• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best overstable disc for a noob

As a newbie myself, I can vouch for the Banshee. Very predictable OS disc, so I always know what I'm getting. Once you learn to play its fade, you'll be fine with it. It does have some serious LSS, but I think it does the job of an OS fairway well for a beginner.

The banshee was my first driver and it's an excellent wind fighting disc. The firebird or Predator will be too fast for you, and while you could theoretically get some use out of them, the banshee will do better by you. Get it in champ.

I like the Trident. I just picked one up and I do not see it turning over anytime soon. Banshee would also work well.

I like the Trident. I just picked one up and I do not see it turning over anytime soon. Banshee would also work well.

Trident is an amazing disc, but I like it more for short control drives where the banshee was better for distance in the wind. Just a personal preference though.

As a fellow 250ish thrower, I can vouch for the Banshee. Truth be told, I'd argue for the Z Hornet, since I throw my champ Banshee maybe 5-10ft further than my Z Hornet. Banshee will work for yeah. Go champ. If you're gunna get an overstable, might as well GO overstable.

If your are fighting winds, look to weight, not just mold. For example, in my case, a 175 gram Valkyrie will resist turning over, but a 150 gram one will flip incredibly quickly.

So with that said. I've got a VERY domey Krait (blizzard champion at that) which I know will not turn over.

TeeDevil is another mold that I've found to head left really fast once its left my hand (rhbh thrower).

I think everyone suggesting Banshee are right, but I am going to go with a nice old Eagle again. Work your way up in OS. Trust me. I wish I had advice like these forums when I was starting to take disc golf seriously!

I want an overstable disc for 2 things:

1. A disc i can't turn and burn

2. Fight winds which often gust over 20 mph around here.

I throw in the 250' range consistently. Looking at the speed of the discs I throw successfully, I was thinking Banshee? Firebird?
1. Practice throwing putters for distance. When you can throw a neutral putter cleanly, you will have much less trouble with the wind.

2. A 150-class Star Teebird thrown cleanly on a slight hyzer will easily handle 20-30 mph headwinds. The key word is cleanly. I was motivated to clean up my throw when I realized that I could not throw a Teebird into the wind.

That said, overstable discs have many uses beyond throwing in headwinds. DX or Champion Banshee is a great choice if you want a disc that will go straight then fade hard. DX Whippet is another option if you want a disc that starts fading slightly before it leaves your hand. ;)

Banshee was the recommendation of my local golf shop pro, but I wasn't sure I had the arm for it. I saw some decent used ones in good plastic there today, so I think I'll give it a try.

Eagle sounds like an interesting disc as well. I've often seen it referred to as "first headwind driver," amongst other things.

Trident also sounds tempting...I like the svenska plastic.

Last edited:
Looking at your post again, you're looking for headwind fighting, not the hook I was thinking of. I'd wave off the Banshee, then. At your (our) distance level it'll definitely not turn and will fight the wind, but it'll hook hard on you (us). That being the case, suggestions for a Teebird or Eagle are probably the route you want to go.

I primarly throw RHFH and all I have are overstable discs in my bag. It sounds to me like you need anywhere from a speed 7-10 overtable driver that flies straight. The disc I am about to tell you is probably one of my favorite discs in my bag, and that disc is a Innova Star TL at 175g. Will fight the wind, is overstable, and you don't have to throw your arm out trying to throw it.

TL is a great disc (my first ace disc) but it is hardly what I would call overstable. especially in star plastic. it is more or less neutral out of the box and ends up flippy pretty quick in lower weights especially.

that being said, I have a 175 champ banshee that is a staple of my lineup and I wouldn't play a round without it. very versatile disc

Pro-D Zone

Truly overstable, not speed overstable. Very slow, so you should be able to control it. Won't flip, but not as beastly as its premium plastic brethren.

Definitely would recommend the Teebird....I see some people saying Champ plastic. I've only thrown it in DX, but its overstable there and knifes through the wind. I'll have to pick up a champ one myself....

Worldwide, true I guess I wouldn't call it "overstable". It's about halfway between stable and overstable but it does fly extremelly well through any wind.

All good suggestions (especially Banshee/Teebird/Eagle), but I'm going to recommend a Firebird. It's one of the best headwind fighters out there. The headwind helps stabilize it (headwinds make discs act understable), so you can throw something more overstable than your regular distance would suggest.

That said, the Firebird should be your fastest disc - with your arm, I wouldn't go about a speed seven right now until you get a clean throw down.