• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Places to Retire and Play Disc Golf?

I consider myself semi-retired since I only work to buy groceries now-a-days. South/southeast is where it's at for me. I'd like to eventually get to a great disc golf area in Tennessee (no state income tax) one day that has little traffic. But, I'm enjoying my time in northern Alabama currently.

As a retiree, someplace south of the Mason Dixon sounds like retirement hell. Great people, great food, but I'm miserable with temps above 80°. The RV thing, now you're talking. Since my bride still works we're pretty much grounded in Western NY. That said, we do have a camper, and we're spending a lovely week in Maine. And this ranks high on my list. As does Colorado, Washington, Cali, and Alaska. Without a lot of thought there is a theme there. ;)

Inland SC is super affordable and not far from beaches (Charleston) and the mountains (Asheville) if you have interest outside of dg. Greenville, SC is a great inland city near Asheville and Charlotte with lots to do.

Inland SC is super affordable and not far from beaches (Charleston) and the mountains (Asheville) if you have interest outside of dg. Greenville, SC is a great inland city near Asheville and Charlotte with lots to do.

But you have to have a high tolerance for the color orange.

Other than that, yeah. A good number of good courses---including some fine short courses---and a fairly short drive to Charlotte, if you want a lot more. A few degrees cooler than the deeper South. You can see mountains from there.

But that orange....

A lot to think about

This is a very interesting question. There are a lot great places for disc golf but do you want to go somewhere already built, well known, and possibly busy; maybe somewhere hidden and growing; or the next great place that has a lot of untapped potential? Do you want to go someplace with an already well establish community that is large and diverse where you can take advantage of all that support, or somewhere with a small group of players where you can have a very large influence on the direction of the sport there? For courses would you select quality over quantity? Does the availability of tournaments figure into your calculation? You can play DG in any weather so does climate matter a lot? So many things to think about

Last edited:
That's what we've done for 7.5 years. North or up into the mountains in the summer, back south in the winter. Hitting DG courses along the way...

So, if the engine in the RV blew up and you had to wait a month to fix it, where would be the best place to be stuck?

So, if the engine in the RV blew up and you had to wait a month to fix it, where would be the best place to be stuck?

Somewhere else, where it wouldn't take month to fix it, I'd say.

I guess that would depend on the time of year. Summer, I'd want to be up in the Rockies. Winter, I'd take Central Texas.

But we have a one-ton pickup and a fifth wheel trailer. Getting a Ford pickup repaired is pretty easy.

Charlotte does sound nice. Portland is a lot of fun but cold rainy winters would be miserable on arthritis. I'll take our Wisconsin snow over that.

Any place can do. Lived and spent my working years in Iowa, retired 11 years ago and stayed right there. Took up the sport 4-5 years ago. Lots of nice courses within an hours drive or so, one of them about 5 minutes from my house. Play almost every day spring summer and fall and my body can use a break for a couple of months or so in the winter time. Always thought I would like to move south when retired, but things change, I don't tolerate the heat like I used to and I come to appreciate Iowa more every year. Oh yeah, and grandkids live nearby. :thmbup:

Sounds a lot like St. Louis...

St. Louis was it a recent survey of retirement cities. IIRC it came in 30 out of 100. As for the weather, if you don't like it hang around a while. I've lived here for sixty years and have worn shorts in winter and seen snow in June. And yeah the humidity sucks in summer. But not as bad as AR or LA. You do get used to it.

Florida, none of my buddies have jobs down there. They're all in there late 50's and 60's. When I go down to play with them we meet every afternoon about 5. Why 5, well "It's 5 o'clock somewhere" and it's time for a drink and a round. I plan on joining them in a couple more years.

Latest posts