• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] 'best' putters for spin putts

I use a Fluid Judge. Works great; it's a little stiffer than Classic Blend and that makes it better for spin putting, I think.

I use a Fluid Judge. Works great; it's a little stiffer than Classic Blend and that makes it better for spin putting, I think.

That's interesting. Neither of my Fluid Wardens are stiffer than any of my Classic Blend Wardens or Judges. YMMV, of course.

That's interesting. Neither of my Fluid Wardens are stiffer than any of my Classic Blend Wardens or Judges. YMMV, of course.

Yeah, it doesn't have as much give and is harder. I leave quite a few putts short with Classic but I don't have that issue with Fluid; it feels more solid leaving my hand.

^ i think what he is saying is it doesnt matter what others prefer as long as its comfortable in your hand and you have the confidence to use it. so no,it doesnt matter what he uses. some people use drivers and mids for putters and make putts with them,could they do better with a putter? probably but they're comfortable with it and thats all that matters. if you dont have confidence in your putter and putt,you wont be making ,many.

Re-read what that person I quoted said.

Then re-read what I said.

Then re-read what you said.

Let me know if/how your mind has changed.

No it matters. Huge difference for example in a zone from a spin. Even from 15 feet.

Pish. I spin putt RFF Wizards, but inside the circle just about any disc works. I've sat in my backyard putting with Zones inside the circle, and they work just as well as anything else. It doesn't really matter what you're putting with until you get outside of 30' or so. Hell, I've putted using flat top Firebirds to beat them in, and made nearly as many with those as with my regular putters.

So, you have ~25 replies with almost as many recommendations... time to go to a retailer and fondle some putters until you find one that fits your hand/preference.

Personally, I'm a spin putter & have used challengers, wizards, & now judges, all with relative success. You may be asking yourself why I make changes if I'm having success... because of plastic type, consistency, & an ever evolving "need".

Putters are a personal preference, & a lot of that comes down to feel, brand preference, & confidence. So, the truest answer I can give is that you have to figure out what works for you & that requires a fair amount of personal trial & error. Any "advice" from the peanut gallery is anecdotal & should probably be taken with a grain of salt.

Pish. I spin putt RFF Wizards, but inside the circle just about any disc works. I've sat in my backyard putting with Zones inside the circle, and they work just as well as anything else. It doesn't really matter what you're putting with until you get outside of 30' or so. Hell, I've putted using flat top Firebirds to beat them in, and made nearly as many with those as with my regular putters.

so why are you so die hard wizards if they can be so easily replaced?

Supersoft Omega Big Bead for me. But I have learned I prefer greatly prefer deep putters and slightly prefer soft putters

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Putters are a personal preference, & a lot of that comes down to feel, brand preference, & confidence. So, the truest answer I can give is that you have to figure out what works for you & that requires a fair amount of personal trial & error. Any "advice" from the peanut gallery is anecdotal & should probably be taken with a grain of salt.

True, but sometimes a helpful nugget comes from that anecdotal advice. Doesn't hurt to ask nor answer...

I got paired with an old man in league that couldn't miss with one of those abominations.

It shattered me.

Humblebrag:
I won the putting contest at Am Worlds in 1998 with an 86 Softie.
Dude in second nearly had a meltdown.

Let me preface by saying I know there's no 'best' putter.

I'm looking for recommendations for putters from people who utilize spin putts. I like a shallow feel putter - it just seems like wardens are a little floaty? Maybe it's because I'm new to the technique? I've heard people having success with things from wizards and challengers, over to aviars and ringers. What do?
Deputy/Judge was my go to putter, but changing now because they are too floaty for me (I have 7 or 8 - ugh). I still use it 15' or less, for now, but at 15' or less I can hit 95% with almost any putter. Currently favor a used Aviar DX - flies straight, low glide. My second choice is currently a used MVP Atom, especially for longer putts and longer approach shots. The 3-3 speed-glide gets it more distance easily. My issue so far is the Atom is a little too grippy in my hand - still working on getting a clean release consistently. I am mostly against too much glide, but if disc flies straight, and I am used to the glide - well, it might work for me on longer putts and longer approach shots. Here is my main thing with my (spin) putters - must be heavy weight. I had several beginner putters, including an Aviar DX - total garbage, because the light weight causes them to float, glide, turn and/or fade. For me, light weight putters miss more, and land further from the chains when they miss. On my current list to check out soon: Berg/Bullfrog - supposed to be straight, no glide - good for aggressively seeking the chains, and stopping and staying where you throw them if they miss. Also actively seeking more used heavy weight Aviar DXs, hoping they work like the one I have now - I like ten of my putter of choice for practicing with. Good luck in your search.

I'm a pretty heavy spin putter, and I've been using Wizards for most of my frolfing years.

Also, sweet necrobump.