• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Places to Retire and Play Disc Golf?

funguy

Birdie Member
I was wondering if there are any thoughts out there about the best places to retire and play disc golf? I saw a resent post somewhere about the places with the highest concentrations of disc golf courses. Here in the NE there was Worcester, MA and Augusta, ME. I play mostly in the former but wouldn't think of it as an ideal place to retire. Any thoughts out there about a good combination of places to live and access to excellent disc golf?

If it were for me, I'd go somewhere in the Portland suburbs. No sales tax, and if you are retired, income tax is less of a worry. Great golf all over as well.

Places like Grand Rapids could appeal if the climate was better too.

Seems like a few good spots in TX?

I would look at a combination of affordable housing, good medical services, decent cost of living, and a plethora of courses, in that order. ;)

I would look at a combination of affordable housing, good medical services, decent cost of living, and a plethora of courses, in that order. ;)

^^^ yeah and if there aren't a plethora of courses, try to get some approved and put in the ground. Only time I don't mind seeing #growthesport.

(1) What's a good place to retire, outside of disc golf? I don't know, but most people who retire to somewhere else, retire to a place with warm winters or, even better, mild year-round weather.

(2) Does our retiree seek out the most epic courses, or has he reached an age and condition where great but less-challenging courses are more appealing? Does cart-friendly matter?

Clearwater Florida.

Large number of great courses and no income tax. Also, real golf is not that expensive in that part of Florida. Warm weather year round. I visit the area almost every winter.

Clearwater Florida.

Large number of great courses and no income tax. Also, real golf is not that expensive in that part of Florida. Warm weather year round. I visit the area almost every winter.

That's what I was thinking.....some pretty good disc golf in the Tampa area, and Orlando, without a lot of hills. And if you miss hills, you'll be there when the Canyon makes its annual appearance, plus, being retired, you can play during the weekday practice times.

And, obviously, there's something about Florida that's attractive to a lot of retirees.

....I'm not assuming a retiree is in such bad shape as to avoid hills. But in another 10 or 20 years, he might be.

If it were for me, I'd go somewhere in the Portland suburbs. No sales tax, and if you are retired, income tax is less of a worry. Great golf all over as well.

Places like Grand Rapids could appeal if the climate was better too.

Seems like a few good spots in TX?

I would say no to GR. Golf isn't very good, weather is crap much of the year.

I would say no to GR. Golf isn't very good, weather is crap much of the year.

Agreed on the weather, but I liked the courses. Different strokes though.

Clearwater Florida.

:| ...

Attachments

• fl.jpg
    fl.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 52
Tampa Bay Area

No state income tax, warmth (in spades), solid DG course selection on both sides of Tampa Bay as well as to the south in Bradenton/Sarasota.