• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best PDGA Approved turbo putter

Technohic

* Ace Member *
My son wanted a "cheater putter" (He's 9) so I ordered him a Turbo Putt and it got me interested in the techniqe of turbo putting so I have been spending some time with my Banger-GTs and Blowfly playing around with it, and at first it felt stupid, but rather quickly it turned inot me doing jump, fall down, and fade-away turbo putts. :clap: Just having a lot of fun with it.

Anyway, just got his Turbo Putter today and, he is at a birthday party so, I cant take it out to "show him" how it works. lol And, since it is not legal, I dont know if I really want to touch it as it seems like I would be to tempted to use one, which could form some habits with a disc I cant use if I ever enter a tournament.

So, what approved putter seems to work best for this and does it matter? So far, seem to be better with my blowfly than Banger. Any suggestions?

Generally I've found that big bead putters tend to work best for turbo putts IMO. I don't turbo putt too often but I use a star aviar when I do.

Sounds like relatively overstable putters work the best, or its just like regular putting where you just use what feels right.

FWIW, had anyone seen me doing the stupid shots I was doing, I would have looked like an idiot. In fact, when the fiance got home from shopping, I wanted to show her my awesomeness, and missed horribly for like the first 5 throws. Then I just settled down and sunk a few, but she was already set that she just wants to putt the "normal way" at that point.

Turbo putting is one of the reasons I keep the r-pro Aviar in my bag. I get a better grip/release with the softer plastic.

It doesn't matter. Use the same putter that you normally use. No sense in carrying around a differant putter just for turbo putts. I actually like the Voodoo for turbo putting however I just use my KC aviar as that is what is already in my bag.

And, since it is not legal, I dont know if I really want to touch it as it seems like I would be to tempted to use one, which could form some habits with a disc I cant use if I ever enter a tournament.
Don't worry, go ahead and use it. You won't be tempted to use it twice.

It doesn't matter. Use the same putter that you normally use. No sense in carrying around a differant putter just for turbo putts. I actually like the Voodoo for turbo putting however I just use my KC aviar as that is what is already in my bag.
This. Just use your normal putter. You can do the turbo technique with any of them.

I have been teetering back and forth between my Banger-GT an Blowfly. Went out and moved the basket around for different distances and I think the Turbo Putt is just another tool to use if I need it; wont be my main putting style, however; I think the Blowfly got the starting job back because of it seeming to work better when needed, and of course I like the Blowfly if I put some lob on the putt as it wont roll as easy.

when messing around with turbo, i tend to use something more stable like a Zone, but you can really go wrong. Beads are nice too, especially on the KC Aviar

No bs but try the turbo with a polecat. I know everybody hates them but they are dead accurate and go perfectly straight for turbo putting. Besides that they suck.

polecats, birdies, rhynos...
i'd imagine any putter with a flat outer edge would work best, gives you the best "surface area" for your fingers

i can throw anything turbo style, drivers... whatever... they'lll all work

but i only use the turbo style for trouble spots, its worth knowing how to do it, but its not my first choice at all

I've had the best luck with discs that have a pretty flat nose like a rhyno or classic roc, they seem to have the most consistent release for me, and both are pretty overstable for putters. That said, you can make it work with just about anything in your bag. I also have better luck with my index and pinky fingers on the outside of the disc, and my middle two fingers with the knuckles on the inside of the rim, but I've seen other people who do well with all four fingers on the outside so play around and find what works for you.

I would just go with a heavier putter, type is less important. I do like the rhyno suggetion from earlier though, but don't buy a new putter to turbo putt with.

I use my buzzz or pig just about anything will work. I prefer this style only for my troubled shots.

The Turbo Putt disc isnt even that good for turbo putting other than getting more rotation. Also like you said, its not pdga approved so whats the point in using it.

The Turbo Putt disc I got for my son, just because he thinks its gotta be better than the other putters since it got banned. For a while there, I would putt with my Banger on a hyzer and the way it would fade right into the basket, the boys thought it had a magnet in it and wanted "cheater" discs to, but not exactly like daddy's.

Its just part of their active imagination.

i've always wanted to throw a "turbo putt'r" overhanded...
not worth the 5 bucks at PIAS, but i'm curious to how it would act tryin to throw it 300ft+ w/ a thumber

Got a friend who turbo putts pretty well with a Pro Rhyno.

The best turbo-putter I know uses a Challenger ... hes solid inside 20' outside that he switches to a more traditional style.