• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best thing I can do off course

reedy212

If I'm not able to make it out to the course, what are some of the best things I can do to improve my game?

Putting at trees? Just whipping drives at the park?

I'm not able to view the majority of the technique sticky links with my works streaming video lock down, so my apologies if that's all those videos are off course stuff.

Spend time in an open field and throw all your discs, watch how they fly. Adjust the angle of release and the power you use and watch them fly. Get familiar with the tendencies of each disc, see if you can throw them on repeatable lines. If you throw BH, spend time with your FH and vice-versa. Set goals for yourself and work to accomplish them.

Regimented practice of whatever variety you can get in, and/or improves your weakest skillset.

Practice putting as much as you can. You can use trees, objects, a box on a stick...whatever. It's the motion and repeatable mechanics that are important.

If you can throw in a field, great. But don't just throw every disc as far as you can, as tempting as that is. Utilize available resources to work on shaping specific shots. As an example, I regularly throw on a football field that also has nearby soccer nets, so I set myself up to throw around the goalposts at the soccer nets to force different release angles and lines. Find what works for you, and try to make it fun so it doesn't feel like a chore.

Also, general fitness never hurt anyone.

Buy (or build) a practice basket. I find it alot easier to practice putting when it seems more official.

Cross-train...some people say its best to do something that will help strengthen your core.

I've read good reports from disc golfers who have tried cross-fit, but haven't done it myself.

I swim laps pretty seriously, and I think the core strengthening from that has helped to improve my driving distance. In the pool you can get a very solid full body workout in less than an hour and it's a great option when the weather is bad.

I also play pickup basketball games at the gym, but I don't think it does much to help with disc golf. Testosterone-raging trash talk doesn't usually come into play on the disc golf course. :\

Testosterone-raging trash talk doesn't usually come into play on the disc golf course. :\

Crap!!! I had been practicing this rather than worrying about stupid putting. No wonder my scores haven't been coming down!

Full body stretching, grip strenghting, putting at home.

If you mostly play at your home course, venture out more often.

For putting practice, should I stick with only my putter, and just throw, walk, throw, walk.
Or would I be able to get some decent practice putting with my drivers and mid ranges too?

Get a couple more putters, honestly, if your goal is serious improvement.
Otherwise, do whatever you want. :)

i had a stack of different putters from my early learning and would putt with all of them. once if tound my favorite . i found that getting three of the same putter helped improve my putting right away.

For putting practice, should I stick with only my putter, and just throw, walk, throw, walk.
Or would I be able to get some decent practice putting with my drivers and mid ranges too?

Ya, I would definitely suggest to not practice putting with drivers and mids. Practice with the same type of putter you actually putt with. I find a good practice number to be 2-3 discs, that way you're still doing some walking to get discs (simulating actual play). I've also heard it can be good to do both kinds of putting practice. Sometimes, you take a stack of putters and just putt them off rapid fire to work on muscle memory. Then other times, you use only 2 or 3 for practice simulating an actual round. Sorry if that was more than you were looking for.

A lot of great suggestions here...

One I would throw into the mix would be what I call the 100 in two.

I learned this drill from a DGA video I believe, I can't remember. Anyhow, the gist is that good players will get get their disc in the basket within two throws when 100 feet out.

So grab your basket (or find a tree), pace out 100 feet and try to get it so your approach leaves you with a nice easy putt.

Don't forget to vary your shots though!!! It's very important. You won't always have a clean line to the basket so try and find obstacles to throw around/through/over etc. If you don't have obstacles, pretend that they are there and work on a hyzer approach, an annhyzer, straight, low shots, flop shots (what I call going over a tree), etc...

You'll be surprised how quickly you begin to learn each of your approach discs. For instance, I use my putter on nearly anything within 100 feet, but will grab my roc for extreme hyzer shots.

Play around... you'll quickly see why this drill translates so well to the course. At the very least, you're getting both putting and approach practice in, you don't need a HUGE field, and it's something you will do on EVERY hole.

Hope this helps!