a player pack item this past weekend. Nice quality and style. Stretch panels under the arms, velcro wrists, waist drawstring. And a hideous, flat brim trucker hat, with a patterned bill, in olive green....YIKES.

love a fresh new idea, where did you source the cards from if i may ask.

love a fresh new idea, where did you source the cards from if i may ask.

Lol....a point of contention around here. I was not the TD and he did this without revealing his source. We did vote on idea, but he has refused to tell the board, outside of the treasurer and appropriate financial signers, the source. They seem sworn to secrecy. I am not kidding either. He really want to keep this a club exclusive around here. With that said, I am not sure the objection is others, not from around here, knowing. I will try to find out and letcha' know.

We are talking about bringing in a photographer next year and professionally staging some shots. We got many goofy, stupid and silly submissions this year. Which is cool, I mean they were the ones deciding. Despite warnings, we also had a few inappropriate submissions as well. One issue was the cost of printing up waitlist cards this year. We did not want to run risk of a player getting in off the waitlist and missing out on his card and pack. Our waitlist was pretty extensive. We do not order or send player packs to waitlisters that miss out. So, next year we may have to pass along the cost to the waitlisters. Though, I think we may move up to 288 players, hopefully reducing waitlists.

Latest posts